Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to RichMason
951 drivetrain backlash - possible causes

I did a search of the archives and it looks like there a several possibilities. Clutch (can you get alot of backlash with the spring center clutches?), transmission mounts, cv joints, other bushings in the suspension. I have a good amount of accelerator-induced backlash plus vibration in the driveline under full-throttle. The clutch is not new, but has been replaced fairly recently and does not slip. I have some pops and clunks in the front of the car as it rocks back and forth but not near the driveline. Can someone be more specific about how I would narrow this down?

Much thanks,

87 951 for sale $5500
Old 10-24-2003, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
This is like an epideminc on the 87's. First myself, then Ronin and now you. This damn popping clinking thing is horrible, I have been to three different professional P-car mechanics now that have not solved it.

Anyway, on your backlash issue, it should not be the clutch, since as you stated thats spring centered. The CV's are probably shot if they are original. You should also check the trans mount for excessive play.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-24-2003, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to RichMason
I bought my car a few months ago and the popping was diagnosed by Eurowerks in Charlotte for the PO as a broken sway bar link on the right side. I had my mechanic look at it and he wasn't so sure. In any case, I'm going to just start replacing links and bushings in the front until it goes away. As for the backlash, I'll check the c.v bolts this weekend. Is there anyway to eliminate the c.v.s as the source of the backlash problem without replacing them?

As soon as I can search the archives again (search is currently disabled), I'm going to post on my leaking heater core...looks like a frickin nightmare to fix.

87 951 for sale $5500

Last edited by RichMason; 10-24-2003 at 12:49 PM..
Old 10-24-2003, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: