Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

brass/copper radiator.

Hi there. I just got my brass and copper radiator by Autotechnik. Does anyone else have one of these? Were you satisfied witht he product.
Also, I had just bought a thermoswitch for my plastic radiator and it came with a paper like gasket. Should I use that gasket for the copper radiator or should I use a metal gasket?
Thanks!
pictures
Old 10-07-2003, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Never used one personally, but never heard anything bad about the aftermarket all metal radiators.

Yoy can use the paper gasket for a metal radiator too.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 10-08-2003, 03:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

GUS!

I see you got your radiator... get it runnin'!

Later man.

Oh, and not sure about what gasket to use... But I am thinking that since it came with your thermostat, it'll do.

Plastic radiator here.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Allright, thanks guys. I feel alone in this metal 944 radiator world.
|d| I have been running it with a bad leak, but now those days are over. It is quite heavy though compared to the plastic radiator, so something will need to go in the future to make my front end lighter.
pictures
Old 10-08-2003, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I've not heard about an available metal radiator - is that for all 944? Or certain models? Can you point me to a link or more info?

Thanks!
Sam
Old 10-08-2003, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sam, I bought it from performance products. Now, a word of caution. It was a pain in the @$$ to get it on. I was dissapointed because it didn't seem to fit as the stock one does. I had to bend some of the sheet metal where the radiator stands up on to be able to slide it into place. The metal radiator is BIGGER than the stock one and heavier. I also had to get rid of the rubber bushings were the plastic radiator resides on or else it would have not fit. The slots on top of the radiator did not line up where the top bushing's are to hold it down. Also, My fans would not mount up. And when I forced them into place, my passenger side fan was up against the water pump hose. So I got rid of the passenger side fan. Other than all of this my car's water temperature is nice. Not to mention no more leaks.
Now a question to those on the board, will my car be okay with only one fan? It seems to keep the temperature cool (first mark on the gauge). Which fan did cars with no a/c have (passenger side or drivers side)?
Thanks!
pictures
Old 10-08-2003, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow, sounds like a really low quality piece - thanks for the info!

Sam
Old 10-09-2003, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

No problem, I had no previous testaments to go by so I hope others now have something they can refer to before they buy an autotechnik brass/copper radiator.
pictures
Old 10-09-2003, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
How much did you pay for that gem ?
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 10-09-2003, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Drum Roll........$459.90 with Tax and shipping included. Radiator itself was 399.95 . Cost me a paycheck that I don't yet have
pictures
Old 10-09-2003, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
WTF?!!!! that much?! for that id want it to give me hed on demand!!! whats the point of it if its bigger, heavier and doesnt fit right and more expensive?!

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

There's a good possibility that they sent the wrong part... as in, it's a radiator.. but for what car? you know?
And Gus, why didn't you ask me about the radiator... I told you previously that I just put one in. =]
But no stress man, if the temperature is good, then I don't see a problem...
(The larger radiator might make up for the loss of the passanger side fan; but just in case, drop some "water wetter" in there.)

My specs:
Radiator: Plastic
Warranty?: Yes; Lifetime
Purchased from: "Associated Radiator", Located on Barranca; south of Cypress.
Price: $269.54 [w/ tax]

But you know what? It's in there now right? It's running well? No more leak!

Drive safe all.
Bye.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Well, it did say heavy duty radiator and that it was a higher capacity. I think that was a sign that it was going to be bigger. It had all the fittings in the right place though, but I think some planning that went into the radiator wasnt enough, like they didn't bother to see if it will fit in the car. The reason I got it was because I didn't want to deal with plastic cracking again, and this one I could probably fix myself. I just hope it has a good life considering the price.
|d|, I did consider a plastic radiator before I bought my brass/copper.
pictures

Last edited by rbt944; 10-10-2003 at 06:20 AM..
Old 10-10-2003, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Ya... Well damn for not testing it! lol.
But congrats on the new radiator man, and with it staying cool.

Later.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
You sure it wasn't a turbo radiator or something?
Ahmet
Old 10-10-2003, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Not at all. This is what it said it was for:
944 W/STD Trans 1983-85/1
pictures
Old 10-10-2003, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: