Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
T-belt and water pump r and r question

OK folks, I have a coolant leak by the water pump. I checked the hoses in that area, they were dry. I then removed the upper belt cover and everything was dry, but the belt on the right side moves about half an inch when pushed. (balance belt?). The belt on the left moves a little less. My records indicate that a re-manufactured pump and new belts were installed just less than 40,000 miles ago. I'm gonna get this car fixed. How hard is a timing belt/waterpump replacement compared to doing a clutch job on these cars? I judge everything on a clutch job, since that has been ths toughest thing I have ever done on a car. Any educated opionion very welcome!
Old 09-30-2003, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Novice owners do it all the time. Insurance is a flywheel lock to keep the engine from accidently turning.

It's recomended that you pull the balance shaft and crank pulleys to remove the back cover but I've cut the back cover in half just below the water pump and saved myself the trouble. Think I have a marked up picture some where that shows the cut.

Takes a day to do it the first time -- eight hours.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you SoCal.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

SoCal,

wish I would have thought to cut my rear cover; good tip
Old 10-01-2003, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by repoman
SoCal,

wish I would have thought to cut my rear cover; good tip
Have to find that mark up. Two computers and 200 gigs of data!
Old 10-01-2003, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
OK... I feel like I'm at a Jedi convention! SoCal... I know you must be VERY busy replying to imps like me, but I must ask for details. I wanna change ALL belts and water pump (plus all the rollers and bearings I need to). Can you recommend a site for details? I have the Haynes manual. I bet you know the whole mess well, I got a feeling! Hey, I wanna get this car in top shape and then sell her to get a 86-88 carerra.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Michael,

I used Haynes manual, Clark's garage web pages, Excellence 944 tech articles from back issues, and Blazak tool web pages. Overkill. Haynes & Clarks would be enough.

Car up on ramps, Special tools: Optclick tool, Lots of ziploc bags, paint pen for marking, flywheel lock, balance shaft sprocket wrench, gear puller, torque wrench. feeler gauge, digital camera

did belts, turbo water pump, belt tension rollers, front balance seals.
turbo pump is a noticable improvement.

toughest parts were pulling crank pulley and removing/attaching dist cap.

taking my time, methodical and doublechecking took 8 hrs divided up into 2 hour segments. not hard to do at all. have fun
Old 10-02-2003, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks repoman. Your reply makes me feel better. Balance shaft wrench... thats a new one. I can borrow all the other ones but that and the tensioner tool.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Make sure you install the belt idler pulleys in the correct orietation. One side has a lip. Do not reverse them.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 10-02-2003, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

You can get by without the special balance shaft wrench. Go to a local tool house and ask for an adjustable spanner (not the Brit version). I got mine for $12. They are used to change the wheels on surface grinders.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Pelican probably sells these too:

Performance Parts p/n

904996 balance shaft sprocket holder; used to hold sprocket in place when tightening hold-down nut

911741 tension adjuster; for turning balance belt adjuster

couple things I remembered:

before checking tension on timing belt, hand rotate engine 1 rev; this evenly pre-tensions belt.

no requirement to do this to balance belt

On timing belt tensioner mounting stud: it's recommended to replace but I couldn't see a way to remove mine without damage so it stayed.

It is very important to apply counterforce to this stud when tightening, loosening tension roller. Otherwise you will weaken it and if it breaks with engine running....

I'm no 944 expert but decent mechanic. I repeat, with documentation and proper tools this is an easy job and well worth the piece of mind.
great thing about 944 is all the DIY info on web. Other reference I used was 944 maintenance video & all the postings on belts & waterpumps in this forum

My car was re-engined 45K miles ago from previous owner. My old timing belt was spot-on concerning tension but had a very small fray on edge. Balance belt looked like new. Car had been parked dead for 5 years.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Dave951,

now do I feel dumb! I already had one of those spanners!

oh well, not first time I bought an extra tool

on related note I found a 24" long 1/2" drive in a 3' cheater bar worked well for hand-rotating engine.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
You only need the pin spanner and large breaker bar if you don't cut the back cover in half.

You do need them if you have to reseal the balance shafts and crank front main seal.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
OK. I've found my mark up on cutting the back cover. Remember I have an 83 so the back cover was never modified for the newer water pump and the metal "fence".

Here:

Old 10-02-2003, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
would it be possible if we got a sticky on the board that lists all the parts and tools needed to do a complete belt job? when i say complete i mean seals pump and everything?

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Sticky should say, "do a search of this forum" ;-)

Search - belts and tcmdocs944 - I posted lots and lots of pics of the whole process and got some great answers to my questions. Also search - belts and overkill - good info and at worst you'll get a hell of a laugh finding out why his name is overkill.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Oh, Socal...great pic!
Can't decide about cutting though...moot point as the next time I am in there I will be fixing the slow leak at the crank.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
If you are resealing then do all of the shafts. Have to take the cover off then.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: