Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
seat rails

Today as I left work, I broke the floor hold downs ( for lack of a better description) for my drivers seat. I had this same problem on one of my 924's also. Has anyone else had this experience? What did you do to correct (fix) it?

NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 10-17-2003, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I don't have this issue, so I won't be of any help. But do you know why they are snapping? Is it rust or fatigue? Just curious in case this happens to me.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-17-2003, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Can you bolt strait though to the underside for the repair?

(How much do you weigh.......) LOL, Just kidding.

If it ain't broken, drive it until something is.

Have you spent quality time with your Engine Gnome lately?

Defend Your Joy
Old 10-17-2003, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
Scott
My 924 was in a collision before I got the car and the jolt tore the seat from the bracket. With my 944, I am just not sure but I suspect that it is fatigue, as you said,
Pike
Yes, I am overweight.. JK LOL
Drilling thru exposes the metal to rust. It compomises the special anti rust coating on our cars
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 10-17-2003, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

I had something similar - if we're talking the same problem. The steel 'pocket' over the front mounting captive nut cracked about an inch or so. I too had a minor collision - I 360-ed in the wet on the highway (avoiding a shredded truck tyre) and ended up flying up an embankment backwards - hitting the driver side sill on the mud.

"Put your hazards on so people will see you" said my then girlfriend. I think the sight of a Porker spinning in the middle of a three lane highway, not hitting a single car and then neatly reversing up (at 60 or so) a tall mud embankment seemingly unscathed probably would have been sufficient to draw attention to one's self.

Anyway I think the wrench on the seat mountings caused the same problem as you have. I made up a couple of 2mm steel plates about 2" X 1 1/2" or so with holes in the centre and then took them down to the local Porsche dealer to have them welded over the top of the crack. Only one was cracked but I figured the other might not be far behind - besides it evened up the seat level. Difference in seat height afterwards is negligible

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."

Last edited by Dark Skies; 10-18-2003 at 04:19 AM..
Old 10-18-2003, 01:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Macfreak007
happened to me also in an accident, rearended, and also bent my seat frame, really sux!, but yeah welding is about the only thing you can do, i think that someone, maybe on rennlist did this recently and has pics, do a search, good luck, oh and my car was totaled so i didn't bother
Old 10-18-2003, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I fixed mine about a month ago, the bolts had ripped through while the PO had it. I just cut some 1/8" plate, drilled and tapped some holes (m6x1, I think), and welded them over the original locations. Just remember to disconnect your negative battery cable and unplug your DME if you're going to weld on the chassis.

I participated in a thread about this a little while ago, might want to search my previous posts if you're interested.

-Tom

Old 10-18-2003, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: