Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

It's still there.

I thought I'd sorted this, but I haven't. This sound is getting to me! If you drove along a road that had a small diameter rope stretched across it at equal intervals you would get a sort of soft thud thud thud sound from the tyres, well that's the sound I'm getting, from a perfectly smooth road. It is most pronounced when approaching a junction ( possibly on the overrun ) to add to the mystery it isn't always apparent. Can any of you guys point me in the right direction for a cure? As usual all replies appreciated.

Old 10-18-2003, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Any sound that is the same frequency as a rotating wheel is a bad tire or bearings or CV joint's. If it's a bad tire you may play hell finding it. If it's a bad bearing just jack up each wheel individually, put one hand on the backing plate and rotate the wheel. You should be able to feel it. CV joints you may or may not be able to feel it.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-18-2003, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have checked the tyres, but will recheck, I had thought of bearings, but thought these would be noisy all the time, and after reading up on the changing procedure for s2 It seemed quite involved unless I was more convinced. If I had to point to the location I would say l/h rear. Will try your tests SoCal. The shafts move in and out a little but other than that no movement, but I suppose that doesn't prove much! Thanx.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

is it really cold when you drive? sometimes a car sitting in cold weather gets flat spots on the tires, that would explain it's infrequency.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Sometimes you can isolate the CV noise by driving in tight circles in a quiet parking lot and listiening. The small tight circles will stretch and load the axles and the CV's. You will hear it for sure. Have your passenger stick their head out the window too.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

a nail in the tire, been there.

"may the force be with you"
Old 10-19-2003, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Suggestions noted with thanx.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
If you could tow your passenger behind you on a skateboard, so much the better!
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Is that an item of porsche diagnostic equipment, if so have you got the part number?
Old 10-19-2003, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
'86 951
Old 10-19-2003, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
How hot is it Todwic?
Old 10-19-2003, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
not right, at all.
'86 951
Old 10-19-2003, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by hoover
I had thought of bearings, but thought these would be noisy all the time, ....
no sir, it is quite common for an uneven, rough, or less-than-perfect surface to mask many a vibration or noise within the drivetrain. hence, driving on smooth pavement can be a very good way to ascertain if all is well. the smoother the road, the more you'll hear. check SoCal's suggestions. they were my first guesses as well

Old 10-20-2003, 12:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: