Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Macfreak007
Angry The infamous wheel locks

Okay i have been trying for about a month now to get my wheel locks off and i have totally been unsucessful, i have tried practically everything, i even got the original key from the PO, 5 pin socket thing, but it was a little broken not a problem made some pins myself, but i still cannot get them off, what to do now, any idea, what has worked for other people, i am getting very angry, they are only on the back wheels and they are very very tight, I'm stuck!
here look, these damn things!!!
Old 09-30-2003, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Have you considered going to a tire shop ? They encounter keyless wheel locks all the time . I know they make special tools to remove wheel locks. A good shop should be able to remove the locks for a miminal cost .

If you don't want to do that, I would try a good punch and hit the holes on the lock in the direction to remove the lock.

Shawn
87 944na
Automatic
Old 09-30-2003, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

haha first suggestion down, thats what i thought too shawn, wheel shops say their wheel removal kits wont work on it, and the puch didn't work either tried it, ended up breaking a punch. haha anyone else want to give it a go?
Old 09-30-2003, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Drill two of the holes in the "nut", opposite each over, oversize for the next size up dowel pin. Should be a slip fit. Might have to buy number drills to do this.

Do the same for the "key". The holes in the key should be press fit. Again are talking about number drills and possibly reamers not every day drill bits.

Make the holes on both as deep as possible. Match the length of the dowel pins so that the key and nut touch each other.

If this fails then get a cobalt drill bit and start drilling on the nuts.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 09-30-2003 at 07:11 PM..
Old 09-30-2003, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title

WD40. Copious amounts of WD40.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Follow exactly...

1. Jack up the car to a 40 degree angle.
2. Get that gorilla that escaped from the zoo last week... (the one that body slammed a two year old... By doing so, he shows he has strength)
3. Ask him nicely to take the lock off... Or rather, rip the tire off.

BAM! Problem solved...

lol.. No but seriously man.. umm..
I am thinkng the drilling should work.
My friend had the same problem, and did exactly the same steps as SoCal stated, and it came off.

Good luck bro.
Bye.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm sure a locksmith would get in to it and make you a key for about $10. Don't hold me to that though. LOL
Old 10-01-2003, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

A surefire bet is to tape a block of C4 right to the lock itself, and blast the bastards off.
-
- Web Master & Used Part Guru From
- www.stuttgartparthaus.com
------------------------------------------------
Old 10-02-2003, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

If the car is driveable have a mate hold the tool in place (assuming it has either a 1'2 socket or a hexagonal head to get a socket on) with the handle of a breaker bar on the ground. Position so it will brace in the direction the nut undoes (according to which side of the car you're on) Drive the car forward (or reverse) slowly so it cracks the corrosion and loosens the nut. Do it slowly as I've always been doubtful as to the strengh of those pin type tools. That's how we always shifted it on army trucks. Use antiseize coppa slip to prevent this in the future.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 10-02-2003, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Sternn
A surefire bet is to tape a block of C4 right to the lock itself, and blast the bastards off.

Oooo! Shaped charges!
Old 10-02-2003, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
no good punch should break on that piece, use a better punch, or a nice sharp chisel. don't try to do it all in one whack, go slow and chip away at it. also, you might put the other lug nuts on tightly, to push the wheel toward the hub, releasing some of the back pressure on the locking nut. in my mind, it's already off.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

weld a nut to it and take it off with a socket.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Okay socal and rammstein and Tsanp i am combining all of your advice and am gonna try it this week, the plan.... coat w/ wd40 daily, get # drills, drill two holes in key and in lock, make 2 pins out of extremly strong piano tuning wire, best thing i can come up w/ then tighten down the other nuts and try and take lock off. if this fails i am gonna be extremyl angry, but i guess we will see, might have to do welding, which i have never done
Old 10-05-2003, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
my brothers suggestion, (sixbanger) is the one we use. take it to a garage where they get inventive with repairs, and have them weld a nut to it(the lock piece), and unscrew it. they know how to do it if they are a good shop. you will not likely remove it with paino wire, and may hurt yourself.(cuts, knuckebusters)
Old 10-05-2003, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Go to a good industrial hard ware store and get dowel pins. If not then get the largest music wire, possibly 1/4" diameter, and use a dremel cut off wheel to keep the heat down on the wire.

The trick is to have as deep a hole as possible to insert the pins into. Both in the nut and the key.

I have these type of locks on my car and do not over torq the "nut". Yes it is the last to be torq'd.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
i'll bet you have it off already, and are kicked back in the recliner admiring your work!
Old 10-06-2003, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

If you already have the appropriate tool (or can repair it as per SoCal's advice) I still think you ought to try using the movement of the car to turn that nut - it has to be worth giving a shot first before destroying the nut with more aggressive means.

I'm not sure that welding another nut over the top is a good idea - you may need to put so much heat into it that the wheel warps at that point. Certainly the paint on the wheel will be damaged.

If you find you can't wrestle it off perhaps you might be better off cutting the wheel stud flush with the nut using an angle grinder, centre-punching and drilling outwards with a succession of larger drill bits until the nut collapses. True, you will need to get a replacement stud but that might prove the easiest, quickest and cheapest route.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 10-06-2003, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap,.....whirrrrrr....spinnnnn....
Old 10-06-2003, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
did you really break the punch??????????? i would like to see that pix!
Old 10-06-2003, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

hahaha yeah i broke a punch on it, kinda crappy actually, i was so mad, this whole project is just crappy. I am going to try all of these things on maybe tommorrow, or thursday, and i will tell you results. If they don't come off after this week i will just have to take it in and get the wheels destroyed and them taken off.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: