Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Transmission problems

Hi, I have another question.

Sometimes the car has trouble shifting into 2nd gear. The syncronizer is going out I think. Is there a way to get this fixed? It is also sometimes hard to shift into reverse. What can i do about this?
Old 10-10-2003, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Well, new tranny fluid never hurts anything. Won't fix a real problem, but can smooth it out a bit. Also provides an opportunity to do a rudimentary inspection by checking the drain plug for metal shavings. But inevitably it will eventually need a rebuild. How many miles are on it?
Old 10-10-2003, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

73580 Miles exactly. Where does one put the tranny fluid? Its a manual
Old 10-10-2003, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Cant imagine wearing the syncros at 73k, but anything is possible. Check the linkage, and repalce the tranny fluid. There are two large 17 mm allen head sockets on the drivers side of my 81 924. Remove the filler plug first (top) the remove the drain plug (bottom). Refill with a qualitity tranny fluid, I use Swepco but there are a few other good ones out there also.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Swepco or Mobil 1 synthetic work well

Some silvery dust in the fluid is normal - don't want to see are chunks of metal.

At 73K miles, the only cause I can think of is abuse.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 10-10-2003, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i dont think theyve changed the tranny fluid in like 4 years. would this fix the problem? or could something be damaged.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

what weight oil is recommended??? i am not exactly easy on my car and am in a warm climate. i am moveinbg to texas in the next couple of weeks and am planning on changeing it first. i allways use either redline or mobile 1 when i am short on$$$

Last edited by guinnastysassy; 10-12-2003 at 07:52 PM..
Old 10-12-2003, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ok, how do i drain and replace the tranny fluid on a manual? I looked in the porsche 944 owners manual books and it didnt say crap.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Hall
There are two large 17 mm allen head sockets on the drivers side of my 81 924. Remove the filler plug first (top) the remove the drain plug (bottom). Refill with a qualitity tranny fluid, I use Swepco but there are a few other good ones out there also.
After draining install the lower plug and fill through the top plug. Get a haynes manual and it will tell you how much fluid to add

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: