Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

sinister radio

is it possible that my crappy aftermarket radio was wired up by some hillbilly and its draining the battery? i have kept the radio off for the past 2 weeks and the car has started no problem, then last night i had the radio on and BAM this morning it needs a jump. coincidnece?

Old 10-25-2003, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Mmm. Your battery would have had to have been pretty low for the radio to have robbed all its juice - was the car running or just sitting there like a giant jukebox?

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 10-25-2003, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

you said you left the radio on. is the radio wired to be independent of the key switch? if it is, then yes the radio could have drained the battery overnight if it was left on, but I think you would have heard it

if that's the case, it has nothing to do with bad wiring
Old 10-25-2003, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It's highly possible

that he wired the power directly to the battery.
Have you not had this car long?
Also if you have any amps, check those.
My friend had the same prob, because someone installed the amp wrong.

Good Luck
Old 10-25-2003, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

no the radio wasnt on during the night, well im as sure as i can be after a baker's dozen of drinks. and it was only on with the car running.
ive had the car less than a year but the no start problem only appeared about 2-3 months ago. new starter, new battery, new ground strap, cleaned grounds, alternator checks out fine, im kind of stumped on this one. think ill take the POS sony out of there and introduce it to my foot.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Electric antenna. May still be motoring after it hits it's stop.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-26-2003, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

hmm did any of these come with manual antennas? where would the antenna switch be?
Old 10-26-2003, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

lol, I can just see that, a handcrank antenna
Old 10-26-2003, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
There is a power wire and a switch wire that comes off of an electric antenna. The Power wire conncets to the fuse block. The switch wire is the one that goes to the radio.

Follow the wires out of the side of the car to their respective locations/attachments. Pull the wire to the fuse panel.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

don't most power antennas have a timer circuit that stops after a predetermined amount of time
Old 10-26-2003, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

where do we adjust the power antenna from? ive just been physically pulling it in and out.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

can't find it in the manual. SOCAL!!
Old 10-26-2003, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPants
where do we adjust the power antenna from? ive just been physically pulling it in and out.
Is it a power antenna or just a manual antenna? When the stock power antenna on mine died I couldn't move it anywhere.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

once again, manual antenna?? wiith a handcrank?
Old 10-26-2003, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

i went out to look at it tonight. couldnt find the wires before it got dark, but there is a plastic cord attached to the bottom inside of the antenna. there is also a measuring tape sized metal box under the drivers side wheel well (next to the carcoal cansiter i beleive) that is a real pain to get at. is that the motor, or something else?
Old 10-26-2003, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Need to look at the inside of the fender well up and behind the fuse/relay box. You may have to pull the carpet out a little. There would be some wires coming through as well as the larger antenna lead.

Other power drains: Gove box light. Fan temp switch or relay. Power amp for radio. Leaving the key in the ignition as this closes the radio circuit.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

the plastic cord is what's used to extend/retract the antenna. yep, the reason why it's a biatch to get at is because you need to remove the wheel and emissions can to get at it. once you do that, you can loosen the ring on top and pull the whole assy out at the bottom

Old 10-26-2003, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: