Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
Just finished koni conversion

Took some elbow grease, but I can't wait to get them in. Now I'm preparing the control arms with Weltmiester bushings, new tie rods,and a Turbo anti sway bar. Then bolting in the Turbo spindles, drilled rotors and turbo calipers. Whew, then finally it's on to the Rear.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 10-03-2003, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Was this done using the kit that allows you to saw the end of the original strut off and then bolt the damper into the older casing?

If so I can't wait to hear some feedback on the handeling!
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-03-2003, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Gotta love that yellow!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-03-2003, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Yep, the Koni 1414S inserts. Got them locally from R&D (I think shox.com), the snubbers and dust covers at Paragon, and the Weltmiester 250 lb springs off Ebay as well as the original '87 944S/Turbo strut housings. It was a pita getting the top nut off without a zip gun, but cutting went quicker with a metal cutting blade on my power miter saw. I took my time filing the edges, cleaning and sanding, then used a white rust inhibitor primer to cover the orig black, and finally the School Bus Yellow Plasticote Enamel. Don't know if it's bad form, but the directions in Paragon's tech section were key, and much better than the Ikea-like picture drawing that came with the Konis. It may be a while before I can test them as I will have the body started on and pull the motor as soon as I finish up the suspension and wheels.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 10-03-2003, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
that's a pretty nice setup... I have KONI yellows on my car, as well as a rear sway bar (I don't know the size; I am pretty sure it is all factory, so I'm guessing it's the "sport suspension" shock/swaybar setup). I also own a pair of 200lb springs, but haven't installed them yet.

Let us know how much difference this makes!
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 10-03-2003, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

you lucky duck you. definately post the results
nice signature by the way
Old 10-03-2003, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Lou...On a 87 924S you shouldn't need to cut off the top of the strut housing. They are resealable. Did they not have a screw on cap? Sman
Old 10-04-2003, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Correct. The pic shows the original 924S struts, haven't touched them. I think they sell inserts for those, but the 1414S Konis have a larger diameter and require the later housings that are sealed. Since I'm upgrading the front end with a slew of Turbo parts, I used turbo strut casings as well.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 10-04-2003, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: