Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
Talking 944 turbo for $15000?!!! LOL!

ok well tonight i went to this car show that is every friday here in ft lauderdale to show off my girlfriends car (1960 Buick Invicta) and saw a 944 pull in i walked over to it and saw that it was a turbo and it had a for sale sign on it... with a price of $15000. i found the owner who was 23 and started asking him simple questions to see how much he acctually knew about the car. 1st question when was the timing belt done? about 3k ago. ok pass... hehe. i continue to talk to him a little bit and find out he had just bought the car a few months ago and didnt really know much about it. i asked him about how much boost he was running and he said "about 19psi and its tuned donwn right now, making about 400hp." all i said was "uh huh... is there a front mount intercooler? (looking through bumper not seeing one)" and he said "yeah somewhere in there" i searched the whole bay and there wasnt. so i asked him what woork has been done to it. he said "new cams, i dont know what kind but i know they are the best you can get. competition blow off valve and competition air intake and a lot of other stuff." i look around and see a cone filter... about this time i was thinking "ok.. he has no clue what he bought but must have found out he prolly paid too much for it and is tring to get out of it." so i ask him about the suspension and he has no clue, didnt even know what kind of shocks or size of the sway bars. then i asked him if he knew what options were originally installed on it and he said no so i politely showed him in his trunk where the option sticker was and told him what kind of car i had. he then made a nig deal about how much better my car was and how much faster it was..... at this time i laughed to myself and said "ok i just wanted to see what you had, have a nice day!" and walked away.

i just thought it was funny story about a person who really doesnt know what they have and thought id share.

ps body and paint werent in that great of shape and it needed a new interior...

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ds475
the just liked the car, he didn't really care about learning it... you don't have to tear him apart... haha still funny, althought i hardly know anything so i can't really say much...
Old 10-04-2003, 01:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
well $15K wouldn't be unheard of for a top-flight 951; at a Porsche swapmeet last week I ran into an absolutely perfect, 50K mile guards red 951 for sale for $17K... and it looked the price.

but you're right; the guy probably saw "Porsche" and figured he could get top dollar for it.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 10-04-2003, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

He probably paid 20k for it.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

there is an intercooler under the nose piece. if you can't find one, it's not a turbo. as CJ said, some of the later '51s are still fetching a good price. it's not unusual to see turbo S-es going for upwards of 20K if they're in top shape
Old 10-08-2003, 12:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to perfecto951
it's still pretty hard to see the IC. you have to know what you are looking for but it's in there..."somewhere"

it probably was a 951, and he probably was a dumbass. whats with newbie 944 owners gloating about their cars to 924 owners? that pisses me off - we should be brothers in the world of watercooled porsches!
Old 10-08-2003, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to daveimme
Hey, that wasn't me you ran into, huh? You don't think I can get 15k for it??

JK....but I can plead ignorance, too, so can you tell me where this 'option' sticker is located? I'd like to see what mine was new, and just to know where it is, too, really....

You see these type of guys allll the time. Know it all kids and such. Well, at my age, I sure ain't embarrassed to say 'I don't know', unless you ask my age, of course.
83 Suzuki LT 125 (4 wheeler) (wife)
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
2000 Kawasaki KX 65 (son)
2003 Honda XR 50 (Son and daughter)
Old 10-08-2003, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
i just thought it was sort of annoying that he thought he was a bada$$ because he had this car that had all this work done to it even though he didnt even know what this work was.

and if you are serious about the option sticker its under the carpet in the hatch area near the tail lights.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to daveimme
I'll look.......thanks and yeah, I'm serious....

Thanks
83 Suzuki LT 125 (4 wheeler) (wife)
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
2000 Kawasaki KX 65 (son)
2003 Honda XR 50 (Son and daughter)
Old 10-08-2003, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: