Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry PSA: Watch your @55 on I-295 around Richmond...

Back in August, I made a critical error in choosing the time and place to pass out of southbound traffic on I-295 in my 944S... compounding the error, I was not watching my speed. However, the radar unit operated by Mr. State Trooper Person most certainly was, and immediately pulled me over. I was cited for 102 in a 65. "This is bad", was my immediate reaction.

Yesterday, I went to court in Hanover County and was extraordinarily fortunate to emerge with ONLY a $500.00 fine and a 90 day license suspension... the standard operating procedure, I later found out according to several deputies and other folks in the courthouse, is to issue a mandatory *30 DAY* jail sentence for excessive speed in addition to the fine and suspension.

Thirty farkin' days in the clink. And he does it quite frequently, from what I was told.

Two separate deputies later indicated their amazement that I was not sentenced to jail... the judge suspended it because I had an otherwise completely clean record.

So kids, learn from my mistake. Avoid I-295 around Richmond at all possible costs... the courtroom in Hanover County was almost standing room only with all the traffic infractions there. The cops on that stretch of road are positively mercenary. I'm sure Sternn will back this up, but again...

WATCH YOUR ASS. As for me, I'm sticking to I-95 from now on, I don't care HOW bad traffic is in Richmond.

Lynn

My other car is ... oh wait, I don't have another car.

Chicks dig Messerschmitts.
http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/pshop/ge6sm.jpg
Old 10-17-2003, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to interglossa
I think the real trick here is not to speed. I can see going 70-75 in a 65 as being "not watching my speed", but 102 is very excessive. You're lucky you're not "in the clink".
Old 10-17-2003, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
30 days for speeding....

? I wonder what you would get for killing someone on that stretch of road?
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 10-17-2003, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just went through there on the way to Williamsburg a few days ago. Cops were a somewhat busy. It was Friday afternoon. Went through again Monday morning but no cops on Monday.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 10-17-2003, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Have you ever noticed how traffic will speed up when you get to a city. I remember one trip to Chi Town when the Atlanta bypass was everybody going 85+ and when I got back on 75N it slowed down to the speed linit of 70. I tend to get a little lead footed on an open road with minimal traffic, BUT I do not feel it is prudent to haul A** in heavy traffic. Just my 2 cents worth.

Peter

looking for a 924S or 944S2 to AutoX
2005 F150 FX4 + Trailex
Old 10-17-2003, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

I got that beat.

Bombing down the M40 at almost full chat in a 3 litre Supra Turbo at six on a summer's morning - the only car on the road. You can imagine my surprise to have a copper, blues and twos on full vol, filling my overtaking mirror at a rate of knots. One minute he wasn't there - the next he practically launched from a trough in the road behind. He was driving one of those Volvo V70 things and I was surprised just how fast those things move - they must weigh a ton.

I can't describe the shock of going from King of the Road to virtually hearing the chokey door slamming behind me !!!
I didn't even wait to have him wave me over - I just immediately pulled over onto the hard shoulder knowing that I was very very fcuked. In my mind I was tearing up my own license.

And the rozzer just carried on into the distance! I couldn't believe it. I was so shocked I wondered whether I should just wait for him to come back or something. Driving at a much more sedate pace (70!) I eventually saw why the guy had left me for more pressing matters. A truck had spilled his load on the exit ramp about ten miles further up.

I don't know what the usual punishment for doing twice the speed limit is on a motorway but I bet it wipes the smile off your face. Instant ban plus retaking the test - big fine and possibly three months in jail. It's a sobering thought - I hardly do more than 95 these days.

Oh yeah don't do this at home. Don't do drugs etc.

In mitigation I drive like a nun in town.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."

Last edited by Dark Skies; 10-17-2003 at 10:57 AM..
Old 10-17-2003, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I was so shocked I wondered whether I should just wait for him to come back or something.
LOL!!!!

Around here, if you get caught doubling the speed limit, you lose your license, but I am not sure for how long. I don't intend to find out. =)

If it ain't broken, drive it until something is.

Have you spent quality time with your Engine Gnome lately?

Defend Your Joy
Old 10-17-2003, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Re: PSA: Watch your @55 on I-295 around Richmond...

Quote:
Originally posted by 109er

the courtroom in Hanover County was almost standing room only with all the traffic infractions there. The cops on that stretch of road are positively mercenary. I'm sure Sternn will back this up, but again...
living proof that it's not about public safety, but rather about revenue. remember, the seemingly lenient punishment that a judge may dole out isn't necessarily reflective of wanting to give someone a break, but more likely a decision based on improving the court's bottom line
Old 10-17-2003, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
$592 is what the cost of getting out of "racing on the highway" down here is... i know this first hand. one night (before i was slapped itno sense with a huge bill) i was going to play pool(billards) with one of my friends and was on a 3 lane road with no traffic and a 45mph speed limit. i stopped at a light and when it turned green a black civic(93) and a maxima(2002) went buzzing past me. at this point in my life i was headstrong for any challenge in my life so i wanted to "show them up" so i took off after them in my 98 civic. i caught up with them and went fling past them at over 120mph. the other civic just gave up and the maxima tried to keep up but was slowly loosing ground and eventually started to slow down. when i saw this i did the same. a few seconds later i see head lights flying up in my rear view mirror and just knew it was a cop so i just pulled over in a parking lot right before he got to me and turned the car off and waited. to shorten the story a little bit i asked the cop what they clocked me at and she said "i honestly dont know, i didnt have time to clock you." my friend who was with my said the guage pegged out, i wasnt paying attention, i was just watching the road. after paying $300 to my lawyer he got me off on just a $295 fine and an appearance in court. the judge gave me a long talk and said i was lucky i had a good lawyer because he could have given me jail time more fines and 1 year suspension on my license.... its safe to say i dont speed anymore....

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:
THE RAVING

Once upon a midnight dreary, as I tinkered, weak and weary,
Whilst I laboured tired and bleary,
Over strange sporadic woes with yon straight four,
Suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear 944.
Ominous tap, tap, tapping,
Expensive snap, snap, snapping,
Ferocious flap, flap, flapping,
Came from within the engine's core.
"Tis not possible," I muttered, "those belts were new in ninety-four!"
Quoth the salesman, "forever poor!"
ouchies.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

This is a little OT, but were you at the Kirkland CompUSA today Ronin? There was the sweetest 944 in the lot, I did not get a good look at it.

If it ain't broken, drive it until something is.

Have you spent quality time with your Engine Gnome lately?

Defend Your Joy
Old 10-17-2003, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

no sir, t'was not I. I kept to the west side today. (Edmonds) did it have the same wheels as mine??? don't see that too often
Old 10-17-2003, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Its always been that way around there...and God help you if you have out of state plates. Va in general is the worst state I have been thru as far as tickets go.

Old 10-18-2003, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: