Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

exhaust manifold problem

Members:

This is my first post, but I need your valuable input and fast...

I just found out that one of the studs for the exhaust manifold broke and part of it is still stuck in there. If you standing infront of the motor, it is the first cylinder and the second one away from you.

The question is basically can you remove the broken stud WITHOUT having to remove the entire manifold. Its tight, but may be enuf room to drill a hole and then tap out broken piece?

In a worst case scenario, if I have to take out the manifold, has anyone installed a msds header? They claim 14 hp increase.

FYI: My car is a 87 924s with a complete 924 carrera gt body conversion, with a number of performance upgrades.

Thanks.

Old 10-25-2003, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

If there is enough sticking out for vise grips or enough room to tig a nut on the piece, try that.

drew1
Old 10-26-2003, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

drew1:

i wish it were that easy.

the part that is broken is not visible and is contained inside the head.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Well if you have a right angle drill, maybe you can spot a center on the broke off stud by drilling through the manifold with an 8mm (think this is stud size) or 5/16 bit. Then a small bit to drill through the stud, then an easy out.

drew1
Old 10-26-2003, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

i believe that would be the strategy, but a normal right angle drill seems to be too bulky to get adequate access to the hole.

i don't know but the space seems to be enuf to tease you but perhaps not enuf to actually get the job done.

i was hoping if someone has done the job or is really knowledgeable about it so i can make a intelligent decision as to which direction i should go.

thanks.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
You need a right angle drill..... (compressor style) small enough to get in there and a good strong drill bit..... and go slow.

Forget about the msds header (read = no big gains)...... Porsche did well with the exhaust that you have (except for the fact they like to crack). You can pick up a used header for ~$50.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 10-26-2003, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

thanks alex.

i've seen a rt. angle drill, its pretty big and won't work in the space. the style you describe, air compressor, is it much smaller.

i wish i knew a good mechanic in the ny nj area that could do this job. my shop is telling me that you can't without dropping the manifold and you know what that means $$$$. plus, what is really getting me is that i think they caused the stud to break in the first place, but i can;t prove it.

that sucks, i thought the light at the end of the rainbow was that if i have to drop manifold, then at least i could have a msds header installed and get something out of this whole mess!
Old 10-26-2003, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
It is smaller.............(depending which one you find).

Pulling the header is actually not that hard (as long as you dont break any more studs). PUll the exhaust and pull the header and you will have more room. You may need to pull it if you have to tap the hole out anyways...
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 10-26-2003, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Alex:

Is that a sure thing, the msds header doesn't really produce any power gains over stock. How about bursch or anything else?

My experience with bursch test pipe though is that the quality is poor.

Right now, maybe I won't get much gain anyway bc I have stock manifold with st. pipes with stk muffler. The exhaust note really sounds good. That is before the broken stud!!!

Old 10-26-2003, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: