Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

@#$% odometer

I know this has been beat to death. I've been into my odometer three times and have determined the usual culprits are fine. My problem has to do with the "paddle wheel" looking gear that starts the odo. gear chain (from the speedo drive). The gear appears worn and the shaft it spins on is loose. Thus the odometer gears lose contact from time to time, usually when it is hot out. I can get a used speedometer, but I think I'll end up with the same can of worms (pun intended).

My question is: Has anyone dealt with Palo Alto or North Hollywood (speedometer shops)? I am hoping they can rebuild my odometer and not charge as much as a new unit. Any info will be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lilwolffeman
why don't you go to their websites and contact them to get an estimation.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Lightbulb

I encountered a different failure mode which sounds more like the one described than the metal advance gear.

The speedo cable drives a shaft mounted across the back of the speedo. The bearing for this shaft are the castings that make of the body of the speedo unit.

The casting wore down enough to let the shaft move far enough to disengage from the speedo cable.

My solution was to wedge shims between the shaft and the housing at the bearing points. I made the shims from the wall of a soda can, cut with the scissors on my trusty swiss army knife.

I expect them to fail eventually but I'm expecting the usual gear to fail eventually too. Anyone want to bet which will go first?

Nigel
Old 10-09-2003, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Nigel, you have the same problem I had. My "solution" was to slide a pin (made from a paper clip) between the shaft and the housing. It tightened the shaft up and the odometer worked for another 150+ miles.

Strange as it seems, my odometer operation can be correlated to where the car is parked. If I park outside and it is warm out, odometer won't work when I drive home. Park inside overnight, odometer works the next morning. Something is expanding in the heat. Perhaps one of the gears is expanding on it's shaft.

I can either hit everything with super glue or inquire about an R&R. If someone out there knows a reputable speedo shop that has done good for them, I'd like to here about it. Other home remidies are appreciated as well. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My shims have kept it works for 3000 miles so far. I put shims in both of the bearing points. I don't expect it to last for ever so I'm just as interested in the price of a rebuild.

Nigel
Old 10-10-2003, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: