Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
Question gas...

yes i know that we are supposed to put 91 octane or better (premium) gas in our cars but does anyone not??? what happenes if we dont???

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Actually these cars are quite happy with 87 octane. There are even DME settings that will let you use lower octane -- if you have to.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 09-30-2003, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Wife sez I have an endless (and incredibly toxic) supply of the methane variety, I may go LMG power next year.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

87 and it runs great.

"may the force be with you"
Old 09-30-2003, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Todwic!!!!

Has it cooled down in FreeShow yet?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
but SHOULDN'T we use 93 octane? won't it leave less engine deposits, etc?
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 09-30-2003, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
Using a higher octane couldn't hurt- my car loves Chevron 93 with techron- but 87 is all that the manual specifies. I haven't seen any raw data comparing the differences between 944s using premium vs. regular fuel, but I'd definately be interested if anyone here has any observations. I honestly don't know the difference between my car running on regular vs premium, because I've never filled her up with regular! Maybe next time I'll pump some 87 octane just to see how the car behaves. I recall reading tests of some newer cars (the Honda Accord in particular), where performance actually decreased when premium fuel was used, becasue the engine was designed to run most efficiently on regular. I have that magazine article somewhere around the house, I'll have to go back and read it again.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 09-30-2003, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My S2 was OK on 87 but idled rougher and had more tendancy to stall at idle when hot.

It definitely felt MUCH happier on better stuff - but it would still drive on 87.

Mark

2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe, 280hp, Black
Old 09-30-2003, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

hey, if you can find 93 here in the US let me know. I want some!
Old 09-30-2003, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Three porsche 944s...all three guzzle 87 octane and love it
Old 10-01-2003, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
my car is slower when I use 87 octane gas instead of 93. I think it can be attributed to my really heavy billfold weighing the car down with all the money saved by using the 87. With the wallet left at home I can't "feel" any difference. All tests were conducted in a controlled enviornment using the official Seat -Of-O-Pants Dyno.
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 10-01-2003, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I've burned 87 in mine since the day I brought it home. I've just recently been running experiments on burning 89 and now 91 octane gas.

The only reason for my change in gas is to see if I can get the MPG up. For some reason, I haven't been able to get better than 22mpg highway. I think I need to go throughout my whole fuel injection system, and give it a good cleaning, maybe install some new fuel pressure regulators, and check the cat out to see if it may be clogged.

Otherwise, changing the octane, I've noticed no difference at all.
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 10-01-2003, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Running anything higher than what the manual states is throwing away money. Using higher octane actually can hurt performance. Higher octane fuel is actually more difficult to ignite (which it should be if it's more resistant to detonation) and will make your car run worse if anything. These gains are only in your mind...

BlueQuest- regular tune-up maintenance and the O2 sensor are usually mpg killer culprits. Check them first.

-nick
Old 10-01-2003, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
ok cool, i was just wondering because on the inside of the gas door it says use 91 or better. and ronin, in middletown, OH (where im from) i saw 94 octane at the the pump... confused the hell out of me.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

running lower than specified octane can slightly impede performance but running higher than specified octane will not help it. essentially by running a different octane you are changing the A/F ratio slightly.
i run 89 cause i dont know what porsche recommends
Old 10-01-2003, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Most of the time I put in 87.

But after I got my Damper Plate in... I asked the porsche mechanic about what octane to use.. and he said. 87.

"87 works beautiful.. do do do, da da da... But anything higher doesn't really hurt"

I've used 87, 89, and 91... All at seperate times (as a test).. and i've felt, (atleast in my opinion) 89 gave me a little more torque. Hard to explain, but it just felt that way.

*Everything above was based on the truth... And lies. lol.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Octane won't change the A/F. All that changes is the point during the combustion cycle that fuel ignites. Low octane will ignite earlier (sometimes too early giving pre-ignition- aka detonation) high octane is slightly more resistant to combustion and will ignite a little later. It's a very similar effect to that of simply advancing or retarding the ignition timing.

The recommended octane will be in the owner's manual and is primarily a function of your compression ratio and the ignition map.

-nick
Old 10-01-2003, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

not sure whether it's psychosomatic or not but whenever I run less than 91 octane, the car has a tendency to lose performance after a tankful or so. I tried running midgrade a while back when fuel prices soared to save some money but the apparent loss in performance wasn't worth it so I switched back. until I know for sure, I'm sticking with super
Old 10-01-2003, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Oh my God,87 octane gas still exists??

Europe,ancient continent,still at the lead...we only have 95 and 98 octane unleaded,and 97 octane leaded fuel hehehehe

However,yours is cheaper....

Octane is a matter of compression,the more you get,the more compression you can achieve without detonation....i think more than 91 octane on the 944 has only benefits if you try to get more compression than stock.,but less it would have more tendency to detonate (at high requirements,of course)
Old 10-01-2003, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by nickd
BlueQuest- regular tune-up maintenance and the O2 sensor are usually mpg killer culprits. Check them first.

-nick
Yep, I've done plugs and wires already to try to help it out. Cap and rotor look good(cleaned the carbon off the contacts).

I'm doing timing belts, and will adjust timing here shortly.

Only thing I hadn't considered yet is the O2 sensor.
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 10-02-2003, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: