Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to ds475
CV Boots

For what VW car and year do the CV boots work on my 85.0 944?

On the passenger side, my CV boots have started to separate with big cracks. time to replace. glad i've been poking my nose around.

BTW what synthetic tranny fluid do ya'll recommend? how much does the tranny take?

Old 10-26-2003, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Mobil 1 about 3 quarts

Don't think it is a VW part number on the CV boot

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 10-26-2003, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat
Mobil 1 about 3 quarts

I have a gallon of Swepco for mine, should I get Mobil 1 instead?
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 10-26-2003, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That Swepco is excellent stuff, I'd choose it over Mobil 1 for our trannies any day.

Sam
Old 10-27-2003, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

how many quarts in a gallon...?
i think i'll get that swepco stuff, if it's the best.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

http://www.drivewerks.com/cgi-bin/ppexpress/ppe_drivewerks.cgi?command=show_part_page&YEAR=1985&MAKE=VW&MODEL=GOL-GTI-001&Category=K&esc_part=C.V.+Boot+Kit

would these work? they look the porsche ones...
Old 10-27-2003, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
When the boots are cracked it's a good bet that the CV joints are shot.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 10-27-2003 at 10:54 PM..
Old 10-27-2003, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm with SoCal, if the boots are bad its just a matter of time for the CV joints.
I just ordered a rebuild from NAPA for $68 after exchange. No need messing around with anything for that price.
Good luck.

My kids say my hair matches the color of the car! Who's getting old?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by ds475
how many quarts in a gallon...?
hmmm, quart, quart-er, 1/4, one fourth...

four
Old 10-27-2003, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

good one!

let's see, pint, pint-er, pinctus (from latin root pingere for "to paint") pincta (mark on a container) pinky, punk, poobah...

nope
Old 10-27-2003, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

I was gonna say that but decided maybe I'd better not go there. unless of course we can say that a Pinto always explodes into eight pieces

Old 10-27-2003, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

and anything else within reach. and to think, I used to own two of 'em
Old 10-27-2003, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

oooooh christ.

how do bad CV joints act? are there any tell-tale signs, and what happens when they finally "go"?
Old 10-27-2003, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

rhythmic clunking sound. usually first heard as a ticking sound during a turn (lateral load) for example. it usually takes a while before they fail completely, but they can go as far as breaking the cages and literally breaking apart. at that point its usually a good idea to stop as the shafts have a tendency to get a mind of their own
Old 10-27-2003, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

btw ds, nice way to pull the thread back on topic
Old 10-27-2003, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

i've never heard any "rhythmic clunking" coming from back there... but, i could test by listening for ticking sounds in turns? (what are "the cages"?) so if i don't replace, and then the CV's break... they could in turn cause an even MORE costly repair?

hmm... decisions, decisions... protect my pocket book, or protect my car... i love my car so much. but i have so little money, and i love it too! ahhh, the joys material things bring to life... (i'm not being sarcastic, my car makes me very happy... sometimes)
Old 10-27-2003, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

yes, if the CV joint lets go and decides to completely disintegrate while you're cruising down the freeway it could cause a bit of damage back there as the whole mess starts flopping around. that's pretty rare though

what I called a cage is actually referred to as a race. the CV assembly consists of an inner and outer race containing the ball bearings that make the whole mess work. I have never had one break on my '51 but I did have a total CV failure on the front of my 4x4 Jimmy once. you can usually tell when it gets close to total failure when the wheel on that axle suddenly starts to get jerked around a bit. on the front of the car, you'll notice it by the steering getting occasionally yanked towards the side of the car with the bad CV joint, and in the rear it'll feel like that wheel is trying to brake independently. the Porsche CV assy does appear much more solid than the GMC one though so I think you'll have plenty of warning before anything drastic happens. but now that I think of it, I believe Ahmet had a CV come apart on his car once before. Ahmet, was that you?
Old 10-27-2003, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

on my way to work today, i really payed attention during cornering, i did not hear/feel anything... maybe they're still pretty good.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

could be, still need to do a visual inspection and replace the boots. only thing is, I don't think you can replace the boots without taking the joint apart to a good degree so...

looks like a good time to do the axles anyway
Old 10-28-2003, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to afx
Quote:
Originally posted by ronin
could be, still need to do a visual inspection and replace the boots. only thing is, I don't think you can replace the boots without taking the joint apart to a good degree so...
Yup Yup. The CV joint itself needs to come off the axle to remove/install the boot. If they are not popping yet, you can just regrease them if they dont look too torn up.

Http://members.rennlist.com/afx
Old 10-28-2003, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: