Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Jmasters
84 944 No Start

I recently bought my first 1984 944 Porsche NA, it has been sitting for about 10 years, was told that it was running when they parked it. But i can't sem to get it to start, I have changed the timing belts, cleaned the injectors, replaced starter. It cranks over fine but i can't get the fuel pump to turn on, have tried jumping it at the dme/fuel relay, replaced fuse. I know I am getting spark and not fuel, because i can spray a bit of starter fluid in the intake then crank it over and it runs for a couple of sec's. have checked all grounds i can find, with a voltmeter i get no volts at the fuel pump. also when i was trying to start it i did not have the fuel level sender hooked up would this cause the fuel pump not to come on?
Thanks
Old 10-08-2003, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It is possible to simply put something like a battery charger on the terminals of the fuel pump to test it. You should hear the pump turn on, and if the rail cap is off, you can measure the volume of gas pumped out in 30 seconds (should be something like 850 mm to 1 liter). This will also let you check for fuel pressure. If it won't turn on, than as FR stated, a new one is the probable solution. If you jumped the DME relay, I would expect to find voltage at the fuel pump - maybe there's a problem with the wiring.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

I'm not surprised that your pump isn't working after ten years standing - it's probably well glued up by residue. I am surprised that your injectors weren't glued too - if you buy a new pump and the fuel doesn't reach past the injectors you might try 'rocking' them as I had to do when they glued up over a two year stand. Basically get yourself a 1.5 volt battery holder and connect each end to the two connector pins whilst squirting injector / carb cleaner (I bought a spray can of the stuff and sprayed a load into a large syringe) into the injector feed. Intermittedly switch on and off and hopefully you'll manage to initiate the mechanism to accept some cleaner and little by little clear the injector.

Do make sure you do it in a well ventilated area though - for all the usual safety reasons.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 10-09-2003, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
What? Changed the timing and balance belts first? Oh well.

Sitting 10 years. Did you drain and clean out the gas tank? There is a corse screen filter in it. Could be gummed up. I would pull the pump and test it. Don't let it run for long. Replace the fuel filter and flush and clean the tank and fuel lines. Test for voltage at the fuel pump wiring (as previously suggested) when you crank the engine.

Once you know that the fuel delivery is good to go then you can worry about the fuel dampener, regulator and injectors.

I would also remove the spark plugs and crank the engine till you have at least 1 bar of oil pressure on the gauge. If you haven't, replace the oil filter with the proper Mahle filter first.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-09-2003, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jmasters
I have flushed the fuel tank until it was clean, changed fuel filter, changed oil, and oil filter, soaked fuel injectors in fuel injector cleaner for about two weeks, changing the cleaner about three times, all this was done before I tryed starting the car. with the fuel pump I can get it to run off a battery charger. with the fuel level sender does it have to be hooked up to get power to the fuel pump. also how would i go about replacing all the fuel lines, do i have to buy them from Porsche, or can I just buy fuel line? Thanks
Old 10-09-2003, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Did you check that there is 12 volts at the fuel pump when you crank the engine? Or bypass the DME relay's fuel pump circuit?
Old 10-10-2003, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
You can bypass all the other stuff by running a jumper from the pos. side of battery and touching it to the proper hole of the 9 pin connector that's right above the brake booster. I also use that same connector (diff. hole, obviously) to crank the motor w/o initializing the other electronic compenents that come online when you turn the key on.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
That info is on Wilk's web site; www.frwilk.com
Old 10-10-2003, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: