Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Burn the fire.

Garage
Inexpensive 924, what to do?

Hi there, it's been a while since i've popped my head up in here and I could really use the PAP 944 Community's help with my next quest.

Since my 944 disaster i've been stuck with my VW bug for a while. I'm thinking it's time to save up and move on to a 924 and make it into a track/sunday driver car.

I'm looking at spending maybe $1,000 most (for the car itself), as i've seen some decent ones going for $700-$1000 here. Can some possibly help me figure out what kind of modifications i'd be doing to a 924 in this price range to make it good for the track? I've already had some ideas... such as:

- Upgrade to slotted rotors all around, possibly with the 951 calipers and sized rotors all around (is this a possible conversion?)

- Change over to aluminum suspension parts, and stiffer suspension (better shocks/tortion bars or coil-overs or... ?)

- Spring-centered clutch, as not to deal with the rubber one burning out.

- Stabalizing struts/body stiffening (what to do here?)

- Better Cooling (what to do here?)

- Possibly drop in a late-year 2.5L 944 engine (is this possible?)

if you have any suggestions or ideas, please please add on. I'm curious as to how much this will cost me in the long run, as i doubt on my pay i'd be able to do go through with a bunch of these ideas in the next year.

All help is apprecieated

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 10-20-2003, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Macfreak007
why move from a 944 to a 924? slotted rotors are possible but they don't really give you that much of an advantage, i prefer just regular, koni suspension all around is awesome if thats what you mean by better suspension, rubber clutch is fine, spring centered just last longer and is more ridgid, body stiffening not really worth it in my idea, upgrade suspension etc. first. and I'm ot sure about cooling, and i doubt the engine swap would be worthwhile, again i wonder, why not just get a cheap 944, or is it all the money issue?
Old 10-20-2003, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Brandon, Don't even think of a 924. But if you do there is a set of side draft webbers and a header system for the 924's on eBay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2437818514&category=34198

These will not fit a 944 as the seller thinks.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-20-2003, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Macfreak, it is the money issue. I'm spotting 924s in the sub $1000 range in decent condition. Whereas a 944 will set me back about $3000

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 10-20-2003, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: