Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to ds475
my car is seriously f***ed up

ok, my car ran fine yesterday, went, got some gas, (i put mid-grade in, instead of premium, just to try it out, and it ran fine last night. today, i go, start it up, the engine won't get above 400rpm if let to just idle, and my battery gauge is reading at like 10V, and if i give it gas, it runs like normal, and the battery gauge goes up. only thing i've changed was the gas... would it make THAT big of a difference?

I am very disappointed with my car so far, other than the handling... and i am starting to think this is the worst investment i have EVER made in my life.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yeh...no such thing as a cheap Porsche.
If you don't have to invest money, you have to invest time in learning and little fixes.

Gas is not the problem unless it was water contaminated.

Battery ground very likely the culprit. Has it rained? Did you put it through the car wash?

These cars when purchased mostly suffer from neglect. Either the PO didn't have the time, devotion or $ to put into someone else servicing it. They initially need more than there fair share to get them right but once they are, they are a true pleasure. They really are for enthusiasts.

I am not sure when you got your vehical but mine took me about 6 months to truly get over the learning curve mostly by working on it and this forum. It still needs a bit here and a piece there but it is getting damn close and more fun with every drive...Reliable too.

Good luck....hope we don't lose ya

BTW - I'll give you a grand for it!! ;-)
Old 10-02-2003, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

it was in the garage, and didn't go through the car wash, didn't even get wet yesterday. would vacuum tubes do this?
Old 10-02-2003, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I think your avatar is bring you bad luck.

Did you ever get a Haynes manual and read it?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-02-2003, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

ok, update, i let it run a little and warm up, and now it's iding at around 1000, (usually idles at 1200), and i'm gonna go take it and try to find a haynes. any ideas?
Old 10-02-2003, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Big auto parts stores. We have Pep Boys and Autozone and some other hinkey chain I can't remember.

If you can't find one then try eBay.

The Haynes will have a lot of answers for your questions.

Now about that avatar...
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-02-2003, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Idle too high.....

.............Get haynes...

......................Read the Historical Documents(search the forum)..

.............................Vacuum hose or throttle?.......

.....................................You really don't have a manual??.....
Old 10-02-2003, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hmmmmm idle df to high!!!

1989 911 3.2 Carrera sport
slate grey
Old 10-02-2003, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hay ds475,

If I may, Id like to encourage you to stick with it! Remember, you have an eighteen-year-old car. It is going to need TLC, and many things fixed. Yes it will be frustrating at times, and everyone here has gone though the feeling of what was I thinking. However, if you have the intestinal fortitude to see the project though to the end, you will be very happy!

Simple fact about 944s, or any older car, is that it is just a machine. Machines brake. If it is broken, it can be fixed! However, freaking out at the first sign of trouble will not help. Stay calm, think it through, and ask questions here. Trust me, I know! After I paid the previous owner for my car. I was driving out of his town (90+ miles to home). Well, just before getting to the highway, the clutch just dropped to the floor! My first reaction was to head back in the wifes car and get my money back. I was lucky enough to have a friend that is very good with cars, and educated me in the workings of a hydraulic clutch. Simple fix was just lifting the pedal, and it would engage. To make this short, a new master, and slave cylinder fixed the problem, and I am very glad I did not return the car!

If you saw the list of little things that need fixed on my car, then you can panic! Im just glad there is no bodywork that needs done! Id rather be on my back under the dash fixing wiring problems (something I actually get to do this winter), than do bodywork!

P.S. The local Autozone here had the haynes 944 83-89 on the shelf.

Give me a D Give me a Y Give me a S L E X I A!!
What do you get? Dilex.. Dislax.. Dylsia AHH F**K IT!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2003, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

ok... well i got a haynes... my car is running fine it seems now, and hasn't done that low idle thing again, and now my radiator fans kick on at the 3rd bar... why are my radiator fans magically working now?! oh well...
Old 10-02-2003, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
sounds like you have some loose grounds. might want to check the one to the block.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

electricity and how/when it really works/doesn't work is magic and illusions.

"may the force be with you"
Old 10-03-2003, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
why are you wasting your money on mid-grade gas?
Old 10-04-2003, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

why is mid-grade a waste?
Old 10-04-2003, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
It's not, I run 85 no problem. I think wasting money on 91~93 is far worse.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-04-2003, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dzachry
Both of mine run just fine on this cheep over priced California gas!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2003, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
Quote:
Originally posted by ds475
why is mid-grade a waste?

look in the owners manual or on the door of the gas cap...i'm pretty sure it tells you what to run
Old 10-05-2003, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Mine owners manual also specifies that a 16" wheel should be used, it does not make it right.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-05-2003, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Let's go shooting.

I'm inclined to agree with scheistermeiste regarding the engine ground to the firewall. It was this that proved responsible for my weird rough idle - despite the joining faces of all the connections being shiny clean and sound. You should try getting a nine inch braided (more flexible than a cable) earth strap (9 mm ID eyelets) and placing one end under the firewall earthing point and bolting the other down to an alternative point on the firewall. On mine there was a 6 mm hole to the left of the intake fan - I opened this up to 8.5 mm, cleaned away the paint and bolted the earth strap to this. It instantly solved the problem. The OE earth mounting seems particularly prone to problems for some reason. For the $3 you'll spend it seems a worthwhile investment. Even if it doesn't solve your problem it WILL prevent more that are likely to come your way soon.

I think it will solve your woes though; I believe the PO had my original problem, albeit erratic, and set the idle too high in order to compensate for the drop in idle (probably he was stalling a lot at lights and junctions etc.)

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 10-05-2003, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Oh, and don't forget to put some coppaslip over the fresh connections to deter corrosion. I put a dollop of rubber (Liquid Rubber) solution over my firewall mounting to protect it from moisture seeping onto the freshly exposed steel.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 10-05-2003, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: