Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Motor Mounts / Sway Bar Bushings

I need to replace both my engine mounts and sway bar bushing but need to know about how long it will take and if I need any special tools? Can any one give me some advice on this issue. I am gonna be doing this on my 944 turbo 1986.
Old 10-04-2003, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You will need a way to support the engine from above to remove the engine mounts. Once the engine is supported, remove the cross bar to access the mounts.

Sway bar bushings are not difficult - use a little silicone spray or soapy water to help the bushings slide into the mounts.

No special tools required for either - figure an afternoon to do the job

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 10-04-2003, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
You need a 3/8 angle head ratchet for the motor mount bolts, and you can jack the engine from ther underside with a floor jack and a soft wooden block.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-04-2003, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Sure do appreciate the help I have done all this work on my old truck but this porsche I just ggot and It is a whole other world to work on I got to tell you sometimes I fell like I couldn't even change the oil. What is the best our easiest way to see what size bushing I need I have seen three our four diffrent sizes in the stores?
Old 10-04-2003, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Measure the sway bar diameter in millimeters) - they came in 2 or 3 sizes depending on year\type. The outers should be the same size regardless of diameter, the inners are the ones that are different

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 10-04-2003, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You won't be able to find sway bar bushings in "stores." You need to get them from either your local dealer, or through an on-line vendor like Pelican Parts, Performance Products, Zimm's, ect.

As for motor mounts, there is some heated debate as to the virtues of using original Porsche parts versus aftermarket parts, with the general concnesus being the after market parts are sub-standard.

I have not gone through a motor mount job yet, but from what I gather, the after market mounts are not as durable as the Porsche mounts, and the after market mounts require using shorter bolts than the original Porsche mounts. There are some significant threads about this topic over on RennList (http://www.rennlist.com).
Old 10-05-2003, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
wsburgos,

Both OEM and after market mounts use a bolt rather than the somewhat clumsy through bolt and nut the originals used. You can not use the bolt that comes out of the original bolt and nut application as it is too long.

The trick to know if you need engine mounts is to stick your hand between the top of the cross member and the bottom of the oil pan. If you can get most of your hand in there, up to the knuckles, then the mounts are good. If you can only get your finger tips in then it is engine mount time.

Did your car some with any maintenance history? Any old repair bills?

I ask because the timing and balance shaft belts are of prime concern on these cars.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-05-2003, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
YEAH I AM GONNA REPLACE THE TIMING BELTS AND THE BALANCE SHAFT BELTS SOON THEY ARE NOT CRACKED SO I AM GONNA WAIT A LITTLE LONGER. BUT MY MOTOR MOUNTS ARE SHOT AND SO ARE MY BUSHINGS ALSO MY STEERING RACK IS LEAKING A LITTLE BIT OF FLUID SO I AM GONNA TRY TO REPLACE THAT MYSELF ALSO.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

wsburgos,

steering rack leak will eat passenger side sway bar drop link bushing.

anyone know a good source for these bushings? my end bushings are ok

my belts looked fine at 45K but I feel SO much better after changing them.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yup, just did the job on the inner sway bar bushings....$10 for both at pelican parts... you need a 13mm socket and wrench..shouldn't be on that tight. If deterioration is bad, its been fluid fouled...check surrounding area for other problems and find the leak..

Very easy job about 30min to 1 hour BUT ... you really have to muscle the bushings on! (screaming and grunting required)..BTW I found it simplier to not remove the bottom pan/cover while doing this job.

I'd give this job a 1 beer rating.

wsburgos---- STOP YELLING..Hurts my eyes.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I thought there were a total of eight bushings am I mistaken?
Old 10-09-2003, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

My na front swaybar has two inner and two outer. the outer were in great shape but the inner were shot.
check pelican for the part and they have a good diagram of the swaybar under the photo.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Maybe you're thinking about front control arm AND sway bar bushings.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

If your thinking about removing the control arm and changing the bushings you will be bumping up that time/beer factor considerably.

I looked at the P manual for the control arm bushing deal and decided to wait until they REALLY need it.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
The car is in the shop right now getting new control arms they should be replacing those bushings also right.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Macfreak007
What is a time estimate on motor mounts, i need to do those also.. and i want to know what kinda time I'm looking at on that one.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
The motorr mounts I heard about 2 to 3 hours but I am sure it will take me longer.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

my control arm bushings are fair; I'm going to let them go for awhile.

only one sway bar bushing is bad; inner right under power steering leak.
I'm changing the rack in Spring

I don't have a belly pan so inspection is easy; after I restore under-carriage I'll get a pan

My passenger side motor mount is torn but clearance is ok and car is smooth.

I'll probably put the motor mount job on "someday" list

next weekend '44 goes in storage with TR8; I always take a 6 month winter break from the car hobby.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: