Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oxy sensor

Ok. I fixed the horn and all that. I dont think there is an electrical problem at all. All of the cylinders are firing too which is good, it just needs a simple tune up like that guy said. Im going to have that done.

The only problem now is that the car seems to be spitting out a lot of exhaust. There is a lot of extra smoke blowing out of the exhaust, and i was wondering if it might be the oxygen sensor. How do i check to see if it is the oxygen sensor? Also the exhaust spits out water... i dont know if this is good or bad, but it spits out water and it hasn't rained in a while...
Old 10-06-2003, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

This smoke coming from the exhaust, is it white, blue or black? The water coming out, is this just for a few minutes after cold startup or continual?
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 10-06-2003, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You can check the sensor with a Digital Multi-Meter. Set the meter to read the 2 volt DC scale. Connect the negative (black) lead to a good ground. The O2 sensor connector has three wires, two white and one black. Insert the tip of the red meter lead into the back of the O2 sensor connector where the black lead enters the connector. Start the engine and let it come up to normal operating temperature.

If the sensor is working you should see the meter display a voltage that varies or dithers across 0.5 volts. If the voltage does not vary, try raising the engine RPM. If the voltage does not dither than chances are the sensor is bad.

Some water coming from the exhaust is normal. Water and CO2 are by-products of the chemical reaction that takes place in the CAT. When you shut the engine off, some water will condense in the CAT and the exhaust pipe and muffler. This is the main reason that modern exhaust systems are made from stainless steel.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
"Needs a tune up" Yeah! Sure!

No such thing with a 944. There is nothing other than replacing the spark plugs that comes close to a tune up.

Can't adjust the valves.

Can't adust the timing.

So ask him exactly what he will do to your 944 during a tune up?

NOTE: YOU can replace the filters and spark plugs and dist cap and rotor and most any other "tune-up" item.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-07-2003, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to daveimme
Hey Hugh...do u have a 5 sp or an auto tranny?

Just wondering since your sig line is a little vague.
83 Suzuki LT 125 (4 wheeler) (wife)
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
2000 Kawasaki KX 65 (son)
2003 Honda XR 50 (Son and daughter)
Old 10-07-2003, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by daveimme
Hey Hugh...do u have a 5 sp or an auto tranny?

Just wondering since your sig line is a little vague.

It's an automatic 5 speed. After 20 years of driving the car I automatically shift it.

As to sig lines:

Most everyone has an NA unless you use 951 or 968.

Most everyone has a 5 speed.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-07-2003, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rock.....Sounds like you got some troubles...

Alot of smoke and water could be head gasket..Don't panic though, if you really set your mind to it it isn't a difficult job.

My bet is "no way o2 sensor"..if it is that f'd up the dme just over rides it correct?
Old 10-07-2003, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Spits out water? If this happens at start up and goes away after 5 miniutes then it might just be condensation in the exhaust. Condesation is nothing to worry about, but from your description its hard to tell.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: