Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

CV Joint or Bearings?

So right after I went to a DE I started hearing a very. very faint thumping sound coming from the rear. I assumed it was a somewhat flat-spotted tire from an unfortunate incident where over-exuberance landed me sideways. Kept it on the track though .

Anyhow- the thumping has ever so gradually gotten louder. it can't be a tire anymore. I am taking it to the shop on Friday. Now, taking a guess I thought maybe something to do with a CV joint or bearing might be to blame. The sound gets faster with vehicle speed, and at some point around 45mph gets difficult to detect. Sound is independent of transmission (in fact, it has been there for two trannys now). Any thoughts on what it is and what it is going to cost your penniless friend?
Old 09-30-2003, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Bearings. Or one big bubble on your tire!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 09-30-2003, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Custom User Title

How expensive are bearings? Can they do it in a day?

Please excuse my ignorance, someday I'll know what I'm talking about!
Old 09-30-2003, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A rear wheel bearing costs about 60 bucks. It can be done in a day. It took me a weekend, however. Some do it without removing the arm from the vehicle with a puller. Didn't have the puller so I did it by removing the trailing arm, heating it, and using a press as described in the P manual. Bought my bearing at Pelican. Don't forget to change the nut which has to be torqued to 360 ft-lbs. It's a single use nut.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 09-30-2003, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Seals! Don't forget the seals!!!!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 09-30-2003, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Since when did wheel bearings thump? All the ones I've ever replaced made a roaring sound. I'm leaning on CV joints or tires.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

It might just be that the grease in your CV joints need packing - sometimes, if they've seen a few years use the grease hardens. It only takes an hour our so to pull the shafts, clean out the muck and repack.

I had this happen to me and it sounds very similar to what I experienced.

Also ... it sounds similiar to a cracked bearing race which I have also experienced - this occured twice and turned out to due to a worn stub axle. You could look for this whilst checking whether you need to repack. The CV bolts are usually torx M8s but they are often replaced with conventional cap head (allen) screws so be sure to check - I got suckered when one side was cap head but the other was torx - I was annoyed to damage one of them with an allen wrench prior to noticing the discrepancy.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 09-30-2003, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: