Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Timing or Fuel Injection?

I thought I had a fuel injection issue at first but now I am not sure.

The car was running lean. I did a CIS pressure test and the WUR was out of spec. I relpaced the WUR and the fuel filter and the car did run a little better but the problem was not solved.

One of the most irratating symptoms is a stunble durring acceleration, and a poping from the exhaust.

I got a chance to tune the car today and playing with the timing made the bigest difference. I am not sure if I was advancing or retarding the timing. But turning the distributor counter clockwise about 15 to 20 degrees eliminated the problem. I settled for 10 degrees and the car runs ok but not great. After a drive the car began to run hot and power went away. The temp guage was on the edge of the red zone. I will run an injector, and compression test next weekend.

Does anyone think this could be a valve isse? Possibly a valve timing issue? I had the timing belt changed at the shop about 8K ago so it should be ok, but could the belt have skiped a tooth? What about the loos of power while hot? Does anyone think it could be a head gasket issue?

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Had you retensioned the timing belt? if not,could be the problem.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Line up the marks and check it. You may not be getting a proper advance on the dist. Still uses the vacuum right?

Seem to recal when I was driving a 924 (not a turbo) that the older performance VW dist. guts would fit in the 924. Guts = swash plate and counter weights for a better advancement curve.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-27-2003, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Manute:
IIRC the early 924's do not require retensioning the timing belt. However I am leaning towards a timing belt issue.

SoCal
Yes its vacuum advance. The distributor advance is somthing I had not thought of. I have a spare distributor and I will test it out.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Hall
Manute:
IIRC the early 924's do not require retensioning the timing belt. However I am leaning towards a timing belt issue.
Uhmmm...interesting....

Before entering Pelican i tought i have a little idea about cars....

Old 10-28-2003, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If your belt skipped a tooth, the Ign Timing would also be off. A skipped tooth could be a posibility.

drew1

wife has 924 turbo
Old 10-28-2003, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: