Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I need a windshield wiper motor..

Mine is making all kinds of noise and growling,and it try's to freeze up in the middle of the windshield,anybody know where I can get a good used one at a reasonable price?
Thx
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 10-13-2003, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

i have a used one out of my 85. it works fine and i'll be moveing to tx this weekend
Old 10-14-2003, 02:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have one that came out of a '84. Should be the same part number. One small problem is the plastic wiring harness has broken off its mount. Should have no effect on the operation. A little epoxy and it will be fixed. I'll let it go for $25 plus shipping. Satisfaction guaranteed. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
You can also use one out of a later car with a bit of modification. Gives you a faster high speed as it is a three speed motor and not a two speed.

Of concern is the drainage in your tray area. Wiper motors usually go bad because they get submersed in water.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-14-2003, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have one up for auction on ebay right now, it's complete with the rack and works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33657&item=2436999459
Old 10-14-2003, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to the timmer
Based on first hand experience, don't try to install it yourself unless you really know what you're doing. If not, you could be looking to replace the windshield, too.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by guinnastysassy
i have a used one out of my 85. it works fine and i'll be moveing to tx this weekend
What part of texas?
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 10-14-2003, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
You can also use one out of a later car with a bit of modification. Gives you a faster high speed as it is a three speed motor and not a two speed.

Of concern is the drainage in your tray area. Wiper motors usually go bad because they get submersed in water.
SoCal, how can a three speed mtr work in my car if it only has a two speed switch?
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 10-14-2003, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by the timmer
Based on first hand experience, don't try to install it yourself unless you really know what you're doing. If not, you could be looking to replace the windshield, too.
His 83 is easy to get to. You can drop the motor directly out of the frame with out taking off anything else.

I found that the newer wiper motor will fit if you do two things. One is to put the connector from the older wiper on it and grind a bit off two of the reinforcing rimbs between the gear reduction and the motor mounting.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by justin
SoCal, how can a three speed mtr work in my car if it only has a two speed switch?
As the 83 is wired you can't have three speeds. As you have to use the older wiper motors plug mounting I wired mine to the fast speed and the slow speed and left the middle speed disconnected.

What I found was that the fast speed on the newer wiper motor was about twice as fast as the old wiper motor. Great for driving the poor draining freeways we have out here. A little down pour and it's like driving through a car wash.

You could rig up a switch on the console to select between the middle and high speeds. To much trouble for the slight difference between the two speeds.

The idea is that you can use the later more common wiper motors.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

You may not need a new motor!

There's a technique for lubing the worm gear that quiets the noise at ZERO cost.

Hate to say this - but search the Renn List archives for the procedure. I did it on my 1990 S2 and what I though was a shot motor is now silky smooth and silent. Of course - YMMV!

RK
Old 10-15-2003, 01:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

sorry it took so long to reply, i am moveing to houston and my fiance is in dallas,we are both going back to school.

Last edited by guinnastysassy; 10-15-2003 at 09:00 AM..
Old 10-15-2003, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by guinnastysassy
sorry it took so long to reply, i am moveing to houston and my fiance is in dallas,we are both going back to school.
Hmm, Im just south of Fort Worth,Give me a call or e-mail me when you come through town or get settled,how much for the mtr?
Bigtruck76009@yahoo.com
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 10-16-2003, 02:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: