Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Let's go shooting.

Bloody annoying leak

If my car(944 early 85) is parked either downhill or flat and it rains (hard) the interior of my car remains dry. Park her on an incline (sloped driveway or on axle stands (front only) and I will end up with about a coffee mug's worth of water neatly placed under the carpet in the rear passenger footwell behind the driver's seat (that 's on the right over here).

Water seems to be getting in from the front (I would assume) and running backwards but I can't see how because there is no damp section of carpet leading to the puddle - the surrounding area is dry save for where the carpeting leading up the front of the rear seat bench is immersed in the water - a few inches or so.

It's most odd - were it not for the fact that he's not allowed in the car I'd blame the dog.

I can tell you what it isn't. It's not a leaking sunroof - there are no signs of water ingress, the seals are only a few years old, their channels and drains are free of debri and the drain pipes are connected and not blocked.

The door seals are in good condition and none of the surrounding area is wet - just that one isolated section.

The bodywork is sound - no rust anywhere.

The wells above the scuttle (firewall) are clear of leaves and leak free - lined with fresh bitumen sound deadening material.

The carpeting on the inside of the firewall is dry.

The rear hatch seal is good and the surrounding seats and carpet are bone dry. Rear windows are leak free.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?

Any ideas?

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."

Last edited by Dark Skies; 10-02-2003 at 08:06 AM..
Old 10-02-2003, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
We here in the states have a problem with the battery mounting area. I think your battery is in the back?

This is the area under the back of the hood in front of the windshield on the right side of the car as you sit in it.

We blame it on the battery's weight but it could just be poor drainage that causes this area to rust through the seams.

Have to scarpe or grind away all of the factory paint and sealant to find the rust. Once the rust is removed do a bit of fiberglassing then recoat the area with sealant and paint it.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-02-2003, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Over here the battery is in the front but on the left - the reverse of continental and American exports. I DID find that there was a slight amount of rust a few days back - there's a tiny shouldered outlet between the wing and the battery and the rust had slightly nibbled at the shoulders of this drain. I removed the rust and radiused the remaining area to prevent a stress crack forming. The surrounding area seemed okay although I did have to chip away some of the bitumen-like painted material to ensure that moisture hadn't crept under it. After treating the rust I painted it with primer and then liberally painted both wells with a rubber undersealant paint compound. The thing is ... the water is on the wrong side of the car for this to have been the problem.

Old 10-02-2003, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
you could get in the car and have someone with a hose spary all over the outside for a while and see if you could find the leak. when i used to test sunroofs we had a hose connected to piping that hung over the cars so the water fell on it naturally. we let them sit for about 15-30 min.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If its the battery box area the latest fix seems to be POR-15, you can find it on the web. I am going to do the whole front drainage section of mine. They say it only takes the pint jar to do the whole thing. I too seem to have this pervasive leak, same way but only in very hard rain.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I did state the right side of the car -- with out the battery.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-02-2003, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Let's go shooting.

And I understood that you felt the weight of the battery was generally held to be the cause of the leak due it stressing the seams. That stress doesn't exist on the right hand side - totally rust free and painted simply to be thorough.

Old 10-02-2003, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
Also, you might want to check, if it rains really hard and the front of the car is raised, water can build up under the windhield and come into the heater opening in front of the dash, I had that happen once, went around a turn and it came spilling out, also fogged the windows up for a while when i gave it gas..
Old 10-02-2003, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
lol, youre car tried to drown you HAHA!

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: