Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
Question looking for some info...

LONG! to keep it on topic of the 924/44... i was comparing and sowing off my 924S to a friend with a NA 86 300zx and we were wondering which was lighter... pretty sure mine?

i was also wondering: i saw a few post that someone here has worked on 300zx es and was wondering if you or anyone else could solve a problem my friend ran into. on a way to a car show my friend was sitting at a light when all of a sudden it started sputtering and stalled out. we pushed it into a nearby gas station and started tring to find the problem. first when we checked to see if there was a spark from the coil. when the engine is being cranked ther is a spark from the coil but you have to crank it for a while. we replaced the coil and tried again still nothing although the spark was stronger. so next i took a multi meter to the coil wire to tet the resistance. it was at 10ohms, isnt that way to him??? we also checked the cap and rotor. the cap had a LOT of corrosion at the connection from the coild and to only 1 of the spark plug wires. we cleaned the cap and rotor and replaced all the wires. still nothing. next we took the cap off and tried cranking the engine to see if the rotor would spin. it didnt, we then took the distributor off to see if the gear on the end broke or something like that. the gear on the distributor was fine and so was the gear that turns it. no sign of metal flakes or anything like that. the thing we didnt think of at first was the timing belt because the PO had a receipt for that and the water pump being done 3k ago. we then pried the cover back and looked at the belt. it was cracked and looked like it needed to be replaced. we then wanted to know if it was moving when we cranked the engine. while cranking it did not. is this a broken belt problem? thats what we are thinking as of now. there were no horrible metal on metal noises or anything like that when the car died or while we were tring to crank it. sorry for the long and somewhat off topic post. any suggestions?

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
My frind has a 300z twin turbo, and I believe it to be a touring car. I think it weighs around 3300lbs.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 10-05-2003, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I hope for your sake it's not a broken belt, thats a Nissan V6 3000 under ther hood, same engine used in the Maximas, and thats an interference motor.

Replaced an engine on a Z last summer and it was due to a broken t-belt. It was chaper to get a used block then it was try and pull the heads and replace the valves.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-05-2003, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

the 300z's are hogs. it definately weighs more than a 944
Old 10-05-2003, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
ewww are you serious? about that being an interference motor??? what other cars have engines like that? and that is the motor under the hood.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
It's not quite as common to bend valves on the 3000 series, but it does happen. Usually the belt slips and the engine runs like crap, so the owner over rev's or some such and wastes the valves.

But yes you have a 50/50 chance of bending valves. If so no sweat, just pop the motor and drop a new/used one in. I finished a Z in one weekend, they are easy to pull. You can usually find new VG 3000 motors on Ebay for pretty cheap. I ought to go into buisiness swapping 3000 motors, seems like every rice kid with a few bucks aroud here is buying up the older Nissan Maxima SE's and the older Z's now. Problem is most of these things have 180k on em.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-05-2003, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: