Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to ds475
Radiator fans won't work

my radiator fans rarely come on, and my car gets hot quick. even if i turn on the a/c, the fan don't come on... what do i do? i'm about to just finish off my car, and just drive it off a cliff.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Check the fuses and relays first. Do both fans come on with the AC on?

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 09-30-2003, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
An air pocket in the radiator can keep the temp switch from switching.

Oil in the coolant.

Clogged radiator.

Sticking thermostat.

Slipping t-belt on pump pulley.

Bad temp switch.

A leak in the cooling system can keep it from pressurizing.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

mine had a faulty ground or earth wire connection.So my local auto electrician told me. Anyway the fans now work ok.Put roil gold oil additive metal conditioner in.It saved my engine when it overheated.Do a web search and buy some.
944 guards red 82- slotted rear turbo spoiler- new dash cover- red dials - k@n dropin filter- throttle cam upgrade- astrali wood steering wheel {can now see temp guage}-(www.astrali.co.uk)blue/white fogs {RING}-reversing sensors-alpine cd-roil gold engine protection
Old 09-30-2003, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

the fans magically work sometimes, so i know it's not a fuse... but they RARELY ever actually come on.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Perhaps the temp gauge is not working right?
Old 10-01-2003, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

well, thats what I thought, but the a/c doesn't turn it on either. today when i get off work, i'm going to try wiring it direct to the battery... i need my fans!!!
Old 10-01-2003, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Just because the fans are spinning does not mean they will cool the engine if there is a gigantic air pocket or the thermostat is sticking or the radiator is plugged.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

well, on the rare occasion that they turn on, my engine cools rather quickly...
Old 10-01-2003, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to daveimme
Is the cooling fan relay hot? Mine would work intermittenly (when temp gets to halfway mark or when AC turned on, it should work) and the relay felt hot.....I would tap it and sometimes it would work.

Last week I took it to a local electric shop (guy is a muscle car affacinado- sp) and is real good with electrics stuff......fair priced, too..... and he found that one of the plug connections (pre 85.5 is 6 pronged) was not getting a good conection, thus the energy was being diverted around the plug. He tightened it and the fan has been flawless since and the relay is not hot anymore.

Something to check.......
83 Suzuki LT 125 (4 wheeler) (wife)
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
2000 Kawasaki KX 65 (son)
2003 Honda XR 50 (Son and daughter)
Old 10-01-2003, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Dave, Is this the contacts at the base of the relay?
Old 10-01-2003, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Yes....the base at which the relay plugs right into.

He suggested that if it does it again, then to get a new 'pedestal' or whatever the base is called...that is, IF one individual base can be found/replaced...
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 10-01-2003, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Think the bases are seperate. The ones in the newer fuse/relay housing I took off of an 86 has seperate bases. Even been thinking of putting the newer fuse/relay block in the 83.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

primary fan (driver's side): power from aux panel fuse 3 goes through two parallel circuits:
A: through slow speed resistor then radiator thermoswitch to ground. As voltage is always applied, if thermoswitch closed (170 deg), fuse, wiring good; fan runs in slow speed.

B: For high speed operation of this fan: 12V is on pin 30 and pin 87 of fan relay. But contacts are normally open, so voltage takes slow speed path

A control signal comes from the AC relay this closes contacts 30 to 87 on fan relay, short-circuits slow speed relay and fan runs in high speed.

This control signal from AC relay also closes A to B contacts in fan relay. This applies 12v path for AC fan (only high speed) AC fan is fed from fuse #5 in aux panel

What determines control signal to fire fans in high speed is a high temp condition detected by AC RELAY thermoswitch, not radiator switch thermoswitch and/or AC turned on.

So in a rising temp situation, AC off, driver's goes to slow speed, then both high speed if needed

AC on, both high speed

So if AC fan bad problem could be: fan, fuse 5, AC relay, fan relay

If primary bad on both high and low speeds problem could be fan, fuse 3, wire from fan relay to fan .

If bad in high speed only look to fan relay.

check out Clark's garage topic COOL-01

good luck
Old 10-07-2003, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

I had a very similar problem a few years back. What are the fuse connections like? When my fan started to become unreliable it was preceded by a rather unpleasant 'fishy' smell. Turns out this was the smell of the fuse getting very hot due resistance caused by slightly the corroded fuse holder - getting hotter burnt the metal and worsened the problem over the course of a day or so.

I'm told this is a fairly common problem with this particular olde worlde type of fuse and that the recommended Porsche fix is to get two replacement fuse holders and wire them up in parallel to service the same acillary. As I recall - and I did this some five years back now so I'm a little hazy on the subject - there is an additional space on the fuse holder next to the fan which allows you to do this quite neatly. I believe, and this is from memory so don't rely on it too heavily without checking, that I then used two fuses half the rate of the original fuse. It does mean that if the system does overload then you blow two fuses instead of one but it's hardly a huge expense.

I read this solution in Porsche World a long time back - I've forgotten why they don't just recommend replacing the holder - something to do with the ageing of wiring perhaps. I do remember that I'd tried just cleaning up the holder faces but that the heat had rendered them too soft to hold the fuse tight enough.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."

Last edited by Dark Skies; 10-08-2003 at 06:28 AM..
Old 10-08-2003, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Huh?

Yeah, it makes sense, but have to get into it to decipher it all. I know my fans are now working fine and was due to the relay being shorted. I think I'll check out Clark's garage a bit more, too, thanks....
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 10-08-2003, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

the reason I was up to speed was I was just working on mine; driver's fan locked and blew fuse

just got replacement fan in and had following results:

both fans high speed on rising temp and/or AC on

no slow speed on driver's

not going to troubleshoot further as it can only be one thing; slow speed resister open; have no idea where it is.

don't care; can live with it

it did give me a thought; for my emergency spares kit I'm going to make an alligator to 2 spade lug jumper with an in-line fuseholder; that way if AC or cooling relay ever fail I can get home
Old 10-08-2003, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by repoman

it did give me a thought; for my emergency spares kit I'm going to make an alligator to 2 spade lug jumper with an in-line fuseholder; that way if AC or cooling relay ever fail I can get home
Why not carry a few spare fuses? I have a few in the ash tray for easy retrieval.....
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 10-09-2003, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I've got fuses but as slow speed resister is open; if I lose AC relay or fan relay I'd lose all fan function. A whole box of 25A fuses couldn't help in that situation! Jumper cable would let me bypass them.

Porsche thought this out. Slow speed circuit has 2 functions: limit electrical demand during low cooling demand and to provide redundancy for relays.

I could always find that 50 cent slow speed resistor but I suspect it's inaccessible.....
Old 10-09-2003, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
The later fan circuit is even more fun to work on. Has a $150 relay.

My idea was to use the three pole temp switch and stage the newer six bladed fans. Turn one on full speed at the lower temp setting then the second if the second temp setting is reached.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: