Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Other boards perception of illegal street racing

I was absolutely stammered today to read some posts in response to an OT thread started on "technical BBS" that I subscribe to.

A poster stated that his cousin had wrapped his 911 around a tree racing a Civic, and how this big bad Civic had won the race due to this poorly engineered rear engine car. Anyway to keep this somewhat brief, I follow the same philosophy that Z-man and other do, "keep it on the track." I mentioned how irresponsible I thought this was in the first place.

You can guess what happened next! These guys flamed me for pages! One poster even went as for to say that "only real racing skill is displayed illegally, and on the street.

What has this world come to? Granted this is a hardware forum for high end gaming system, so I should suspect a younger crowd. But I think after reading some of the "kill stories" they posted I am going to take the commuter train to work from now on. I hope that those of with kids nearing driving age are trying to discourage this passion for "illegal street racing."

Sorry to rant but I needed to come back here for a sanity check.

1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-15-2003, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You were dealing with a group of ten foot tall and bulletproof individuals that equate the size of their manhood with their ability to go fast on public streets with an automobile not designed for racing period. In my years of membership in NHRA, PCA and other organized groups, not one has ever sanctioned street racing and in fact NHRA has ousted members advocating and practicing such activities.

Sadly, the individuals you were trying to educate are for the most part brain dead and probably the rest of their being will soon join their brains in Valhalla. I just hope they don't take innocent victims with them on their one way trip to Perdition.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

natural selection
just a shame they will probably select a few decent people with them.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Even more distrubing is them complaining that people don't get out of the way when they are (and I shudder to say this ) "raceing." One offered that he may need a louder exhaust so people will notice him more.

I wonder if these kids know that when I see these cars, I am usually fighting back the tears as I laugh!
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-15-2003, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fty
There are aloyt of ignorant people out there...Period.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
That is unbelievable........ but maybe they were referring to racing on x-box and nintendo ...hehehehe I guess now I know why they need the loud exhaust??? It never occurred to me that it was meant as a 'Get out of the way sign' !!!

What board is it Scott? I think you could get a few from here to sign on and state their opinion....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 10-15-2003, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
hehe, count me in....I'll go over there and raise some hell
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 10-15-2003, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

nothing nothing changes the expression on the face of some seat reclined to the floor wal-mart body kit jack@ss than seeing me openly laugh at them.
and i really cherish the moments when i have the oppurtunity to block their lane and s l o w way down so they can get a good look at what my back bumper says: PORSCHE
Old 10-15-2003, 11:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

see here in lies the predicament I live in:
I am driving, minding my own bussiness.
I see a civic with a HUGE exhaust.
I just want sooo bad to show this kid what an idiot he is.

To make him look like an ass
Or just decide to point and laugh

(yes, it does ryhme intentionally)

what to do, what to do, what to do.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPants
nothing nothing changes the expression on the face of some seat reclined to the floor wal-mart body kit jack@ss than seeing me openly laugh at them.
and i really cherish the moments when i have the oppurtunity to block their lane and s l o w way down so they can get a good look at what my back bumper says: PORSCHE
y'know. I was brought up to be modest and polite, but a few years ago I basically said "fu@@ it" and adopted the same attitude as you. I no longer feel guilty about pulling up to some jackass in a $30K Civic and letting him know just how stupid he looks

I figured heck, if he has a right to his own opinion, well then so do I
Old 10-16-2003, 01:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
It seems like every day there's a new story about some kid crashing his car while racing somebody on the street. Things can get ugly pretty fast out there, not to mention risks of loosing your license, increased costs for insurance, etc. It's amusing that street racing isn't more looked down upon on other boards, considering how irresponsible and dangerous it can be (and this isn't to say I've never participated, but I certainly don't condone it). I'd say Pelican's BBS is doing fine on this aspect, and rennlist isn't bad either, but some other boards like bimmerforums, or clubwrx and many others are much worse.
Ahmet
Old 10-16-2003, 01:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

lest we forget, the caliber of the average Pelican lister is quite higher than that of the boneheads of which you speak. you might recall a few incidents in the last month or so where the occasionall hapless jackass would stumble across our board and attempt to raise the ire of our friendly community to no avail, with just the type of banter that Scott mentioned. our intrepid listers immediately proceeded to eject said miscreant with a well deserved tongue lashing. making him scurry off, tail tucked firmly between his legs, while calling mommy on his flashing-battery clear-cased Nokia 2600

remember, if you create the environment, they will come....

and we DON'T

Last edited by ronin; 10-16-2003 at 01:58 AM..
Old 10-16-2003, 01:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I've posted about racing a few times. There's one up right now.
the only diff. between you and me is that I posted my experience, others did not.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 1.2gees
I'd say Pelican's BBS is doing fine on this aspect, and rennlist isn't bad either, but some other boards like bimmerforums, or clubwrx and many others are much worse.
Ahmet
The MR2 board locks down all threads about street racing. They also ban people who continally try to post stuff like that. They don't have a 'kills' forum. It's good to see that not all of the import world is into street racing.

Like the SUV phenomena (which I hate!), the street racing phenomena is here to stay for now. I believe that the only things we can do is this:
1. Stay out of their way. While our egos want us to 'stay ahead' of street racers, blocking them, or going faster just so they don't pass us can lead us to getting involved in an accident they caused. The sooner you let them buy, and the most distance you put between them, the more time you'll have to steer around any accidents they may cause.
2. Do not engage them. I've had many a 'fart-can-exhaust, mondo-spoiler, wretched bodykit, Bling! Bling!' ricer challenge me for a race on the streets. I've waved them all away: I don't care if they post "Another Porsche OWNED!" thread in their stupid car forums: it makes no difference to me. I know I can lap Lime Rock at around 1:10 seconds, and that I'm a decent autocrosser: I have nothing to prove to them on the streets.
3. Call the police. There's hardly a person without a cell phone. If there's a stupid racer driving recklessly around you, dial 911 and get the authorities involved.
4. Speak out. You probably know my stance on street racing. (Duh!) While arguing doesn't get you anywhere, stating facts and logically debating may help influence some people NOT to street race. You may not reach the individual you are debating with, but you never know who is listening (or reading) your comments.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now: sorry for being so long-winded!
-Z.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 10-16-2003, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1.2gees
It seems like every day there's a new story about some kid crashing his car while racing somebody on the street.
It's not limited to the US by any standards. Only last week two nutters racing through a built up residential street in London (I think) at up to 80 mph in a pair of hot hatches (side by side) hit an oncoming family plodder head on. Needless to say the young mother and her kid were killed instantly. The father is still in a coma. As is so often the case the two streetracers escaped without serious injury.

Only the other day I was overtaken on the centre reservation by some guy doing about 90 mph (I was doing 70) whilst I was overtaking a bus on the motorway. No big deal except it's a two-lane stretch and he could only have been about a gnat's cock from my offside wing and the steel barrier. Then he had to slam on the anchors to avoid shoving his face into the arse end of a truck. Sometimes you just have to wonder ... if they had a brain cell it'd have died of loneliness years ago.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 10-16-2003, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
"Nutters", "plodder", "centre reservation", "offside wing", "slam on the anchors".

Just got to love the jargon! Don't mind if I incorporate some into my daily vocalizations?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-16-2003, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
least common denominator

SoCal you left out my favorite "gnat's cock"

Don't want to preach but...
RE: the nintendo referance, a study I read states that kid are spending more time playing video games than watching TV most of these game encourage anti social behavior i.e. street racing or resolving conflicts with violence... add to that we allow TV and movies to baby-sit our children and they are not exactly holding up high moral values.

And the meek shall inherit the earth... I have spoken!

Rev. scottman Div.
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Back in the sixties, we didn't brag about street racing. We drove Volkswagon Buses. We grew our hair long instead.

Now, instead of hair, I have a lot of fast cars (ok, not the diesel Mercedes) and motorcycles. Still don't go fast.

But you have to understand. It's totally understandable why these guys feel the need for speed. When you drive your P-car, you want people to see you, so you cruise at a reasonable speed. If you drove a "freak of nature" you too would be in a hurry to get the hell out of it before anyone saw you.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
"Nutters", "plodder", "centre reservation", "offside wing", "slam on the anchors".

Just got to love the jargon! Don't mind if I incorporate some into my daily vocalizations?

Be my guest - it's a free-ish country.

In Lakewood, Ohio (where my wife hails from) there is an area of bars and shops (about a quarter of a mile square) where a good many Americans have seized on my standard greeting of: "Hello, Chap!"

At first I thought they were taking the piss but apparently it has a large gay population and they loved it! Pansies.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 10-16-2003, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by scottmandue
SoCal you left out my favorite "gnat's cock"

Don't want to preach but...

And the meek shall inherit the earth... I have spoken!

Rev. scottman Div.
When we get through with it they can have what little will be left!

New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-16-2003, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: