Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to perfecto951
"Where's the Boost?"

Ok, so I知 tired of driving around in an 8:1 compression N/A 951, it's rather slow without the help of an...um, turbo.

I haven't tached up my motor high at all; shifting before 3K while it is broken (in fear of damaging the turbo.) My gauge builds to 1 bar, no more. The turbo is spinning; you can hear it very clearly. The clutch doesn't seem to be absorbing the turbo effect (no smell, and even if it was slipping the turbo would show boost I would think.) The waste gate lines are all plugged in, I made sure all my major connections are airtight (intake boot, IC pipes, hoses, vacuum lines).

What would happen if they cycling valve died? That痴 all I can think of.

Also, I知 not 100% sure about how the waste gate works. Is there a diaphragm inside that diverts the exhaust gases? If there is, does it wear out, and how easily is it replaced? And most importantly, how would it act if it DID wear out.

Does anyone have a clue?

Old 10-17-2003, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
I'm not absolutely sure, but I read in my Upfixin Der Porsche: When the knock sensor senses knock, it retards the timming, if there is just way too much knock, the KLM will go into a "default" mode to where it won't allow more than 1 or 1.1 bar of boost untill the damaged components can be replace, or better gas or whatever was causing the knock in the first place.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
Are you at home? If so, call my cell, we are finishing up that motor swap - I can look at it too

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 10-17-2003, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If the cycling valve died, you should still have about .5 bar boost.

drew1

wife has 924 turbo
Old 10-18-2003, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Re: "Where's the Boost?"

Quote:
Originally posted by perfecto951
Ok, so I知 tired of driving around in an 8:1 compression N/A 951, it's rather slow without the help of an...um, turbo.

I haven't tached up my motor high at all; shifting before 3K while it is broken (in fear of damaging the turbo.) My gauge builds to 1 bar, no more. The turbo is spinning; you can hear it very clearly. The clutch doesn't seem to be absorbing the turbo effect (no smell, and even if it was slipping the turbo would show boost I would think.) The waste gate lines are all plugged in, I made sure all my major connections are airtight (intake boot, IC pipes, hoses, vacuum lines).

What would happen if they cycling valve died? That痴 all I can think of.

Also, I知 not 100% sure about how the waste gate works. Is there a diaphragm inside that diverts the exhaust gases? If there is, does it wear out, and how easily is it replaced? And most importantly, how would it act if it DID wear out.

Does anyone have a clue?
I don't quite understand your post?

1. Is the turbo broken? Can you confirm this?
2. You don't take it past 3K rpm and have little or no boost? No kidding.
3. Are you having driveability issues? When did it start? Explain what happened?
4. Is the car completely stock?

FYI: The stock guage is a piece of junk.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 10-18-2003, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i know the guage is junk, but i'm sure it's reading correctly. the turbo isn't broken. the 3K thing is just a precaution. the car is 100% stock. maybe if my KLR computer is just bugging out, i might pull the battery cable and see if it resets - it's worth a try.

i'm going to look at it tomorrow. i'll call you brad, it's going to be my only day off for a long, long time.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Also, how does the KLR sense knock? Is it a microphone like other cars? cause if it is, i think i know what is setting it off.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Last time I only had 1 bar of boost, I removed the J-boot and stared at a destroyed compressor wheel. I left a bolt in the air box and foudn its way in and destroyed the blades.

Something to check.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-18-2003, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
The knock sensor is somewhat of vibration sensor between the 2 and 3 cyl. It's bolted to the block.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Metallic pinging (like for instance, a bad bearing in an AC compressor) can set off a knock sensor. (or any metallic ping within the frequency range of the sensor)

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 10-18-2003, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: