Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to daveimme
Angry Windshield wiper gremlins.....

Well, on the way home yesterday, it was raining, so of course, like any sensible human being, I turned the wipers on....rain slowed down for most of the ride home, so intermittent was sufficient.

Get off at my exit and it had stopped raining.....I turn the wipers off, but, 'WHA THE...????" intermittent still in operation. I lift the lever to normal, works fine; high speed (if that's what German engineers call it) and that too, works fine, drop lever to off position...intermittent, drop lever down to intermittent...intermittent. HUH?

I got so pissed I just took the dang fuse out and will put back in if and when it rains again.

I will put the fuse in again this afternoon (not raining today, but overcast) and see if the gremlins have hung around longer.

Meanwhile....anybody else have this happen to em? What did you do?
83 Suzuki LT 125 (4 wheeler) (wife)
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
2000 Kawasaki KX 65 (son)
2003 Honda XR 50 (Son and daughter)
Old 10-08-2003, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Relay and/or the wiper switch.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-08-2003, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
If it will do intermittent when wipers off and work normally when in other positions, I would think the switch more than the relay, eh?

Or dampness got in??
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 10-08-2003, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I've had a relay fail with the same results. Put the switch in the regular mode and see if the wipers run.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I had the relay fail and my wipers would only work on "fast" only. Also they would not "park". I suppose there is more than that one symptom for relay failure. If you have a friend who has a early 944 you could swap relays to diagnose.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have a box of spare relays, so i will pull this one and take a look and see.......I hate working on the relay board.....they seem to be quite fragile...
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 10-08-2003, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mine did the same thing a few months back. I pulled the switch, gave it a good cleaning, a little dab of grease, put it back together and haven't had a problem again.

My turn signal switch go the same treatment at the time, just as preventative maintenance.
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 10-08-2003, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
'Pulled the switch". Are you talking about in the steering column? I checked over my fuse/relay map and see that there is a relay for the 'intermittent' wipers, thus made me think that if I just remove that relay, all I will lose is the intermittent aspect of the wipers, correct? It's raining lightly today, and I put the fuse back in and it is still doing intermittent when in off position, and I was going to pull it out, but the ^&%$ fuse box above it is in the way of the big relay, so it will have to wait til I have more time than lunch break.

SO, if I pull the relay, will I lose normal use of wipers or just the intermittent mode?
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 10-09-2003, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Think the wipers will not park. You have to time it. Then maybe they will not work at all?
Old 10-09-2003, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by daveimme
'Pulled the switch". Are you talking about in the steering column?

Yep, remove the steering wheel. Remove the plastic shroud(might not be necessary but helps). Pull the 2 screws that hold the blinker/wiper switch assembly to the column, slide the assembly out as far as you can and unplug the 2 plugs.

I didn't have a manual or anything, it's all pretty self explanatory when you look at it. The only thing that really jumps out at me is, be careful during dissassembly. There is a spring and contact in the switch, and it will attempt to fly accross the room at least 3 times(once during teardown, and twice during reassembly ). Also, the way some of it 'inter-locks' together and the fact that it is all pretty thin and possibly brittle plastic, will merit some careful handling practices. From tear down to re-installing it into the car I probably had it all cleaned up and running correctly in about an hour's time.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I had to take my boy to the JR High dance last night, pick him up and take him to bowl.....all the while it was raining and had ample time to sit and wait in long line at pick up time and ponder the issue before me.

If I held the lever just a bit up from the off position, the intermittent will cease. If I let it go, it will continue. Playing with it, i.e., twisting it a little, etc I found that it would shut off, so thus we have it; the switch is at fault. Driving to work this morning, I did need it, but when having to stop on the interstate, and I turned the wipers off, sometimes the intermittent would cease....or they would work, but farther in between cycles...

So, it's the switch. And, I hate flying springs.......Monday is a holiday, and I will probably take the car to my mechanics so i can mess with it there; change transaxle fluid, test 02 sensor, and work on my boys 90' acura integra.

On another note.....while driving home after the bowling party last night, my boy tells me that the rear hatch window is making noise.....I find that it appears to be separating right behind the rear left passenger side where the glass meets the top. Is this a whole 'nuther can of worms? I wonder if state farm covers this as part of the windows comprehensive package?? Anybody know?
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 10-10-2003, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by daveimme
I find that it appears to be separating right behind the rear left passenger side where the glass meets the top. Is this a whole 'nuther can of worms? I wonder if state farm covers this as part of the windows comprehensive package?? Anybody know?
I'd highly doubt it, it would be like State Farm covering you for rust damage.

The only possible ways that State Farm would pay to fix or replace that problem is if you can somehow prove the problem were caused by vandals, or if the whole rear window were to get smashed.

But the next thing to consider on that is the value of the car vs. the price of a new replacement rear window/hatch. I'd almost bet they'd total the car over rear window damage, unless it's a cheaper piece than it looks like it is.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: