Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to ds475
Brake lines, brake fluid, engine coolant, cleaning the radiator...

Is there any brand/type of braided brake lines that are better ? any recommendations on some well priced, decent braided brake lines? what kind of brake fluid do you recommend? should i flush out my radiator and replace the fluid?

(the guy who owned my P before me was a mechanic, and used to race 944's back in the day, but still, should i do this stuff anyway, i know he took real good care of the car...)

is it worth the expense/time?
how much would all that work cost me?

oh yea, what about new distributor wires? big improvement?

how much is MSDS? (probably too much...)

thanks in advance
Old 10-02-2003, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
PO was a mech and raced the 944 you have? Then why are you having so many problems with the car?

As to brakes: Power bleed the brakes. That is flush the existing fluid out of it with fresh fluid. Use a colored fluid so you know when each wheel has been flushed. Don't worry about fancy brake lines. The stock ones have been working just fine for many years.

Coolant: With winter coming (I think) it's a good time to refresh the coolant. There is a plastic drain on the engine side lower left of the radiator. This is possibly a colored plastic screw. This has an o-ring on it. Take off the radiator cap and then take the screw out. Catch the coolant and dispose of it properly. Put the screw back in and DO NOT over tighten it!!! The o-ring is what keeps the coolant in. You will break the screw off or strip it out.

Add water and anti freeze for aluminum engines in the correct proportion. Raise the front of the car by backing the rear wheels into the gutter at the end of a drive way. Open the bleed screw at the top of the engine where the top radiator hose bakes a 90 degree bend into the block. Put the radiator cap on, set the heater temp slider to hot and start the car. Wait till the air is pushed out of the engine and close the bleed screw. Do not over tighten this one either.

You may have to do this a few times to get all of the air out of the cooling system. Can be a real PITA!

A rotor, dist cap and a set of wires will help IF they are needed. Open up the hood in a really dark garage and start the car. If you see arcing from the wires to the engine then replace the wires. Here's the rub; the stock wire sets are about twice the price of the racey after market stuff. BUT the stock wires work the best for the car.

There is a way to replace just the wires if the end connectors are reusable.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MikeCT
When changing the coolant shouldn't you bleed the block also? Is there a cooling system cleaner that you can use? If so any recommendations? When bleeding the brakes what about the hydrolic clutch system, how do you know that it has all clean fluid also?

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull. - W. C. Fields
Old 10-02-2003, 11:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

really what so-cal said,

flush, dont use ANY rad flush stuff, that stuf can do more damge than good.

braid, dont use UNLESS racing, the brakes are tended to be checked more often when you race a car, than daily driver, can have problems with splitting.

saying that I used them on a 2.8icapri with no problems !

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 10-02-2003, 11:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Good call Mike. The clutch system does come off of the same reserviour as the brakes. Wouldn't hurt.

As to using a flushing solution; yes when you have had an oil cooler leak into the coolant. Takes forever to get the gunk out. I have a radiator that is fairly new that I had to replace because of this. Along with all of the hoses and heater valve.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Regarding braided hose:

I've always found Goodridge stainless steel hoses to be excellent, long-lasting, performance replacements. I've used them on all my big Kwak motorcycles, my 944 and my race car and swear by them. I've never had one fail - they supply to the aerospace industry and so they're top quality.

I've found the 'feel' of the brakes and clutch becomes much more positive when they're employed.

Check them out here: http://www.goodridge.net/

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 10-03-2003, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

he didn't race MY car, he raced other 944's... this was years before this car...
Old 10-03-2003, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ds475
he didn't race MY car, he raced other 944's... this was years before this car...
OK. Still doesn't account for the problems you are having if the PO was an experainced 944 mech.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

well, i said he was a mechanic, not a PORSCHE mechanic... but he did know what he was doing... although, not to mention the fact that his 17 year old daughter learned on/drove that car...
Old 10-03-2003, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ds475
...not to mention the fact that his 17 year old daughter learned on/drove that car...
I'm not going there...

I'm NOT going there!
Old 10-03-2003, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
it's amazing the thing still runs
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 10-03-2003, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: