Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to bkrdave Send a message via Yahoo to bkrdave
Throwout bearing clearance?? HELP!

I am in the middle of a clutch/ torque tube rebuild among other things on my 1985.5 NA - Never did one of these before. Anyone know how much if any clearance I am supposed to have between the throwout bearing and the fingers on the pressure plate? With all the shims that came with it I am assuming the spring washer goes against the fingers, then enough shims to take up the space to allow spring compression to hold the clip in the slot of the top washer.

Am I right???

This turned into quite a project, apparently the guy that had this before me, a mechanic I used to work with (unfortunate for me!), really screwed a lot of things up. He put in a clutch, just a disk and a pressure plate, and the pilot bearing seized and took out the end of the torque tube and the throwout bearing guide tube. Hooray for Pelican and Ebay... I found some funky stuff besides this tho. Anyone want me to post it I have photos of the progress..

Somebody please save me with this bearing thing!

-Biker

Old 10-20-2003, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Looks like I have to guess, good thing I am good at this huh. Will post and let you all know what happens, could be another teardown.... not

-Biker
Old 10-21-2003, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Do you have a Haynes manual? I saw all that information (or atleast most of it) in my Haynes manual. Of course I dont have the manual at home, so I guess I am no help.
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

the board is bit slow sometimes. im sure someone has the answer.
and post the pics. i admire anyone with the testicular fortitude to do a clutch job on one of these.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Haynes is scetchy about clearance but shows a good exploded veiw. I have Alldata at my shop and it has no insight on the clearance. Couple of guys at iATN told me no clearance. I put the thing on the pressure plate last night before I left with one shim which left me just enough to get the clip in there. I am going on the assumption that being a hydraulic clutch the spring washer is there to give pedal freeplay but having something loose all over the fingers of the thing is most likely a bad idea.

You think the clutch took fortitude? I replaced the torque tube as well. Figured out the entire rear suspention has to come out to get just enough clearance to pass the spare tire well. Had to hotwrench the linkage off too, thank god for ebay.

Will post (with many pics tho they are mostly bad) sometime in the next couple of days, it's going together this morning/afternoon once UPS gets here with the shift linkage rod from the shifter to the trans (used of course).

Hey guys and girls, was not trying to come off wrong earlier, just figured someone had to have done major work to a 924/944 at some point and run into this. It's frustrating doing this kind of work sight unseen, but honestly the clutch in these is pretty straightforward and hell it's the easiest trans drop I think I have ever done.

That being said-- thanks!

-Biker
Old 10-22-2003, 01:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
From memory I used three shims, the same amount that was on the T/O on the original pressure plate. There was not any amount of clearance between the fingers and the bearing. IT should be a bit difficult to install the spring clip.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-22-2003, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

just put the throw out bearing on a hard surface, put the pressure plate on top and push it down. Put on as many shims as you can, if you can't install the circlip, remove one at a time until you can.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Done. Works perfectly. Thanks to you folks with the last posts but that what I figured and it is also what I did. Thanks!

-Biker

Old 10-22-2003, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: