Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

951 MAF questions

WOW what a confusing decision. Looking at numerous MAF kits has left me very confused and, well, confused. I know from looking at the voltage range chart for the stock 951 AFM that it works off the same 0-5 volt signal as a Ford or Pro-flow MAF. Some kits come with chips some without, some come with a tuning module some without. So I guess my question is: why couldn't you build your own j-pipe with a 5 volt MAF and use an APEXI AFC to fine tune it? Then run chips of your choice and boost controller. The APEXI is very user friendly, some of the tuning modules that come with these MAF kits look far from user friendly. Just a thought......

And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 10-22-2003, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

looking at the lindsey or guru tuning modules can be a little scary at first glance since they're digital, the sfr and h.r systems are just simple knobs on the arc-II controller. Either way "fine" tuning is only done on the dyno. If the price of the kits is also pointing you to the apex unit, just grab a used system.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
hehehehe the car is not even cooled of from driving home when you bought it and you are already going down that 'upgrade' path.............

If I were you save your pennies and buy a complete kit. You could mix and match components but do you really want to dump money into an experiment?

The trick is to find a chipset that is matched to your setup (MAF/LargerTurbo/Larger Injectors).... then you could fine tune using a variety of aftermarket devices... ex. ARC2, SMT6 PB etc.

I ended up going with Vitesses Stage 2 and I am happy camper. I just wanted an out of the box solution. You can slap quite a variety of combinations together but I really did not want to be experimenting.....

Decide what you want in the end and work backwards to figure out what will get you there..........

Have fun Wolf!

P.S Search the Rennlist turbo archives.... Great information and then make up your mind.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 10-22-2003, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

as a note: the lindsey system is the least expensive and probably the most bang for your buck with digital adjustments and a temp sensor. Early maf systems that utilized the arc-II didn't use a temp sensor, so cold start issues were dealt with adjusting the idle setting. I think they may have started including them. You can easily upgrade an early kit by robbing the temp sensor out of your afm. As '69 said, check out the rennlist boards.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well, I guess my problem is: I have a habit of looking at "kits" and breaking the cost down in my mind per component. A $1700.00 kit= Maf sensor $150.00, AFC $500.00, chips $300.00, K&N $50.00, misc hoses and wiring $100.00. so that lil hunk of pipe to connect it all together is $600.00!!!!!!!

Alex: How is that Vittesse controller to work with? Were you able to get a stable idle and such? I see why you were stressed while in this stage!!!!! what a puzzle...

Highboost: I actually like the way the Apexi unit works, simple, effective, and very friendly. with a screen and graphable O2 monitor. I guess I will keep thinking about, I don't need one until
spring anyways.

Thanks guys!!....

And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 10-23-2003, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: