Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vesnyder Send a message via Yahoo to vesnyder
'83 944 Purchase Advice

Looking at an '83 944 with only 54k miles on it for $5k. Have read the other threads, but most refer to later 80's models. He's had the timing chain done, but no other maintanance records.

What advice do you have? What is it's value? What concerns/areas of trouble should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-03-2003, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Do you mean timing belt? Or did the owner say chain?

Still $5,000 is about $2,000 too much.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-03-2003, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Do you mean timing belt? Or did the owner say chain?

Still $5,000 is about $2,000 too much.

KBB doesn't hold the car in too high of regards, rating it in Excellent condition by my zipcode puts the value at $3225. In one more year, you'll have to find it in the KBB classic car pricing.

NADA however, which most banks/dealers, seems to treat the value a little differently. Low Retail $4500, Average $5700, High $6800. You have to go through the classic tab at nada.com since 1983 is an option.

I guess it depends on what you think the car is worth. I paid $4000 for mine, and didn't lose any sleep over that deal.
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 10-03-2003, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Having just got my 83 in the same area, with almost identical miles, I would say $5K is just a little. If you are willing to shop further way, you can do much better, but if you stay in NE Ohio, $4-$5K is about going rate for a good condition low miles 944. I paid $4500.00 and have no complaints. PO was as honest as he could be, but just didnt really know much about these cars.

As for things to look for, Ill give my list of needed fixes when I get home from work!

Give me a D Give me a Y Give me a S L E X I A!!
What do you get? Dilex.. Dislax.. Dylsia AHH F**K IT!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2003, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to daveimme
I paid $3500 for my 83, but it has a salvage title, and had 54k miles. Now it has 77k miles, and the head had to be replaced due to electrolysis pitting at the head.....

I would try to go down on the price like everyone else says....

They are:

Fun to drive
Eye catching (my 'cream' colored one is anyways.....everyone in my town of 4500 KNOWS when I'm around!
Fun to drive
Handles great
Quite reliable if maintained
and lastly....

Fun to drive
83 Suzuki LT 125 (4 wheeler) (wife)
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
2000 Kawasaki KX 65 (son)
2003 Honda XR 50 (Son and daughter)
Old 10-03-2003, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
in the south east we have the BLACK book. i learned this we i usued to sell cars. only dealers have access to this book, or are supposed to. when a customer used to come in stating the NADA or blue book values we had to explain to them these are not the books used down here thats why we were offering them about $2k less than the bottom value of nada or kbb. most ppl dont believe it until they inquire about it at various dealers. so down her find the low value from one of those books and subtract 2 gs and thats what a dealer will give you for it... if its in extremely great condition it will be evaluated as 'rough'...

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'd inquire about the miles. Many cars have had undocumented miles while the odometer was out. Carfax and service records may help you here. Still $5K seems high.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by scheistermeiste
in the south east we have the BLACK book. i learned this we i usued to sell cars. only dealers have access to this book, or are supposed to. when a customer used to come in stating the NADA or blue book values we had to explain to them these are not the books used down here thats why we were offering them about $2k less than the bottom value of nada or kbb. most ppl dont believe it until they inquire about it at various dealers. so down her find the low value from one of those books and subtract 2 gs and thats what a dealer will give you for it... if its in extremely great condition it will be evaluated as 'rough'...
Even NADA and KBB have their dealer and bank only versions, that we as consumers don't get to see. And it's probably about like your black book you mentioned, it gives trade-in allowances of about $2k less, so that the dealer can mark them back up to bluebook value to make money, or even sell them for $1k under blue book, and still make an easy $1k.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Okay, home now.

Let see. Yes $5k is too much, but the seller will probably get it here. The price of a car is judged in many ways. NADA, KBB, the before mentioned dealer black book, however to me what matters is if YOU are happy with the price. Unless the price for the car is a complete rip off. Also remember that price will depend on where in the country it is being sold, because of simple supply and demand.

As for mileage, you do need to be careful. 944s seem to have problem with odometers. If you are really interested in the car, pay the $20.00 at carfax for title check! If you have experience with cars, you know the signs to look for.

Also I feel I should add that if you are not interested in working on a car, you may want to look elsewhere. You are going to have to fix things. Its twenty years old.

Okay now for what I have found wrong, going to fix, have fixed/done, and going to check this winter.

Replaced so far.

Timing belt, balance shaft belt. Both were okay, but no records.

Master, and slave cylinder for clutch. Both were bad.

New shift lever, and bushing. Not a waste of time or money!

Rebuild firewall at Master clutch cylinder. PO did quick fix, and required welding in new metal. Did not find at purchase.

Needs fixed.
Shorted out headlight switch, and bad wire from switch all the way to headlight motor. (Thats gonna be fun!) . Unknown at purchase.

E-brake lever not even attached. I figure on having to fix it all the way back to the little pads. Known at purchase.

Power window switch on passenger side. Sense the window works from the driver side, my guess is contacts need cleaning.

Rip out POS stereo that was poorly installed, and replace with Clarion CD player from a friends car. Also fix pathetic wiring job!

New sunroof seals. Known at purchase

Find and fix what ever it is that makes the horn not work. Known at purchase.

Complete tune-up

Replace missing/broken interior parts. Known, and just sent check to fellow board member for parts. Cost was less then $100.00 with shipping.

Repaint lug nuts. PO used regular wrench on them.

Going to check.
Pull trany, I think the 1st-2nd gear synchro might be bad.

Thorough inspection on the clutch.

Breaks; tear down, bled, and inspect.

Go over entire fuel system.

Also considering replacing all the bushings, but still undecided.

Dont mean to scare you away from getting a 944. I will also say that with all the things wrong with my car, it is flat out the most enjoyable car I have ever driven! I love nothing more than having someone tailgate me in the strait lines, and get to the corners, and suddenly they are nowhere to be seen! Happens every day, and I dont even have to break the law to do it! (Well, not much anyway!)

Old 10-03-2003, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

As to everything Some1else said /\

Keep in mind, you are looking at a 20 year old car, so even if alot of the standard services were kept up, there's still a good possibility that there will be things that need, should or could be replaced.

My car was purchased with 92k on the odometer, Car-fax and Consumer Reports check verified.

So far I've replaced:

Wheel bearings, all 4. The fronts weren't necessary, and were well packed, but it's insurance. The rear's did show signs of rust traces in the grease.

Rear shocks.

Tierod ends, balljoints, front end bushings. < --- More insurance on a 20 year old car.

Timing and balance shaft belts. < --- Necessary, unless PO has a receipt on them and they are within the mileage and age tolerances of the belt, also make sure they've been re-tensioned properly.

Next on my agenda:

Struts.
Rear end bushings.
Half-shafts < --- Or a good cleaning/re-packing.

And maybe tackle the infamous oil pan gasket....

And that's all while still doing standard maintenance.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
I bought my 83 for 6500, which my sound like a lot at first. But the dealer had put in a new sachs clutch, updated the AC, new fuel rail, new HD bilstein suspension and had the car freshly repainted ....not to mention the interior was immaculate, not a scuff mark in the original sport seats.
Carfax and other sources agreed with the 60k odometer on this 1 owner garge queen.
So, I personally thought it was a deal, not to mention the 5k I got for the 92 accord I traded in...

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 10-03-2003, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

KBB is total crap.
$5K is a little steep
clutch clutch clutch!!! if its original dont pay more than 3K
Old 10-03-2003, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Here's a question you don't hear often, I'll bet: how's the heat in these? Winters in my 911 suck because of the poor heating, and I was wondering if the 944 (with its radiator) is better in that regard.

Emanuel
Old 10-04-2003, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by epbrown
Here's a question you don't hear often, I'll bet: how's the heat in these? ...
Emanuel
Heat in mine is very good. Only real problem is that if you set the vent to floor, it tends to roast your right foot!

Old 10-04-2003, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: