Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
Does this seem like a good deal to you all?

Was getting some service done to my 944 and this car was sitting at the shop. Turned out it was for sale, and the owner had left it there to get the sunroof gears replaced. I got the number of the owner from the shop, and called but it was his work number and he won't be able to get back to me until monday. This car looked gorgeous in person, and I'm anxious to hear back from the owner. The shop said it was in perfect shape, and the owner is a PCA member who occasionally tracks the car. The people at the shop mentioned that some people were coming down to see the vehicle this weekend. I hope it does not sell...

Anyway, does the price sound right for the car? What should I look out for? Timing belt of course, but also I guess the chain tensioner, tranny ring and pinion, and what else? Any help would be great!
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 10-10-2003, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Maybe I should mention another thing. Getting this car would mean that I sell both my 944 as well as an '96 Audi A6 quattro that I use as a daily driver/foul weather warrior. I'm not sure if that would be a good decision, but man, this 968 is tempting! Apparently the seller even lives in the same zip code as me.

Anybody want to persuade me one way or another?
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 10-10-2003, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
eek i would love to have another car besides my pcar to drive on a daily basis. i would stay with the 944 because its not as risky. like what would you drive if you got into an accedent? or if something breaks?

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have to agree, it is tempting. Sell both cars, buy a cheap used toyota tercel 4WD to replace the audi, and buy the 968.
pictures
Old 10-10-2003, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
"Mmmm 968" (Homer Simpson Voice)..."If you buy it you'll want to drive it all the time" (Homer's Brain), "Be quite Brain or I'll poke you with a Q-tip!"

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 10-10-2003, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Yes this seams like a good deal. That is if it all checks out. Do some research on the 6 speed. I remember that 968's may have had issues there.

'87 911 Targa
Old 10-11-2003, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

looks great,just save some money to buy a simple daily driving car,donīt leave the 968 alone.

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2003, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
Wow, nice car. Id give my left b___ for that car. Dont worry, just sell your other cars, sell the wife and kids, sell the house.. mortgage your business.. Just get that car
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 10-11-2003, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
that's a really good price if it's in at least good condition.

Old 10-11-2003, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RF951
Yes this seams like a good deal. That is if it all checks out. Do some research on the 6 speed. I remember that 968's may have had issues there.
Hmmm...I thought the only the early model '92-'93 cars had the ring pinion problem. I'll check on that. This car appears to be a late-build '94, because it has the 993 seats, which I think were only installed beginning in mid-'94.

According to the owner, 2 people have already offered the asking price for this car, both of whom have not seen the car and are 200 or so miles away. Both were planning to see the car this weekend, so there is a good chance that it will sell, while I am busy working and studying for midterms . If it doesn't sell, I will likely go for it.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 10-11-2003, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nabeel
According to the owner, 2 people have already offered the asking price for this car, both of whom have not seen the car and are 200 or so miles away. Both were planning to see the car this weekend, so there is a good chance that it will sell, while I am busy working and studying for midterms . If it doesn't sell, I will likely go for it.
I too have been bitten by the 968 bug (I have been interested in Blackfoots car for awhile, but work has been sending all over the U.S. and when I do Have some time at home just when I'm ready to call him and set up a deal I turn around and my mailbox is full of bill$)
Biggest problem though is I would have to sell my 944, it's loud, smelly, rough around the edges, needs paint and interior work...
But it's paid for, great fun to drive, and in the condition it is in I don't have to worry too much about people messing with it. Plus I just plain love the way it looks and drives... add that trying to sell it is like pushing snowcones in Antartca.

On a lighter note if this car slips away 968's may not be the most common car around but they seem to be still available.

I may be driving a truck up to my brother in Oragon later this year... Hmmm... I wonder how far it it to Kent, Wa?

Last edited by scottmandue; 10-13-2003 at 09:43 AM..
Old 10-13-2003, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I'm assuming this particular car is sold now, because the owner has not called me back. That's a shame, because it seemed to be a very nice car, with the limited slip and sport package. I have definately been bitten by the 968 bug. I think my next car will be a 968....

Although I too would be very sad to see my 944 go. Ideally I would sell it to a member of this board or a Rennlister, because I would hate to see that car slip into the wrong hands. Maybe sometime down the road I can even buy it back.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 10-13-2003, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: