Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Electrical questions

Sorry it's kinda long

I tore my instrument cluster apart and saw everyone's favorite "Black tape"(I'm assuming the masterminds at porsche didn't use black tape butI could be wrong). I was trying to find out why my odometer was only working 30% of the time . Anyway I didn't see anything broken or out of place so I put that back together.

Now on to my question I have a little circut board attached to the back of the speedometer and it is "Black Taped" to the tachometer is this the way it is supposed to be and what does it do. I only have info for late 944 instument cluster

And my second question I am loosing oil pressure when I use electric. For instance I'm at an idle and my pressure is 2.5 bar I turn on my lights my oil pressure is 2 bar. If I turn on my A/C I loose 1 bar of pressure. The instant I turn off those it goes right back to 2.5 bar. I can turn the dash lights on I go to 2 bar flick them off I go back to 2.5. Any ideas??? I don't think I am loosing oil pressure just the guage is reading so.

On a personal note SoCal(Hugh) Sorry I didn't call this weekend can I call you tomorrow night when you have bunches and bunches of minutes? Other than those problems above my baby is running like a dream thanks your info has been a blessing and I have started ripping into my car.

Why R all the wires so small did the germans think it would save a few pounds???? LOL

Thanks

Last edited by Techmonkey; 10-05-2003 at 06:02 PM..
Old 10-05-2003, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

This is mine. I currently have mine apart as well.

I only see black tape on the outside.

Old 10-05-2003, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Your gauges screwy behavior is electrical related. When you replaced the engine did you replace the negative and positive battery cables? If not, that is a problem for sure for an '83.

You probably should also run a supplemental positive over to your main distribution.

Porsche used such crappy wiring because it was cheap and would sort of work for the first few years after rolling out of the factory. On a 20 year old car, forget everything that goes through the engine bay.

I sell an upgraded battery cable package as well as a headlight harness. You can ask SoCal about them when you talk to him because he has read about them over on Rennlist.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah thats the circutboard I'm talking about and I have Wires Black taped together. For instance the wires going form that are black taped to another set then blacktaped to the tach plug. and thats just one example.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Tech, I have made up a negative which has the later style ground system. One short cable to the sheet metal (like you have in your '83) and then another cable that runs from the battery directly to the bellhousing/engine block. The cable is heavier than Porsche and the terminals are tinned, crimped, soldered and sealed. Includes a military/marine battery clamp. The cable should last longer than you will. That is $44. If you are short on cash try that first.

Then I have the positive from battery to starter and a fused positive from starter to alternator. Same oversized cables and terminals and it is covered with fireproof fiberglass sleeve. Will take about 1100* F. The 175 amp fuse is to prevent an engine bay fire should the starter to alternator run or the alternator itself short out. The two are $100.

The supplemental positive has a 150 amp fuse off the battery that you connect the operating positives to as well as a #4 gauge supplemental to your main distribution. Same construction as battery to starter to alternator, including the fireproof sleeve. The 150 amp fuse will protect from fire should you get a short in the 6+ feet of lines off the battery before they get to OE fuse protection. Handy if you get in a crash, pinch your positives to short, and are stuck/knocked out in the car. That is $54.

I also have a supplemental ground from the front of the motor to the forward frame rail. This really does wonders for only 20 bucks.

The other thing you might want to consider is an adjustable voltage regulator so you can boost alternator voltage up over the stock 14.0v to say, 14.4v (you can adjust as high as 14.9). This will bring your battery up to full charge much quicker and remove that charging load off your electrical system. That is $16.50.

There are over 100 of these battery cables out in North America so should be easy to get some reviews on whether they are worth it and do their job. Most have gone to people on Rennlist. Just go over to Rennlist and ask the question.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

IceShark I have read may testimonials about your product and I feel very confident in your product.
I am thinking of buying option 1,2,4, and possiblly 5 but not sure. Later on perhaps I will get the crash safty(when I get your light setup).
Thanks
Cody
Old 10-05-2003, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
The IceShark wire sets will last longer than your car! There are home work arounds but the IceShark wire sets are less expensive in the long run.

Grounds! It's always the grounds!

Well, add the positive feeds to that.

The circuit board is the sensor pick off for the miles per gallon gauge in the tach. Does it work?

No need to call. Just PM me.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-05-2003, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Techmonkey, Yeah I forgot you were really Cody in actual life. LOL! I have a hard enough time keeping track of all the real names I am or have dealt with and the cross reference to screen names is a mess since that is only off memory. Guess I should make a file, except it would have about 400 real names to tie to nom de plumes!

You will get #4 & #5 in your Full Boat Headlight package. You can get them early if you want, and I will just reduce the price you owe on the headlight package.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: