Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to donuteater
Need ideas for more power and speed.

First off thanks to all who helped me get my 83 944 running again. After reading this board i have discovered my days of torment from my 944 are just beginning. But I still get all funny inside when i tell people i have a porsche in my driveway. All that said.

I am looking for inexpensive ways to increase power and speed from my standard 83 944 2.5L 5 Spd. Can you guys give me some ideas that are relatively easy and inexpensive to get more speed. I dont need a 12 second car or anything just something to make the road go by faster.
Is it possible to add a turbo to my stock 944. I know thats some cash but still curious. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There isn't much you can do to the na that won't involve cubic $ other than shed weight. If you must have a turbo, get a 951 and get the upgraded suspension and brakes in the deal. That isn't to say the 944 is not a good car, just that off the line isn't its strong suit.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I think the concesus last time was:

Its easier and cheaper to buy a 951 than to retrofit yours, and:

If there was a way to out-engineer a bunch of Germans who live and breathe performance engines, it would found in the catalogs. Instead all you see are nickel-and-dime air filters, throttle cams, and not-street-legal exhausts.

The best you can do right now is to start dumping weight and save for the turbo. But these are GT cars, not drag racers. If you wanna be thrown in the back of your seat, get a hemi-Cuda. Just don't think your gonna make the turn at the end of the straightaway.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
more power: you are chit out of luck

more speed: upgrade the suspension, upgrade the brakes, take off excess weight, buy FRWilk's DME adapter, attend drivers' ed courses
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 10-15-2003, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

it's great that you get funny feeling inside telling folks that you have a p-car in the driveway, i'd just as soon they see me driving mine.

"may the force be with you"
Old 10-15-2003, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i allways tell people i have a vw
Old 10-15-2003, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to daveimme
For my car; my wife took the car to work one day (interpreter at the local high school where two of my kids go) and many of the staff said they saw the car around town quite a bit (pop. 4000) an didn't realize it was hers (mine!). More than just a few mention that the car is a one of a kind and stands out around town. She then got the idea that if we ever got rid of it, the whole town would be 'disappointed'. The cops in town know me, too, and wave to me when I go by (fyi, I'm a responsible tax payer...and it doesn't hurt that the police chief go to the same church that we do ).

The only drawback is when I'm in a hurry when I get close to work and weave around traffic to my exit, co workers know who it is, too!
83 Suzuki LT 125 (4 wheeler) (wife)
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
2000 Kawasaki KX 65 (son)
2003 Honda XR 50 (Son and daughter)
Old 10-15-2003, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Small towns. Growing up my grandfather was chief of police.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-15-2003, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

I can't believe how much faster my car is after I spent some time at the track with an instructor.

That being said, my 944 can be more enjoyable for street driving than my hot-rodded 911. I can have fun with the 944 without getting crazy, because it's underpowered. I can't step on the gas too hard with the 911 without commiting a felony, or at least being way too fast for safety on public roads.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Popsicle sticks
that's right I said it.
tape popsicle sticks to the inside of your exhaust,
then when you floor it, they come flying out
and it looks like your going really fast.
(I saw it on fast and the furious 3 preview)
Old 10-16-2003, 12:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

by God, that's ingenious!
that will be in the fourth movie!
Old 10-16-2003, 01:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage

Don't knock the deck of cards trick there....back in the 60's they were a hoot!

Yeah, that's one reason I like small towns; practically everyone knows everyone. The key is being someone that no one hates!
Just this morning, I had a bunch of kids clamoring to the window of a school bus waving like nuts at me....wasn't even the bus my kids ride on, either!

The underpower statement may be its strongest point; I just love the feel of cornering in this thing....It helps stave off my craving of owning a crotch rocket just because of how awesome it feels cornering.
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 10-16-2003, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by daveimme

Don't knock the deck of cards trick there....back in the 60's they were a hoot!

Yeah, that's one reason I like small towns; practically everyone knows everyone. The key is being someone that no one hates!
Just this morning, I had a bunch of kids clamoring to the window of a school bus waving like nuts at me....wasn't even the bus my kids ride on, either!

The underpower statement may be its strongest point; I just love the feel of cornering in this thing....It helps stave off my craving of owning a crotch rocket just because of how awesome it feels cornering.
Cornering in a 944 is like having your own super steel tube rollercoaster!

Small towns: Did you know that as a teenager my mother baby sat the Imus brothers. Yeap. They lived for a while in the small town where my parents were raised and where I was till the fourth grade. Small farming community. Potatoes, alfalfa and wheat. One of the first vehicles I drove was a harvester.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 10-17-2003 at 06:59 AM..
Old 10-16-2003, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by CJFusco
more power: you are chit out of luck

more speed: upgrade the suspension, upgrade the brakes, take off excess weight, buy FRWilk's DME adapter, attend drivers' ed courses

I agree with CJFusco on all counts!
-Z.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 10-16-2003, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Imus in the morning??? Cool. You might want to call in and recall an embarrassing moment he may have had (we've ALL had those), like when he got spanked for stealing the babysitters underwear and walking around wearing it like a hat!
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 10-16-2003, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I think the BEST thing about the na engine is that it can't be modified beyond what CJF said. That gives you more time and money to make it look good and run correctly. Nothing worse than a neglected porsche.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
Must there be a fourth?
Hehehehehe

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ds475
i don't know a whole lot about fuel injection, but i was wondering, would maybe getting a more powerful gas pump for more p.s.i. at the injector, could that maybe help? (not necessarily a huge jump in p.s.i. not to make it not run right, if that even makes a difference...)
Old 10-16-2003, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Cornering in a 944 is like having your own super steel tube rollercoaster!

Small towns: Did you know that as a teenager my mother baby sat the Imus brothers. Yeap. They lived for a while in the small town where my parents were raised and where I was till the fourth grade. Small farming community. Potatoes, alfalfa and wheat. One of the first vehicles I drove was a harvester.
Did she drop them on thier heads? Did they like it and beg for more? One of my first driving ex. was a tractor towing a hayrake. If I have a child, I'm running away back to arkansas.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lilwolffeman
talking about making the 944 look good, here's a pic of my car after i spent 3 hours cleaning it.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: