Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

Cool Removal of lower air-pan

I am thinking or removing the lower air-pan from my 86na car. I have several long trips scheduled and it gets hot here, I was thinking that I may get a better cooling airflow with it removed. The shop I take the car to says that I will have no problems other than more dust in the engine compartment. Has anyone removed theirs or had any problem's.

Old 05-25-2001, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Do 83's have them?

------------------
Drive it like you stole it........Justin
Old 05-25-2001, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
newb.

I believe it actually cools BETTER with it on, at speed...
Old 05-25-2001, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

"redNeckarsulm". This car spends a lot of time "at speed" This weekend, I will take the pan off and see what it does.

I was sharing my idea with a few engineer's here at work and her is what came up.

With the pan off, I will not have as much air pulling thru the radiator because of pressure turbulence catching in the engine compartment.

With the pan in place, the airflow under the car continues back vs catching on the lower crossmember and shifting around and up. The pan creates a small low pressure area above it and helps to draw air thru and from the radiator area.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
newb.

hence better cooling with it on.
Old 05-25-2001, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Ran the car yesterday without the air-pan in place.

210 miles in 2.5hrs

no temp difference...
much more dust and grit in engine compartment that I exected...
did my best to lower the local insect population...

today, ran car in town, stop and go with ac running, both fans running, temp gauge up a bit more than expected

big 210 run on monday with pan in place
Old 05-28-2001, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
The air pan lets more air be pushed through the radiator, as you suggest p0r2chby.

However I'd like to point out two things.

First, with the pan off, the timing belt cover is somewhat exposed. Is that a big deal, probably not, but how do you think you'd feel if a rock broke the cover, and got caught between a pulley, and the belt (it happens)?

But also, after trying the pan on/off back to back, at high(-er) speeds, there's a hell of a lot more understeer when the pan is off(front end lift) vs. with the pan on.

PS: All the louvers (vents) on the underpan provide a controlled exit path for the air going through the radiator, but the last one on the passanger side directs air towards the engine mount. With the pan off, your exaust side motor mount's likely to heat up a good bit more. +The motor mounts will get better air circulation, with less turbulance, and their heat shield(or shields depending on what type of 44 you have) would work better.

Just a few things to consider
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
Old 05-28-2001, 12:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Exclamation

Man, I have been looking for a pan for my '86NA for 3 years. My engine is always dirty, no matter how often I clean it. It seems that a lot of people these pans off and lose them. If anyone has one for an '85.5+ to sell, let me know. All the one's I see on Ebay are for the early models.
Old 07-12-2001, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

Hey kranken..., try "Parts Heaven".

Last time I checked, they had a bunch of them sitting on a shelf.

www.partsheaven.com
Old 07-13-2001, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have had mine off for a while now (a few months). My cars runs under 1/4 on the highway (160 T-stat). I don't recall seeing dirt or bugs on my engine either. I have it off primarily to change the oil and get to the underside of the car when I want to. The car seems fine without it. Its just one more thing to rattle or break IMO.

Erick
Old 07-13-2001, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
i wouldn't remove mine for the two reasons ahmet mentions...better aerodynamics & more downforce.

don't know if it would cool any better, but it's moot as i've never overheated or gone into the red. i think in this case porsche knew what they were doing.

Old 07-13-2001, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: