Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to shocker1322
968 engine in a 924S??

Will a 968 engine fit in and bolt up to the bell housing of a late 1987 924S? If not, a late model 2.7L 944 engine should correct? Also are these engines extremely hard to find, and where is a good place to look about getting engines? I am new to Porsches so help me out like I know nothing. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2003, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yes you are new to the 944 line.

Here are the rules:

If you wanted a turbo sell your 924S and buy a 951 (turbo)

If you wanted a 968 sell your 924S and buy a 968.

Other wise do the necessary maintenance on your 924S, timing belts, shocks, front suspension, anything but some whacked out Ricey crap and just enjoy the ride.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-26-2003, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

To answer your question, yes, I think it'll physically bolt up. But to do that swap you're going to need a lot more than just an engine. You'll need the computer, exhaust, entire intake system and a whole host of other mi$cellaneou$ part$. Lots of work, lots of money spent that you won't get back when it's time to sell, and you'll still get beat - badly - by a 951 with a few easy mods.

That's why the guys on these forums will mostly tell you to sell your N/A and get a Turbo if you want to go fast. You'll never build an N/A that'll outperform a 951 for anywhere near price of a good used 951.

Now if you had, say, an S or S2 with a blown engine and you could find a 968 engine for cheap, that might be worth doing - they share a lot more underhood parts with the 968 than your car does.

I think a 2.7 swap would be easier in your car but it's still a lot of work, and you still wouldn't have a fast car when you're done. They're also very hard to find, as is the 968 engine.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

no kidding! erie pa. i lived in erie (fairview technically) for the first 18 years of my life.
welcome to the board
Old 10-27-2003, 12:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I am not really worried about how much work it will take, I have all winter to do it. I just put in a new clutch, and THAT was work. (disassemble car, insert clutch, reassemble car)

I just had the car out to Mid-Ohio and lost the timing belt on the back straight. One of the Porsche techs out there said I had some bent valves and possibly dinged pistons. I will not have the heads off until next weekend, but if I do have to do an engine overhaul, I am looking for a new engine instead. I was told by a guy with a 944S that the 968's were the best engines to put in, so I wanted to look into it. Thanks for your help.
28mm Sway-Away Torsion Bars
275 lb/in hypercoils, adjustable Koni's
Old 10-27-2003, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

yes it can be done.
I know of some one on the west coast who did it.
You will need a 944S2 clutch and flywheel along with some other components.

I can hook you up with the guy if you send me an e-mail. Then you can see what he needed to get to complete the job. He has go a hell of a sleeper now! 236hp and tons of torque in a small lite package.

Let me know

Eric
Eturbo924@yahoo.com

He got the engine from my connections.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Your gonna spend all winter doing it if you do try it.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I agree with the first response.

Porsches aren't like many other cars. They are not easily hot rodded, because they COME hot rodded from the manufacturer. They are also not as "interchangable" as many other cars. In other words, Porsche made changes, some very small but important, at any time during the production runs in order to keep their edge and they had (and have) a fenatical engineering philosophy. On one occasion I recall hearing about a stroked crankshaft, different pistons, wider throttle body, tweaks in the injection management system, and all it did was provide one more horsepower but it enhanced drivability (this was on a 911 series car), so that gives you an idea of why you don't really want to be swapping motors and parts from car to car.

The 968 is exceptionally complex, it uses a specific computer system to manage the injection, and it also has the vario cam controls that must be controlled. Therefore if you do swap the engine, they you also have to wire and swap the entire support infrastructure too. With the additional power, then what about the clutch, transaxle, ohh the brakes, shocks,etc. Like the guy said, if you want a turbo, buy a turbo. If you want a 968, buy a 968. In the end, whatever you get, be happy with it because every single car from the lowest power 944 to the top have all received RAVE REVIEWS from the automotive press along the way. These are not stoplight racers, they are (all) balance machines, and they're ideally suited for carving up the countryside. Great cars.

I have a 1984 944, amoung others, and I love that car. It doesn't have the power of the newer models, but it still goes like a scalded rabbit, and it's one heck of a driver.

regards, P
Nashville
Old 10-27-2003, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

As someone who has done the swap, let me tell you it is quite straight forward, it was much easier than the 3.6 engine into my SC which itself was fairly easy. It is a little more complicated into a pre 851/2 car or 924S due to the integration with the earlier dash and chasis harness.

We did the swap in one weekend, most important thing is to get all the parts with the donor engine (engine, headers, dme and harness, throttle linkage and cable and oil cooler) you can use the 944 bellhousing with the 944S flywheel and sport clutch to handle the power and not have to swap the tranny and torque tube.

Todd
Old 10-27-2003, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jetmax Send a message via Yahoo to jetmax
Don't do it!
Besides the engine you will also want to upgrade the suspension and most of all the brakes.
But if you are dead set on putting a new engine in that thing then put a turbo engine in it. I am an S2 cab owner and find very few affordable aftermarket engine parts for my car and the 968 engine is no exception. If you are savy enough to swap an engine for more HP, then you'll want the Turbo engine that has a wide variety of affordable engine upgrade parts. Not to mention the savings you will get when buying used performance parts for the Turbo. Ever seen used S2 or 968 performance parts for sale? Didn't think so. And last but not least don't forget about that damn cam tensioner design the DOHC have. I just replaced mine at 187k, but the possibility of it failing is always in the back of my head.

My opinion is the 924 should be scrapped and get a 944 Turbo since the Turbo cars are so cheak these days. The only engine swap I am in favor of is a Cab (S2 or 968) with a Turbo, Turbo S, or 968 Turbo (single cam version $$$) motor.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

If you want an engine with more power, checking out the Renegade Hybrids option would not be unwise. SBC power in your very capable chassis would be very potent.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I do not want to put a Turbo on the car, I am used to and like the feel of a high compression NA engine. I am going to do all the obvious stuff to the car soon, brakes, anti-sway bars, bushings, coil-overs. I love to tinker with all types of cars, and modding the car is much more appealing than buying a prefabed one. Again, I am not sure if I need a new engine, but if it comes down to rebuilding the 924S engine or getting a new one, I am definitely getting something better. I was really disappointed with the torque on the 2.5L. I was told, though it was my first instinct, that the 944S engine is not the way to go.

Does anyone know any really good resources for buying parts, mainly engines? And does Porsche sell crated 968/944S2 engines? Thanks a lot.
28mm Sway-Away Torsion Bars
275 lb/in hypercoils, adjustable Koni's

Last edited by shocker1322; 10-27-2003 at 05:27 PM..
Old 10-27-2003, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

also, if youre swapping motors anyways:
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/944.htm
Old 10-27-2003, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

In my opinion it's probably cheaper and easier to put a turbo in than it is to put in an Lt1
Old 10-28-2003, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Well I guess if you have a little over $6,000 you can do it.

Here:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95724
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-28-2003, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Give me 1000 of the 6k and I'll beat some sense into you. Then take the remaing 5k and "mod" your own fire breathing 400HP 951.

I don't care how much cash you dump into an NA engine, you can always get a better bang for your buck "modding" a 951.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-28-2003, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Actually he said $6k not including the motor so looks like he spent $10k!

I think he got took, but then again he paid someone to do the work. Our cost when I did the conversion was approx $6k including the cost of the motor and the car (87 944S with hole in the pan)

Todd
Old 10-28-2003, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I still would think you could get a nice starting platform 951 for 6k, another 4k of mods and work would give you some amazing power.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-28-2003, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Scott

I'm sure you are right, even with the 968 engine it can't hold a candle to the Callaway, but it is quite nice to have the torque available down low for around town driving.
I did the conversion for a friend who bought the car on a whim. It was set up with many mods as a track car and the guy spun #2 bearing at the track and that was it. The rod whet through the pan and block.
So he had the car and it was really no more money to stick a nice 968 engine in it than put back a 944S motor.

Todd
Old 10-28-2003, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Your best N/A bump for the dollar,

Stage I Kit:

Mild street Cam
Hi Flow Cat & Cat Back Exhaust (3")
CAI cone filter
Chips (not potatoes) ==> Smogable & Streetable 170 Wheel HP.
(American Stock Wheel HP aproximately 130)

This is a great weekend project for a total investment slightly over $1,000!

This does not over burden the transmission, and does not get you into trouble for stopping power, though an upgrade in pads and lines would always be appreciated!

98 C-4 Sons
86 Gold 944 Auto - Sons
84 Maroon 944 Auto - salvaged
78 Yellow 924 - found a new home
Old 10-28-2003, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: