Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Best Chip? ... Potato?

Ok, I know that there has been posts like this previously... But I did a search and nothing quite specific concluded; If you catch my drift.
All right, here is the all mighty question...........

-> Which is the best chip? (for both the early and late 944)

See, I've ran across numerous chips for this model; But I am having a hard time decided on which is (quote on quote) "better".
So, in your opinion... Which is better; and why.

Thanks for your time guys.
Drive safe now.
Bye.

ps. I've been leaning towards frwilk's chip becasue of what i've read about it... but the newest chip i've run across was the "Powerchip"... from Performace Products...
Old 09-29-2003, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

rennlister's like steveR's chip and Guru's chip
steve maybe a little more from what I gather
Old 09-30-2003, 12:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If it is a NA car, the ONLY chip worth having is FR Wilk's.

Jay

"Don't retreat, reload." Sarah Palin
Old 09-30-2003, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
well if you have an early model, the ONLY chip (literally) is FRWilk's... and people seem to rave about it. I am getting one soon. I promise.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 09-30-2003, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
I've got the fr wilk chip,
Powerchip seems $$$$
But I haven't used anything else.

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 09-30-2003, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
my .02c worth-i have the dual chip set up in my car (FR.W.}. first time out, you will notice the difference, mainly in how the power comes on, at lower revs, and is willing to rev more freely.
i tested mine over a 6 week period, before i made any conclusions.
i drove the car 2 weeks, in the standard position, then changed back to power prom, and thats when you really appreciate what this chip does for your cars driveability. 2 weeks later, changed back to standard, and beginning to wonder what is wrong with the car.
there are a few subtle changes made, that make the car more driveable, and the fact that i do not have to press the loud pedal all the way down, to move quickly from rest, is excellent.
if you are expecting the difference to be like driving standard car, and then a turbo, you are going to be mistaken. this is an upgrade, on the original tuning, and makes the most of what you have, as against a general, one size fits all type of tuning. i read all kinds of negative comments, about chips in general, and even FR.W. gets some negative noise, but as i have found, you get exactly what the man says! i do notice better accelleration, engine pulling strongly from 2000rpm, and most important to me, i only have to use a small amount of pedal movement, to send the car forward, with good velocity. i have tried a fast response throttle cam, and did not like the pedal "feel", so this chip/modification i feel is great value.
regards, bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Well thanks guys... Much help...
(and thanks bob for being quite thorough)

Something I put together for fun...
Based on opinion for the early 944 model.

... and the others can eat it. lol

All right.. Stay safe all.
Bye.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I noticed about the same results as Bigyagi on my 87na. Much smoother, quicker response, a touch more power, and my fuel mileage really did not change.

As a side note. I ran a generic EBAY sold power chip before FR's. No comparason. FR's is worth the money hands down.

Jay
(FR, you know where to send my kick back..... my account at Pelican)

"Don't retreat, reload." Sarah Palin
Old 09-30-2003, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Dorito, cool ranch or Nacho cheesier. for a N/A, Wilks has the best that I've tried, a marked improvement over stock. See my testimonial on his site, and I have endorsed it religiously throught these threads.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.

Last edited by todwic; 09-30-2003 at 06:42 PM..
Old 09-30-2003, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: