Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Post What makes a Porsche "Concours" worthy?

Does anyone here partake in the PCA concours events? The reason I ask is this, my Rocky Mountain region PCA is having a charity concours in mid June. I was going to enter, but I have no idea of how spectacular my 944 has to be. I have a 85.5 n/a, but I have done a complete restoration recently. Stripped the whole car to have it painted, and replaced all the little interior pieces, and had the seats and carpets done. But I don't have the original radio. At any rate I have no idea what they look for or judge. Anyone know? If you look in my owner gallery you can see pictures of how it looks today. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-04-2001, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Of course it all depends on the judging, but a concours car should be BETTER than flawless. Please let me explain.

A concours car should have all matching numbers in all areas (i.e. paint, option, engine, chassis codes), and everything should be in working order. I've seen them check for perfect staightness on the radiator fins, and they also put thier hands into the crack of the seat to check for "flaws". Also, remember that anything non-OEM detracts from the car in a big way. We're talking correct tire profiles, (yes - the stereo - sorry), and even color of all fluids.

Yeah, concours is really saying something. But if you think that your car has got it, go for it!
Old 06-04-2001, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Talking

Sorry, that must have been another type of concours event!
Old 06-04-2001, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Scott. Panzer is righ on target... everything must be perfect. Correct, date coded window glass, original type and manufacture tires and rims, matching SN's on components, even the headlamp bulbs must be original types and dated within the mfg window. I have even seen people change to a clean air-filter at some show's. Most folks who beging to show a car, get it close the first time, show the car and then listen to the comments from the judges. A suggestion to fix this, update that etc is how your can can get better. "Excellence" magazine had an article a year or so ago about a guy who shows a blue boxter. The article shares some of his tips and techniques along with some very good pointers for others who are thinging of showing their cars. I'd say, show your car, take the adivce of more experienced owners and pay attention to the classification you are trying to compete in. All to often, a good car is passed over because it's competting against cars that were brought in on trailers etc.

Good luck and let us know how you do...
Old 06-04-2001, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I am pretty much out of the running then, I have a hands free setup for my cell phone as well, I can't shift and drive at the same time. And I am sure that I have a few bent radiator fins.
Old 06-04-2001, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

No, don't give up. Perhaps a different classification is better for you. Something like a street or modified class etc. Ask the registration folks for a list of show classes...
Old 06-04-2001, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

According to page 15 of my PCA info, there are 8 levels of concours-

1. Full- better than new, submicroscopic examinations by the judges, all parts are correct for your car and in immaculate condition. Expect a near tear down in the judging.

2. Touring(Street)- In this class, the judges don't look under the chassis front or rear, except for the Preservation group

3. Top Only(Serious)- this is open to wide interpretation, ask ahead of time what is to be judged.

4. Closed- only the exterior is examined- ask before you enter!

5. Diplay Only- Your car is there only to be shown and is usually not eligible for trophies.

6. People's Choice- kind of a "most popular" car voted on by the spectators

7. Judge's Choice- another version of People's Choice but only judges vote.

8. Preservation- a new catagory introduced in 1996 and the emphasis is on preservation of the car as built by the factory. A Cardex/PCNA Certificate of Authenticity is required. Judges look, but don't touch. The car should have as much original equipment as possible-- note ORIGINAL, not repro or replacement.

Every region has its own rules and variations, contact your regional PCA director. Just because there are cars there that are trailered in, doesn't mean you shouldn't compete, just be aware of the classes and what class you might be thrown into. By all means- go for it, you'll meet all kinds of great people and learn a whole lot about your car.

Good Luck
Dave951M
Old 06-04-2001, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Here are some pics that I took this weekend, this was the first time out since the restore.

Before:

After:

[This message has been edited by Scott R (edited 06-04-2001).]
Old 06-04-2001, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Ok- now I'm jealous, your car looks great. Go ahead and enter the concours, I think you'll have a great time. I take it you're a PCA member, the member guide 4th edition is where I got my info. Keep us posted on your score.

Dave951M
Old 06-04-2001, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hoff944
Right on Dave. There are many levels or concours which you can enter your car in.
Old 06-04-2001, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I just didin't want to get laughed out of the competetion. I found my rule book, and it looks like I should at least go and show this coming 11th, I missed the trophy deadline, but like you guys said I should just go and see what all the tricks are.
Old 06-04-2001, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I say, just enter. Its a charity event, they'll like anyone to enter. Really, they're not going to laugh you away, most charity events are relaxed and not that bad.
Old 06-04-2001, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

Scott R, Nice Porsche!!

------------------
PORSCHE There is no Substitute!
Old 06-04-2001, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Your car's daily driven right? And it's restored...

You can't compete in anything too big, I'd be proud of my car, and go, but...

Center caps, wrong tires, etc.

Go show, and see what you can do with a daily driven car, they're supposed to have categories, let us know how it turns out too, and good luck.
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
My page over1g@hotmail.com
Porsche owners Gallery.../My 944
Old 06-04-2001, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Yea, the tires on the picture are 225 50 15's. I have two sets of rims these tires I use when I am driving the canyons here in Colorado. I'll switch them back to the 215's this week. But it's not a daily driver at all. I sometimes take it to work on Fridays, rest of the time it just sits in the garage. BTW, what is wrong with the center caps? I did not know that they were not original.
Old 06-05-2001, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
They're original, but the paint's faded.

The more I look at that car... Very pretty color, and nice car!
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
My page over1g@hotmail.com
Porsche owners Gallery.../My 944
Old 06-05-2001, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Cool thanks for that tip. I didin't even know they were supposed to be painted. I'll order a new set up. I always wanted them to look like the hood crest anyway.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Talking

CONCOURSE THE CAR!!! There are several categories in concourse, wash and shine, street, unrestored, and full. Unrestored requires 75 percent of the interior and 75 percent of the exterior to be original, and you need a Kardex. Wash and shine judges the interior and exterior, not the engine. Street judges everything but the under carrage. Full judges everything. Street, Wah and shine, and full do not require it to be original or perfect. So give it a shot, it'll be a lot of fun and your car will be the cleanest it has been in years!

------------------
Joshua Harrison
1968 912 Coupe
Old 06-06-2001, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Enter it! If anyone laughs, well that's their loss. Mine's not even close to being in that good of shape, but I still love her!

It's nicer to have your average Porsche fan to say nice car, than it is to have a "Porsche Snob" even look twice at it.
Old 06-07-2001, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Banned

Scott, now it's time to share... Did you go to the "concours" show and did you participate with your car?

Old 07-03-2001, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: