Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

No power at fuse

Hey guys,

I'm not the best when it comes to electrical problems on cars, so I need some assistance on this one.

Last weekend while I was at the Sharktoberfest in Fullerton, CA my wife called to say she drove the Project 944 home for the weekend. Saturday morning she said the car wouldn't start, and pulled out the voltmeter and the battery read 7.34.

Upon returning from the show I replaced the ground cable, and the battery which was both in bad shape. Car started right up!

I drove the 944 home Friday night from the magazine office (5 miles) and parked it. This morning I went to start the car and it wouldn't start. Tested the battery and again about 7.35 volts. Tryed to jump it and finally got it to run. With the motor running the battery shows 13.85 volts, so the alternator is working. Right?

The other problem since I was letting the battery charge up was I noticed my left side marker lights were not working. I checked the fuse, a bit thin but still good. Pulled the bulb panel from the rear and started switching out bulbs, my brake lights work on the left, and my turn signal work, just not my marker lights in front, side, and rear. I tested for power at the bulb, and no power. Tested the ends of the fuse, the right side has power at both ends, the left doesn't. Where should I look to see why I don't have power at the top of the fuse for the left side?

I know a bit wordy today, its Sunday...nothing better to do.

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
http://www.9magazine.com

Old 10-26-2003, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Things That Drain My 944 Battery Review:

The temp switch in the radiator will stick or the relay that it controls will stick and let the cool down cycle of one of the radiator fans continue and drain the battery. The cool down is run through a wire wound ceramic base resistor inside the car under the dash.

The turn signal arm will turn on the side marker lights when the ley is off and the arm is "swtiched".

The electric antenna will drain the battery if the motor does not shut off.

A radio will drain the battery if it's been connected to the wrong power or if the ingition switch (in the early 944's) does not turn off the accessories when the key is removed (or left in the car).

Many of the fuses on the 944's have power to them when the ingition is off. The radiator fans are one. Which ones are you refering to?

Please be clear on the year and model of 944 when you post. The elctrical changed some what in the 85.5 models and later.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-26-2003, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

SoCal,

On the subject of the battery problem, I think the temp gauge item might be the culprit. I have noticed the temp needle will go all the way over to the right and stay there even after just starting the car. I will examine that Monday.

As far as the fuse problem, it concerns the left side markers, front, side, and back. The test light will turn on if I touch the bottom of the fuse #13, but not the top. Fuse #14 is the fuse for the Right side markers, and I can get both the top and bottom of that fuse to light up. Thus, the right side makers work fine.

The car is our 1983 5spd, a/c.

Thanks SoCal!

Brian Minson
9, The DIY Porsche Magazine
Old 10-26-2003, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Your temp gauge had nothing to do with the battery. It's on the other side of the ignition switch.

But on that subject: The wire at the temp sender on the engine -- just under the number one cylinder runner -- corrodes badly over time and may need to be refurbished. That is cut back until the green "rust" on the copper wire is gone and replaced with a new section. You also have to use the connector that is on this wire as it is one of those special Porsche things. Solder the wire to it. Those of us that have put post 85 engines in our early cars use the larger of the the two spades on the later gauge temp sender.

I'll have to dig out the schematics on the electical and do a bit of checking. These schematics are available here on Pelican in the 944 tech section off of the opening menus. I also have them in the factory manuals.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Also clean the grounds from the back of the engine to the chassis.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

SoCal,

Got it, will check the temp wire under the #1 Runner tomorrow morning! Also, email me directly if you know of any source for a CD-ROM with those factory books

Might have to add you to the list of Tech Guys in 9 Magazine for your help on this!

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
Old 10-26-2003, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

SoCal,

You have to remove the rubber S hose to get to the Water Temp Sender right?

Brian Minson
Old 10-26-2003, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Cebu
The light in the glove box has caused battery dran also
94 Impala SS
Old 10-26-2003, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Good one Cebu. I keep forgetting that one.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 9magazine
SoCal,

You have to remove the rubber S hose to get to the Water Temp Sender right?

Brian Minson
Doesn't hurt! Good time to check it for cracking and leaks. You will find that you will have to pull the wire up between the 2-3 runners if you have to cut it back that far.

The one in front of it with the square plug is the DME water temp sender.

If the spot in the list is for the early 944's! I have yet to get my 951.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 9magazine

As far as the fuse problem, it concerns the left side markers, front, side, and back. The test light will turn on if I touch the bottom of the fuse #13, but not the top. Fuse #14 is the fuse for the Right side markers, and I can get both the top and bottom of that fuse to light up. Thus, the right side makers work fine.

Brian Minson

I needed to take a look at the schematics and at my fuse block in the car.

The open buss fuses in the early 944 (thanks VW) are not to be trusted. Take the fuse out and check it. Look at the contacts on the fuse rack and bend them inward as necessary. Clean them with a pencil erasure. I actually have an old electric drafting erasure and some inserts that are a bit more abrasive than a #2 pencil.

Somewhere I've seen a blade fuse rack that could replace the older VW type fuses.

Old 10-26-2003, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: