Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Let's go shooting.

How's this for lucky.

Last night I was out uncommonly late (well past the time I'm usually thinking about making a Horlicks and heading for the land of nod). I returned to find our street full of flashing blue lights with four coppers speaking to a lot of very upset peeps surveying their mangled cars.

Apparently a gang of drunken yobs had trashed every parked car they came across twixt pub and whatever stone they crawled from. Most cars had at least a smashed wing mirror or busted windows etc. The guy who parks in front of our house had the entire right hand side of his car beaten with an iron bar or something - I kid you not EVERY half inch of the car from back to front had a quarter inch dent in it.

Words can't express how glad I was that my 944 was safely tootling along the M4 at the time. To think I b*tched about having to see a stoopid play that my wife wanted to see. Sometimes life tosses you a break that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."

Last edited by Dark Skies; 10-05-2003 at 09:14 AM..
Old 10-05-2003, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I hope they catch the bastards and publicly hang them by their balls.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

You gotta be kidding. In the UK our cops are unwilling to come out to such piffling matters - they say they're under-resourced (although you can always find at least twenty cops setting up speed traps at bike shows and the like). I had some wanker try and pry up my front Porsche badge a few years back - made a right mess of my badge panel with a screwdriver until it dawned on him that it was held on with a nut underneath. The twat left a brilliant set of latent prints in the dust. Me, being an ex fingerprint officer (many many years ago) preserved the prints with some plastic film taped over them. I begged and wheedled for them to come out and lift the prints to run against known offenders. All I got was a number to give to my insurers. My excess came to the same price as the repairs cost so the insurers wouldn't pay up. The bastard got off scott free.

When I got knocked off my bike by a hit and run merchant in a Ford the cops dropped the case simply because the guy hadn't registered the car's ownership - they weren't even prepared to hold the event on file for more than a month.

Old 10-05-2003, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Time to bring back the rack. Shame they ever got rid of that. We of course have the same problem over here. Hey, if you blokes arn't going to use it, can we borrow your rack?

p.s. quit stealing our soil! ;-)

1991 944S2 Rally #951 Rally-America.com
Old 10-05-2003, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

How about the time in Manchester someone changed lanes without looking - he scraped down the whole side of my car wrecking all 4 panels. He left the scene without leaving any details. Despite me getting the number of the car before it drove off and a description of the driver, and going to the local police station and filling out report forms, I've still heard nothing (over a year later). My insurers managed to track him down and recover my excess but the police did **** all.

Thankfully I now live in the US where theres a rule of law.

The politicians don't seem to recognise that we want more police and are willing to pay for it, if that means a better quality of life for everyone - lets face it petty crime makes everyones life a misery in British cities.

Mark

2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe, 280hp, Black
Old 10-05-2003, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fty
Dark skies-sorry to hear those Brit cops are a bit lazy....Someone was looking out for your 944 that night thank your old lady for dragging you to the play

Mark - "The politicians don't seem to recognise that we want more police and are willing to pay for it, if that means a better quality of life for everyone" -totally agree
Old 10-06-2003, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
where were the car alarms?
Old 10-06-2003, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Most of the cars that were damaged were regular workaday cars - it's likely that they may not have them fitted - our area isn't known for flash cars although it's a reasonably nice quiet area. For myself I have to admit that I often only bother to switch mine on if I'm parking in town. Having said that even if they were switched on they would only alert people to the fact after the event.

It's starting to become something of a regular problem after the pubs close. One day I'd found someones muddy boot prints all over the roof of my kit car.

Britain seems to have fallen apart at the seams these past few years. Only the other day there was a drive by hit (using machine guns no less) in a suburb only fifty miles up the road from where I live. An hour later there was another shooting just twenty miles from me. I hardly recognize my own country anymore.

Old 10-06-2003, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
one year, i dropped out of school, drove a meat delivery truck for money. my last day on the job, before i hustled my ass back to school, was when the drive by shooters shot the old bums who sat on the bench in front of the meat companyall day drinking wine.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Skies
You gotta be kidding. In the UK our cops are unwilling to come out to such piffling matters.....
but should you decide to beat the snot out of one or two of those hoodlums I'd bet the bobbies would show up post-haste to throw you in the brig!

Tsnap: wow, if that hadn't convinced you to go back nothing would have
Old 10-08-2003, 12:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
at least i lost 50 lbs that summer, gained from the bad habits of college, pizza and beer and parties, every nite(almost) , can you say TOGA!!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Jeeze! In politically correct Britain you can't go around seeking justice. Where the hell do you think you are man - back in the 20th Century?

The proper format is to contact the police who will, in turn contact the Criminal Prosecution Service who will investigate the matter fully in order to properly establish how best to award huge compensation to the criminal for having violated his civil liberties by suggesting that they might be arrested - that's after giving them forty-odd previous 'second chances'.

Old 10-08-2003, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

vott does ziss do?

that's it, I'm changing my line of work and moving to England. I'm off the straight and narrow for good. so, what does petty crime pay? are there benefits? vacations? health plans?

Old 10-08-2003, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
obviously, their schoolteacher never threw them out the window when they needed it.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

"that's it, I'm changing my line of work and moving to England. I'm off the straight and narrow for good. so, what does petty crime pay? are there benefits? vacations? health plans?"

Hold it right there m'laddio - we don't just let any old person into this country - ya can't just marry a Brit and waltz on in here ya know - we have certain standards to maintain.

The sort of people we prefer are murderers, rapists or people suffering from HIV and the like. Our very favourites are terrorists on the run who actively hate Britain but flee here because we refuse to hand criminals over to their own authorities if their own country adminsters capital punishment.

What you need to do is croak someone in a State with the death penalty then flee over here before the cops can feel your collar. Do that and you're guaranteed a place here - don't worry we won't throw you in jail - that's reserved for people that don't pay their TV licences or who refuse to pay their speeding tickets. We'll throw in free access to medical attention (national health system) give you a work permit - don't worry you don't have to get a job our benefits systems will carry you. We'll most likely throw in a house too. Any complaints and you can sue us for breaching your human rights.

If you don't much fancy killing someone you could go to France and their cops will direct you to the nearest 'refugee' camp where you can stow away on a truck bound for England - don't forget to throw away your passport and try to look pathetic as if you've fled from somewhere - try not to speak - pretend you don't understand English and we'll do our best to make sure you live better than the average Brit courtesy of our welfare system.

Don't make the mistake of marrying a Brit and thinking you can stay though - Britain sneers at family values - it's not cool or trendy. But ... strike up a gay relationship and you'll be set - we wouldn't want to violate your human rights (unless you married a Brit) by separating you from your lover.

Last edited by Dark Skies; 10-08-2003 at 11:04 AM..
Old 10-08-2003, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

My comments weren't meant to be criticism of individual UK police officers themselves, rather of the legal structure they work within.

The number of police per head of population in the average UK inner-city area is about a quarter of that in an equivalent US city - so they can't do much other than prioritise according to their resources.

Individual cops I've spoken to are doing their best and would like to do a lot more - they don't like failing people any more than any other professionals.

Mark

2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe, 280hp, Black
Old 10-08-2003, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Struth - did I just go off topic? Must be the sherry talking.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Skies
The proper format is to contact the police who will, in turn contact the Criminal Prosecution Service who will investigate the matter fully in order to properly establish how best to award huge compensation to the criminal for having violated his civil liberties by suggesting that they might be arrested - that's after giving them forty-odd previous 'second chances'.
are you sure you don't live in america?

Old 10-08-2003, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: