Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

P9201 vs Optibelt comparison

FLA944 and I met up today to compare the P9201 (belt tensioning tool) vs. the Optibelt tool (blazak version)

I would tension and measure the belts with the P9201 and then FLA944 would measure the belt with the Optibelt tool repeatedly to ensure consistant results

Specifics:

1985.5 NA during 1000 mile retension (my car) Timing set at TDC #1 then rolled back 1.5 teeth at the camshaft sprocket per factory workshop manual.

P9201 calibrated before measurement using P9201\2 calibration bar to 4.0 Scale Units (SU)

Results:

Cam Belt: New belt: 4.0 SU
Used belt: 2.7 SU +/- 0.3 scale units

P9201: 3.5 SU (I like my belts a little tighter in the beginning, after 15K I go with the 2.7 SU)

Optibelt: FLA944 was able to consistantly read 40 on the optibelt tool - this is the published value for a 944 cambelt.

Balance Shaft Belt: New\Used Belt: 2.7 +/- 0.3 SU

P9201: 2.6 Scale Units FLA944 got a quick lesson in how little you need to move the tensioner to produce a WIDE difference between 1.8SU and 4.2SU

Optibelt: approximate reading of 20 he was able to consistantly get a reading just shy of the scribed line for the balance shaft belt.

Alternator Belt: 9.5SU +1 turn of tensioner (this is an unreachable tension for the AC\alternator belt)

P9201: 7.5 SU across the bottom span of the belt (between Crank and AC compressor)

Optibelt: 110 across the TOP span of the belt (between crank and alternator

Power Steering Belt: 9.5 SU + 1 turn of tensioner

P9201: 10.5 across bottom span

Optibelt: 70 across bottom span

Conclusions: It is possible to consistantly measure proper belt tension with the optibelt tool given the following conditions:

1. The user places the optibelt in the same location on the belt (center of the span)

Concerns: FLA944 had given values for the cam belt and balance shaft belt with his tool. He was able to achieve the recommended reading of 40 for the camshaft belt. This was with a belt tension of 3.5 SU on the P9201. This is a good value for a belt with between new and a belt with 15000 miles on it. After 15000 miles, the given value for the optibelt tool is too high. Further, a new belt is to be tightened to 4.0 SU. Depending on technique of the user, this may or may not produce the desired result on the optibelt tool.

The Balance shaft measurement was slightly lower than the published value. However, since there is a margin for the balance shaft belts of 0.6, that may compensate for the lower reading on the optibellt tool.

Personally, I was more impressed with the optibelt tool that I thought I would be. However, I would still feel leary about doing my belts with it, and would definately not do a customers belts with it.

We took some pictures (to include a disassembled P9201) but I left my camera in the tool box so I will have to post the pictures on Monday.

I'm sure FLA944 will chime in with his impressions as well.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information

Last edited by AFJuvat; 11-01-2003 at 07:41 PM..
Old 11-01-2003, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
So then, since there was consistancy, and I assume pictures will reveal the ideal placement of the tool on the belt (is it the same placement as the P201 in the FM?), Do you have another set of values that would be more to your liking? That is, since the values Blascek provided were too low, would you produce a table/chart of numbers that would work for us non mech layfolk? Perhaps at even shorter intervals, if we could purchase a $30 tool I, for one, would be all for checking my belts every 10k. (or what ever duration you think relevent)
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

one question. the figures you gave for the optibelt tool were in Kilos, I assume? the KR1 reads both in kilos and pounds. I'm assuming that you meant kilos because your A/C belt tension is similar to mine (if it is kilos)
Old 11-01-2003, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

did you test the kriket

"may the force be with you"
Old 11-01-2003, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

they did not specifically test the Krikit but I believe the Optibelt is the same gauge as the Krikit only with a different name. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me
Old 11-01-2003, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

I don't own either the optibelt or the jrikit, but have heard from multiple sources that they are literally the same thing, same manufacturer, just marketed under different names.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
If you have linked here from 9XAuto, please note that I do NOT support nor endorse the use of the Kricket tool which is being marketed by them. The tool use on my site is NOT the US manufactured Kricket tool, however similar it may appear.
This is off of his website.
'86 951
Old 11-02-2003, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Once again, this tool is NOT the cheap knock-off tool as marketed by some other companies, and is definitely NOT the Kricket auto gauge tool. This German Belt Tool can now be purchased from Blaszak Precision Motorsports for $49.40 US plus shipping and handling. Contact me for order information. My address, phone and fax numbers are on the home page.
And this was at the end of the same page.
'86 951
Old 11-02-2003, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
i have used the "krikit" for about 2 years now, and find its consistent enough for me. out of the box, there are no markings that coincide with the settings for the belts, but all i did was scribe lines representing balance belt, and 2 marks for new timing belt/ retension at 2k miles.
this works for me.
its your engine!, but even having the "works" gauge, you could still have a faulty belt, and being absolutely spot on will do you no good!
i look forward to seeing the pics of the p9201, as in engineering, its all too easy to copy an idea!
bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by bigyagi
i have used the "krikit" for about 2 years now, and find its consistent enough for me. out of the box, there are no markings that coincide with the settings for the belts, but all i did was scribe lines representing balance belt, and 2 marks for new timing belt/ retension at 2k miles.
this works for me.
its your engine!, but even having the "works" gauge, you could still have a faulty belt, and being absolutely spot on will do you no good!
i look forward to seeing the pics of the p9201, as in engineering, its all too easy to copy an idea!
bob.
Perhaps you could include photos of the lines that you've inscribed?
'86 951
Old 11-02-2003, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

tod, can you throw up the link for the Blaszak site? I want to see how close they are
Old 11-02-2003, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
No problemo. da link
'86 951
Old 11-02-2003, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

da thanks!
Old 11-02-2003, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

AFJuvat... Big thnx for the comparison, for the time you 2 spent doing it and reporting. I'm looking forward to the pics you took.

macreel
Old 11-05-2003, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
Even though the "optibelt" did show consistent results, as the tool wears the readings will change.

I used the optibelt only to put the engine together and to get running in my garage. I did not have $$ at the time for the 9201.

It does tension the belts as advertised and many of us are having good results. Unfortunately i do not trust it as far as i can throw it and when my project is ready to hit the road i will tension the belts again with the 9201.

The 9201 is pricey and would not recommend it's purchase if you are not serious on keeping/working on the 944. I would only use the 9201 if i were to tension someone else's belt due to liability issues.

End Of the Story: You get what you pay for!

I'm waiting for x-mas to buy myself a dig. cam so the pics will have to wait

Rick
has never left garage (yet)
Old 11-05-2003, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Todwic, I did some diggin on my own a few months back on the "Optibelt VS. Krikrt" debate.

I drove over to the manufacturer in Littleton, (whilst doing other errands) and asked them if they knew of the "Optibelt" tool that looked identicle to the Kriket. They stated that "of course they new about it." The guy at the will call desk then presented me with an Optibelt tool that he was shipping out.

I asked why he had it, he stated that they make it for Optibelt and then package it accordingnly, in fact they rebadged several versions for different OEM's.

You guys can call them, they will state the same thimg. I don't know what Marcus is smoking over there, but there is a reason the tools are physically identicle.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 11-05-2003, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Scott - interesting .... I'ld like to contact that manufacturer and maybe place an order, what is thier name (Kricket???) and is that in Littleton Co?...Bruce
Old 11-06-2003, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Good stuff Mother Juvat.......

I would like to see some pics of the inside of p9201 which would be quite interesting....... I am expecting to see a little german tucked away inside holding a big rubber band.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-06-2003, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by F18Rep
Scott - interesting .... I'ld like to contact that manufacturer and maybe place an order, what is thier name (Kricket???) and is that in Littleton Co?...Bruce
Here is their site, including phone number:

http://www.hmc-international.com/krikit.htm

1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 11-06-2003, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: