Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

951 vs. M3, oh yeah.

WooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
I just got home from one wild ride
I hopped on the freeway to go home
and an M3 was doing about 80 just ahead of me
I decided to play too
so I did about 90 past him
he immediateley started to accelerate
and we were off
we got into the low 100's before we approached on traffic
we slowed and I went into the HOV lane
he didn't
he's doing 100+ mph but refuses to go into the carpool!
finally he gets around them and we start to speed up
the same thing happens again - low 100's and traffic
finally he carpools as well
were now on a 2 lane strip (totally open except 1 car)
I am still ahead of him and pass the one car
were doing about 90
he evens out with the one car
and that car stays even with the M3!
now it's a three way race between
a 951, an M3, and what looked like a Del sol!
we accelerated up to about 120 and the del whatever
SLOWLY gets passed up (still VERY impressive)
I allow the M3 to even up with me and we go for it
I would've shifted to 3rd but we were at about 110
we stay pretty well even but I am slowly pulling ahead
I reach 6000 rpm in 4th and shift to 5th
I would guess that we were doing about 130
I finally get a half car length ahead
and we start going into twisties
he braked way more than me
and you could tell he was more loose in the corners
using ALL of his lane
we then began to slow as traffic was ahead
(we prob hit about 140)
we even out and I look at him and give him
the middle finger (I'm kidding)
I give him the thumbs up and a HUGE grin!

I've been going through a lot of trouble with my car
but this makes up for it ten fold!

I have 303 rwhp and 315 lbs ft to the wheels
dyno proven (that was a hot day, this was a cold night).
So do you think the M3 was modified?
chips, exhaust?
Old 10-03-2003, 12:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Just keep the dirty side down.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-03-2003, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
emwporsche: street racing is illegal. It is also stupid, and it takes lives.
Posting of illegal activities is not allowed here.

Do NOT post any more moronic stories like you wrote above. More importantly, GROW UP and SLOW down before you kill someone. If you want to get a thrill from speed, then join PCA or POC, and get involved in their Driver's Ed and club racing program, where you can go as fast as you want on a racetrack.

Doing 100+ on public streets in traffic is completely uncalled for. Writing about it here is also uncalled for.

Also keep in mind that as a public forum, EVERYONE has access to the words you wrote, including your mommy and daddy, your insurance agency, and the local authorities.

Posting any more such antics will result in you being BANNED from here. No questions, no excuses. Consider this your first and FINAL warning.

-Zoltan, 944 Moderator.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 10-03-2003, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
True dat Z-man!!!

But how do you REALLY feel about street racing????

Jeff (944S Boyeee)
Old 10-03-2003, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
while I'm not about to pretend that I don't drive quickly from time to time, I have to say that doing 120+ on a public highway does seem a bit irresponsible. Things happen very quickly at that speed...
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 10-03-2003, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Z-man
emwporsche: street racing is illegal. It is also stupid, and it takes lives.
Posting of illegal activities is not allowed here.

Do NOT post any more moronic stories like you wrote above. More importantly, GROW UP and SLOW down before you kill someone.
Can't really be said any better than this. I would not be happy or proud, but downright embarrassed if street racing was what I felt was necessary to prove my manhood.

Tom
Old 10-03-2003, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm with Z-man :

Grow up before you kill someone.

Racing should be done on a racetrack. If you get caught at 140mph a jail sentence is a certainty I would think.

Mark

2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe, 280hp, Black
Old 10-03-2003, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Hey, everyone likes to go fast once in a while( thats why we drive Porsches), ive gotten a speeding ticket ,but that is really reclkess!
As a firefighter Ive seen my share of accidents due to that kind of stuff. and trust me there is nothing that creeps you out more than cutting a victim out of the same car that you drive ( ive done it!)
Slow it down dude, before you wipeout some poor family on thier way home from a nice day together!

Last edited by VINMAN; 10-03-2003 at 10:06 AM..
Old 10-03-2003, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I totally agree with previous statements made on this subject...
I, myself, have probably driven a little too fast in the past.
But then you must take things into prospective...

1. Is it really worth it?
- Is it? Do you gain anything in life by wasting some kid in their
buzzing Honda esk' vehicle? And if your argument is that
of 'respect'.. Ya.. 0o0oo I wish I could get respect from kid that
drives too fast.. Since it means so much. lol.

2. Cars aren't made to be driven that hard.
- Yes, I understand that cars like ours.. 944's, CAN reach those
speeds... But there is no reason to do so. And if you drive like
that often, you'll be paying for it later. If that means getting
pulled over, losing your car, and/or parts that get worn out
because of said driving.

3. Most importantly... The danger.
- Look, I know at a time in each of our lives, we all have the idea
(feeling) that nothing will happen. That we're some how immortal.
But you really must look at it in a different way. Rather, we are
immortal only for a limited time. (If it can be explained in those
words) And aside from you, yourself, not getting hurt; think how
you'll feel if you lose control and smash into another vehicle.
Knowing that you took someone's life. Why?... I'll let you
answer that one...

Well, That's all I got.
Stay safe all. (Drive Safe)
Bye.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

About the extent of any steet racing I ever get involved in is from zero to speed limit(5 over usually ). If you can't prove you've got them beat by the speed limit, it isn't worth it, as you are endangering other people and your own pride and joy.

Take it to the track if you feel the need to travel at 2-5 times higher than the speed limit.
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 10-03-2003, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Re: 951 vs. M3, oh yeah.

Quote:
Originally posted by emwporsche
WooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!..... ....
I just got home from one wild ride
chips, exhaust?
I almost got clipped by two foolish SOB's just like you yesterday, weaving through traffic doing an easy 100mph on the way home from work. I can assure you, son - we're NOT impressed.

At the very least, you're giving our sacred 944 a VERY BAD name. At the most, you could have seriously injured - or killed - yourself and/or someone else. Please don't make the mistake I did when I was younger, thinking I was Ayrton Senna (my hero at the time) on the street. The implications are more than you can imagine.

Sometimes I feel that the only drawback to the 944/951 is its availibility to the lowest denominator.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Hmmm....
I'm not gonna point a finger at anyone here, but I've had my share of both sides of this coin being tossed around here.
But to add something to the "post" well, an M3 would make your 951 look stupid, unless you have alot of driving experience. I've driven an m3 and a 951, and there is no comparison there, so, get off of your horse and calm the hell down before you kill someone.

Z is correct, and thanks for remindingme of something....., I was driving home from work one night ("very late and no one was on the road except for me, or so I thought) and was cruising home on the Pa turnpike at 120 + mph and was passed like I was standing still by an M3. 10 minutes later, he was upside down on the side of the road and the car was broken into about 15 pieces. I drove by slowly and noticed 3 white sheets covering three different objects, and alot of other small linnens covering other "things" on the road. I was waved through a maze of what looked like body parts still bleeding but covered by white linnens and clear plastic polyethelene sheeting... on my way out of the maze I actually drove over a shoe because I saw it just before I ran it over.. I haven't driven over the speed limit since.
So, if you ever want to street race, well, maybe you shouldn't.

Frank B
Old 10-04-2003, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Parrothead member

In response to Frank B's post, I know that scene all to well , Dealt with way too many fatalities, Since i became a firefighter and first responder, my driving habits have changed drastically. i refused to wear a seatbelt until I saw my first accident victim up close. That woke me right up.
Hey i still like to drive my 944 like it was designed for , but I know the thin line between fun and stupidity.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

From the Physics point of view :

Kinetic Energy = 1/2 M x (V squared)

M=mass of the car
V=velocity

So KE of the car rises with the square of V (and proportional to the mass of your car)

So at 140mph the energy of the car (and the destructiveness of any impact) is 4x the energy at 70mph. It'll take 4 times as far to stop, your brakes work 4 times as hard, and you'll hit something 4 times as hard. Also the KE of the occupants which relates to how hard you fly forward when you hit something is 4 times greater.

These speeds are only suitable on a track where : obstacles are removed, there are no unsuspecting people driving at 60mph, you've got run-off areas and tire walls to stop you, etc etc.

And even then its not that safe : remember Ayrton Senna, killed by going off the track on a bend, probably when his steering failed, in an F1 car with arguably the best occupant protection in the world.

Do you know what'll happen on a freeway at 140mph if you have a tire blowout? You'll die - no doubt about it - someone else probably will too.

The fun part of driving my Porsche was on a warm sunny day, windy country road, good visibility, pushing through the bends a little and red-lining it between bends. But always safety is the most important thing.

Mark

2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe, 280hp, Black
Old 10-06-2003, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
OK...first off....I understand your excitement...but that stuff is bad...you wanna know why? heres a story..and hopefully it will effect you as it has me...
Ok...I went on a car cruise Saturday night with a bunch of BMW guys from DTMpower.net. We started off goin down the PCH...and ended in Santiago canyon. I was 2nd through the canyon...and had no idea what happend behind me...
A brand new M3 with 3 people in it was racing another brand new M3 with the sMg tranny trying to catch up with the group(we were goin 10 over the limit, not bad) The first M3 was goin around a turn in excess of 100 (more like 140) and hit gravel...spinning them off the road and over an embankment...rolling the car several times and rupturing the gas tank. The car caught fire and the driver and passenger seat got out with minor injuries...ok driver was pretty messed up. Another M3 pulled up and jumped out to help...and herd the 3rd guy screaming trapped in the backseat...while the car was burning. They ran over to get him out but herd 3 loud pops and backed off. soon after the screaming had stopped and the young man in the back seat named James (don't know his last name) had BURNED to DEATH...right in front of them and right behind us. as others directed cars around an old lady yelled out her car window "thats what you fu**ers get for streetracing" The driver was taken to the hospital and another BMW driver(just there to help) was detained. The driver will be charged with the worst all the way up to murder. I was on this cruise and was right in front of the whole deal. I had talked to the people including James and they all were REALLY nice guys. It is SUCH AN UNNECESSARY death it makes me sick. Just because the guy thought he could beat him...it was a stupid adrenalin thing, and now someone is dead. Not even the driver...someone who was totally innocent but not brave enough to tell the driver to slow down a bit. He died trapped in the back seat of a coupe...how much does that suck. THIS WAS LAST WEEKEND!
The scariest thing...is I could have seen myself being the one trying to beat that M3...just for bragging rights...and i thought to myself how much that would destroy ones life...being responsible for burning your friend alive, and HAVING to live with it. I used to drive fast (WAY too fast) being that dumb kid in his turbo. If someone flew past me I would show them who's boss! Well now i have learned one of the most valuable lessons in my life....WHO CARES if that other car thinks they are faster than you? Really though....are you gunna get laughed at when you get to your destination for not spanking that civic full of punk kids with euro lights? Someone WILL get hurt..maybe not you...I don't care about hurting myself...but the idea of causing that other car to crash...or losing control and killing someone else...think of THAT. Be the man...back down and shake your head...EVOLVE from that childhood. After last Saturday my whole life has been different. First off I don't excessively speed...and if i see someone racing I purposly slow them down(if i can safely) and shake my head at them. I have been researching a cheap way of getting people on the track...and unfortunately there is none. Therefore I am joining the next drivers ed at the track and gunna convince all the people i can to join me. creating a legal and cheap dragracing track has helped alot of that type of crowd from being on the street...WHY can't they do the same for us handling cars? Sure autocrosses are nice...but they need to be more availible...I am sorry for sharing this....but I have shed tears over this EXACT point...and here you are braggin..so grow up man...grow up.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
And don't pay attention to my signiture...I just haven't changed it yet..I hate it now
Old 10-08-2003, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

It's interesting how the responses to the initial posting allow you to guage, pretty accurately, the ages of the posters.

Reading the post at age 39 I can feel my head involutarily shaking from side to side at the horrendous consequences that could have unfolded had everything gone tits up.

I scan across the postings and I find myself torn between agreeing with everything said but still irritated that it comes across as holier than thou moralizing. I guess it's because I know that those throwing the stones have done similar things themselves but have forgotten their own behaviour either through convenience or through the passage of time.

For myself I once wheelied my Kawasaki away from the lights from one end of the high street to the other - almost quarter of a mile. My mates thought I was pretty cool and so did I at the time. I was nineteen and I thought I was the dogs bollocks. That's because it didn't end in tragedy and it's now a middle-aged man's pub story when I meet up with old acquaintaces. It could all have ended very differently if I'd hit someone or if the cops had seen me.

I'm not going to bother telling you not to street race because you're obviously young and young men do like to compete and I'm sure this won't be the last time you find yourself in this situation. I will say this though: I had a cyclist ride off the pavement in front of me a few years back, it was dark and she had no lights. Luckily I was just pulling away from some lights and I only hit her at about five miles an hour. Her scream of pure fear and pain cut right through the music on my stereo and straight through to my spine. Cops came, as did an ambulance, and the whole bloody scene was played out by the side of the road under dancing blue lights. I'm here to tell you that even if, as I was, you're 100% blame-free you will assume a world or s**t from your own conscience if anyone gets hurt other than yourself. Words can't even begin to describe the guilt you'll experience - it is probably the s*i*tiest feeling you'll ever know.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."

Last edited by Dark Skies; 10-09-2003 at 08:41 AM..
Old 10-09-2003, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jriley
Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Skies
For myself I once wheelied my Kawasaki away from the lights from one end of the high street to the other - almost quarter of a mile. My mates thought I was pretty cool and so did I at the time. I was nineteen and I thought I was the dogs bollocks.
The dog's what, now?

Kawasaki triple?

Last edited by jriley; 10-09-2003 at 09:34 AM..
Old 10-09-2003, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Dark Skies:
I have tried all forms of rebuttal to street racing stories: everything from politeness to harsh 'holier than thou moralizing,' as you call it. Truthfully, I am sick of the lame excuses and the "all proper measures were taken" explanations from street racers. Hence my "shut up and sit down" attitude.

One thing I have offered, and continue to offer: if a street racer would like to try either an autox or a night at the local (legal) drag strip, I would pay that person's entry fee, (~ $25-30) provided said person gives proof of attending such an event. I have offered this on multiple web-boards many times in the course of at least two years. To date, I have had no one take me up on that offer. All I hear is again is excuses: my car's not competitive enough, I don't have the proper safety gear, my tires are shot...etc. Lame excuses.

So, I figure you're not going to change the street racer, but if street racing is frowned upon by enough people, and those idiots that engage in such activites are made a mockery of, perhaps there will be less posting of that activity. If that can help convince at least one individual to not street race, then it is worth it.

Sorry for being long-winded.
-Zoltan.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 10-09-2003, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Do an internet search and look at what a dead burn victim looks like.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: