Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question my horn blows - or not...

has anyone had problems with intermittent horn problems?

Problem: horn blows (usually twice) then will not blow for a while (sometimes 10-15 seconds, sometimes longer). Sometimes the horn blows but cuts in and out (kind of a beep-a-beep-a-beep-a-beep- and so on). Sometimes the horn blows for 1-2 seconds and then the sound tails off at a higher frequency.

I replaced the horn button.

I inspected the horn relay. It looks good, fuse is ok. Cleaned fuse contacts.

Can't find the damn horns...

I was curious if anyone has had this behavior and fixed it before I take it to a tech. It always seems like a liscense to steal when you ask a tech to trace electrical gremlins...

Old 10-22-2003, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I've noticed that car horns tend to be on the front of the car somewhere. Like maybe the drivers side.

You have to pull the steering wheel and clean the horn contact and contact ring.

What year and model car?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-22-2003, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Cebu
The horns should be in the cavity behind the left parking light/turn signal and forward of the left front wheel well.
94 Impala SS
Old 10-22-2003, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i had the same exact problem, look toward the front drivers side of the car, like in between the front bumper and the tire. There are two little plug thingys that connect the horn to the steering wheel i guess, push those down and make sure they are connected firmly. After i did this, my horn quit dying and sounded louder than ever.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I replaced the horn button and wires. contacts at the steering wheel are all new, which is why i suspected the relay or the horns themselves.

Another clue, the horn is most consistant when on the expressway at 60-70 mph.

btw, it's an early 85 944 na.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My interm. horn problem, I just figured out, is from a steering column that has "play" in it. It moves up and down about .5cm, just enough to take the connector ring off the track, thus no horn. I lift the wheel up, horn.

Maybe , maybe not.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by TCMdocs944
My interm. horn problem, I just figured out, is from a steering column that has "play" in it. It moves up and down about .5cm, just enough to take the connector ring off the track, thus no horn. I lift the wheel up, horn.

Maybe , maybe not.
That is possible. Our 83's have a lot of wear on them. Now I have to go out and check mine! Add it to the project list.

I've seen aftermarket steering wheel adaptors that don't quite line up with the contact ring on the steering column. The wiper either jumps off or wears in half.

New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-23-2003, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: