Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

fuel filter

where the hell is it? the owners manual says nothing lol

Old 10-14-2003, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Passenger side, behind rear tire, by the fuel tank.

1991 944S2 Rally #951 Rally-America.com
Old 10-14-2003, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
Back by the fuel tank. It should be just in front of it, toward the front of the car. A silver cylinder that is mounted pretty high. If you can't find it, follow the fuel lines.

edit:dial up...beat me to it...
Old 10-14-2003, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
Also, you should go get the "Haynes Porsche 944" shop manual. Should be available at local automotive stores for pretty cheap. It's not the best, but is pretty good at describing jobs like that.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

its a rather large cylinder. don't buy one at checker, as they try to sell you a "universal" type unit a that will require you to cut the fuel lines, etc. the correct one will have threaded fittings. got mine at the dealership because i was in a hurry

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 10-16-2003, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Macfreak007
yeah, get the mahle filter to replace it w/ its the best quality and it has better wrench space on it making the ob much much easier, been there done that make sure to have something ready to catch the fuel that comes out, and depressureize your fuel system first.... read the haynes manual!
Old 10-16-2003, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
i have one for sale if you want it
Old 10-16-2003, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rock---............I KNOW you have the haynes manual by now right?
Old 10-16-2003, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

one more thing, you can depressurize the fuel system easily by removing the fuel pump fuse, with the engine off, and then running the engine till it dies... voila, no pressure. but be ready to catch the fuel coming out, as it is a lot.... or you can punch a hole in the filter both top and bottom with a nail... that way you get much more controlled leakage of fuel. but only do this procedure with the old filter

Old 10-16-2003, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Macfreak007
haha never thought of punching a hole, but just get a pan ready and wear your safty glasses!!!!, i cannot stress that enough, may need to use some pb blaster on the bolts too, they can be pretty bad, especially if the filter is 15 years old like mine was
Old 10-16-2003, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

let's see, punching a hole in the fuel filter with a nail.

this could lead to being a darwin award recipient because of the spark, explosion and fire.

"may the force be with you"
Old 10-16-2003, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The fuel filter is located under the car, sorta next to the inner side of the rear passenger side tire. You can't miss it because it's a large silver color cylinder. You could also locate the underside of the fuel tank and follow the hose coming out from it to the filter.

If you raise the car and try to remove the filter, tie some shop towels around your wrists. You DO NOT want to get gasoline in your armpits, trust me. I'm not sure if what I did was right, but I took off that little plate that's screwed onto the side of the fuel tank (where the fuel pump is located) and pinched the hose in there with a wrench. It worked out pretty well. A LOT of fuel that has been packed into the fuel filter will drain out, it seems like there's an endless supply coming out.

Once you're done, it will also take a few cranks with the engine to get the fuel pumping through that massive filter again. After a couple tries, it should be pressured again and you'll be good to go.
-Koni Yellow Sport Adjustable struts and shocks
-225 lb springs up front

Cleaned grounds = happy 944
WTB: 951 black passenger door/fender
Old 10-16-2003, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

if anyone in the history of the world has ever sparked a gasoline fire by punching a fuel filter with a peice of steel ill eat my hat.
also if you have an oil pan to drain the gas into, it works much better than a towel as there is a lot of gas that will pour out. the towel will reek of gas forever. (and i speak from personal experience: do not put the towel in the wash with any of your clothes)
Old 10-17-2003, 12:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The fittings are usually quite tight. So here is my advice. Place two wrenches on the fittings one to turn while the other holds the filter side. Let them form an angle of about 10-20 degrees. Then squeeze them together. The fittings have the tendency to suddenly come loose. If you are using your arms instead of a hand squeeze, you will smash your knuckles or an elbow when they suddenly loosen.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 10-17-2003, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

someone please explain to me how an explosion is going to occur using the nail trick... explosion takes oxygen, no oxygen in the filter, thus no explosion... lots of criticism, not much though sometimes.

actually, less chance of darwin award due to much more controlled leakage of fuel.

Old 10-17-2003, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

also, i don't think you have to crank the engine to pressurize the fuel system. turning the key to on position will run the pump until the system is pressurized. you will hear the pump running and then shut off, at which point you are ready to fire it up.

Old 10-17-2003, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

When you grind steel with a grinding wheel, there is a huge amount of heat generated. The particles of metal being ground off by the wheel are very hot and are in our visible spectrum range so we perceive it as 'red hot'. We see the sparks because the particles are glowing as they are shot out from the wheel. Metal glows red at about 1200 F. Some of the carbon in the steel also burns during the grinding process enhancing the sparking. That is why steel sparks when struck.

Aluminum is a much softer metal. Because it is softer, far less heat is generated during a grinding process. The amount of heat generated is relatively low so the part does not get nearly as hot and, hence, there are no sparks. Aluminum is also a far better conductor than steel is. Thus the small amount of heat generated tends to dissipate into the surrounding metal more readily than with steel. Aluminum conducts heat 6X better than carbon steel.

I tend to agree that punching a hole in the filter with an ice pick would not be dangerous because it is ductile aluminum casing.
The aluminum is not hard enough to cause the steel to spark. The aluminum, itself, won't spark.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 10-17-2003, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by nynor
also, i don't think you have to crank the engine to pressurize the fuel system. turning the key to on position will run the pump until the system is pressurized. you will hear the pump running and then shut off, at which point you are ready to fire it up.
Just turning the key on does not run the fuel pump. You have to crank the car.

The fuel pump runs continously when the engine is running. It shuts off if the rpms on the engine drop below 200 or if you turn the key off or if the fuse blows.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-17-2003, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

winter-hater club member

check

Old 10-17-2003, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

MRPants:

when you are willing to punch a hole in the filter with a nail on your next fuel filter change please give me a little lead time, a couple of weeks or so and i will fly to dfw to watch you do it.

nynor:
earth is a class"M" planet, 78% nitrogen and 21% o2 and it's not the o2 in the filter that'll get you, it's when the spark, fuel and the o2 on the outside of the cannister start playing together.
i'd offer to fly to watch you do it also, but slc is too tough to get to for me.

"may the force be with you"
Old 10-17-2003, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: