Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian J
Porsche Crest water wetter

Has anyone used this stuff?

WaterWetter with Rust & Corrosion Inhibitor is a unique wetting agent for cooling systems which reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 30F. This liquid product can be used to provide rust and corrosion protection in plain water for racing engines, which provides much better heat transfer properties than glycol-based antifreeze. Or it can be added to new or used antifreeze to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems. Designed for modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass, and bronze systems.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Brian_J
Old 10-30-2003, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ds475
i've seen/heard about it, i'm gonna get some when i do my coolant flush
Old 10-30-2003, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It works as advertised. Good product.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 10-30-2003, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ds475
how much is that stuff? (from pelican?)
Old 10-30-2003, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I always use when it when I flush and refill the cooling system as sort of an insurance policy. It is pretty tried and true technology. It alters surface tension, so you get better contact with the coolant; this way it makes the cooling fluid more efficient in transferring heat.
98 C-4 Sons
86 Gold 944 Auto - Sons
84 Maroon 944 Auto - salvaged
78 Yellow 924 - found a new home
Old 10-30-2003, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Water Wetter is nothing like antifreeze, it has NO lubricating qualities, and it does not have stop leak properties, have anticorrosive properties, or prevent freezing. One colored water is not the same as another.

Run your engine without water pump lubricant and find out the hard way how dificult a water pump replacement really is!
98 C-4 Sons
86 Gold 944 Auto - Sons
Old 10-30-2003, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fty
Used it a few years back when my car was over heating due to a loose timing belt on the water pump roller...worked great and got me home in one piece..lowered temp by atleast 15 degrees-chris
Old 10-30-2003, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Please don't get defensive, there is a difference in the setup you use for racing, where absolute performance matters. Antifreeze is not as good a heat transfer agent as water, no question. Water and Water Wetter is an even better heat transfer agent. In a race where heat is the enemy..it is the right thing to do.
If you care for your car as most of us do, the stock cooling system with a little kick from adding Water Wetter to our Required mixture of 50% antifreeze and water works just fine. I would recommend draining your fluid and going with the water and surfactant for weekend racing, but for weekenders, or daily drivers, there is a reason that Porsche demanded 50% antifreeze for warranty.
98 C-4 Sons
86 Gold 944 Auto - Sons
Old 10-30-2003, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ds475
how much is that stuff? (from pelican?)

$7.95 per bottle

Old 10-31-2003, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Kirby2

I plan on running my daily driver on a 50/50 solution of water and anti-freeze. What I was looking for was an additive to help the cooling system be more efficient. But before adding "miracle" products I just need to know if it;
1. works
2. does any damage
3. worth my $$

Old 10-31-2003, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

1. Yes
2. NO
3. Depends on how hot your ride runs when you compete.
4. This product has been available for years and as our friend that erased his posts mentioned , it has been a staple for racers that push the limits of their cooling systems.

I just wanted to try to steer the uninformed away from thinking it was a high tech replacement for antifreeze.
98 C-4 Sons
86 Gold 944 Auto - Sons
Old 10-31-2003, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Works great.

Lowered my temps at least 3/4 of a tick mark on the temp gage. Just enough to go from kind-of nervous, to perfectly fine.

I use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze, and water, and throw in a bottle of water wetter. (I guess that works out to something like 47%, 47%, 6%, but what's a few % between friends?)

Mike
Old 10-31-2003, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by mike944
Works great.

Lowered my temps at least 3/4 of a tick mark on the temp gage. Just enough to go from kind-of nervous, to perfectly fine.

I use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze, and water, and throw in a bottle of water wetter. (I guess that works out to something like 47%, 47%, 6%, but what's a few % between friends?)

Mike
Do you run your car every day?

Old 10-31-2003, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

No, I usually do not drive my car every day, although i have been putting quite a few miles on this week, since my primairy car died. I usually drive it on nice days, no rain, not too cold, not too hot out, because it used to run a little hot (almost 3/4 on the gauge) i was nervous about driving it when it was hot out. Now....after the water wetter, no problem regardless of temperature.

Mike
Old 10-31-2003, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
I can't see any reason you would use it unless you are experiencing over heating issues. I wouldn't want to mask problems that may be present in the cooling system.

If your car is running too hot you have to find out why.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 10-31-2003, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I've used it and I think it works.

P
Old 10-31-2003, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by mike944
No, I usually do not drive my car every day, although i have been putting quite a few miles on this week, since my primairy car died. I usually drive it on nice days, no rain, not too cold, not too hot out, because it used to run a little hot (almost 3/4 on the gauge) i was nervous about driving it when it was hot out. Now....after the water wetter, no problem regardless of temperature.

Mike
I'm like Jimmy Buffet..

Tuesday,
Thursday,
Saturday.

The rest of the time my trusty GMC truck.

Old 10-31-2003, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ae1969
I can't see any reason you would use it unless you are experiencing over heating issues. I wouldn't want to mask problems that may be present in the cooling system.

The car was running near the danger zone when less than 50mph. Had my mechanic check it out and he found someone installed the incorrect thermostat. Now at low speed the temp gauge is straight up 12 o'clock. At 50+ it will creep to the next mark but never go above that mark. Before, it would just keep on going to near the DANGER zone.

I was looking at some product to lower or stabilze the temps.

Old 10-31-2003, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Think seriously about installing a new radiator soon (only about $200). Small passages crud up with time, nothing you can do about it. A new radiator will keep the peg near the first notch, and you will sleep better at night.
98 C-4 Sons
86 Gold 944 Auto - Sons
Old 10-31-2003, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ae1969

I agree 100% but if the system is working properly, a little insurance is welcomed. It is tried and trued and helps to lube the water pump and in my book any thing that will help the water pump stay reliable between timing maintence intervals (belts, water pump, rollers) is going in my car.

BTW for the guys in Canada, Redline Water Wetter is available through Canadian Tire stores. At this time the only CT store that I know of that has it on the shelf is the new CT store in Markham (Markham/14th Ave). You can order any of the Redline products that can be used in the 944 throught a special Parts and Accesssories catalog.

Mark
'86 944NA

Last edited by mlue; 11-01-2003 at 08:11 PM..
Old 11-01-2003, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: