Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Second car; Jeep question!

OK, so in Sweden the Winter has arrived. That means salt on the roads=rust on a Porsche(Car cancer).
So as many in Sweden the Porsche is placed in a garage during the Winter for maintenance and rehab!;-)

So I bought me a another car for driving in the WInter.
Its a Jeep Cherokee Limited version. Built in 1991 and has a straight 6 of 4 litre. Now to my question.
The Jeep has default 2W drive. I can manually shift to
1. 4W drive "Part Time"
2. 4W drive "Full Time"
and also low gear.

One of them can be used when ever and the other is just allowed to be used during icy conditions.(Never on dry road)

Can some one who has/had such car tell me which is which?
Please only answer if you are really shore.

Thank you!

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Valley/3424/porsche
Old 11-03-2003, 12:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

full time 4 wheel drive is for muscling your way through really rough terrain (sends 25% of the power to each wheel contantly). its not for normal driving (on the new jeeps they recommend you dont exceed 30 mph or so). part time 4 wheel drive would be best for driving on regular snowy/icy roads.
thats how it is on the 1996. they are really fun to have after snow storms when the roads are covered!
Old 11-03-2003, 01:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hmmm, MRpants.
I have a German instruction book for the car and I can a little of German.
How I read the book, I think the book says it the other way.
Full Time according to the book, is ;"To be used full time when "ever"you drive!
But I'm not shore, thats why I put out the question here.
I also thought it was as you said, but I think the book says it differently.

I also think that from 96 and up, there where some major changes to the car. !?

ANy one else how knows!?

Old 11-03-2003, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
He's right, smile. Full time four wheel drive is not mean to be driven on asphalt, something about...well, I'm not gonna lie to you, I don't really know why. That's just the way it is. Asphalt will tear up a full time 4X4 system.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Smile,

91 Cherokee with the 4.0 is an excellent vehicle.(I had a 91 and an 88 Cherokee). I sold the 91 with 106K miles, and the guy I sold it to now has 150K on it with no major problems.

I had a sport, so I am unsure which 4wheel system you have(they offered a couple of configurations)--is your 4-wheel selector a lever mounted in the center console or a slide mounted in the dash?

If it is the lever in the console, I know it is a shift-on-the-fly(up to 50 MPH) from 2WD to 4WD high. You can use 4WD high pretty much at all times, although it isn't necessary on dry roads, and you will notice the "4WD hop" when doing tight turns, and your gas mileage will suffer. 4wd low should only be used if you are stuck, or are in some particularly nasty conditions(deep snow, mud, etc..) To enagage 4 low, you typically have to stop the vehicle, and you shouldn't exceed 35-40 MPH while it is engaged.

Enjoy the Jeep, I am currently on my 4th(79 Wagoneer)
69 Chevrolet C-20 Longhorn (family heirloom)
Old 11-03-2003, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

AAAAHHHHHGGH

Full Time can be used FULL TIME! This mode uses a center diff.

Part Time can be used PART TIME! NOT ON PAVEMENT! This mode is where you get wheel hop between the front and rear axles when cornering. No center diff.

I've had a few Jeeps. You've got one of the best four-wheel-drive systems ever in your Cherokee, and the 4.0 litre 6 cyl. is bulletbroof. Great vehicle. You can leave it in full time mode all winter. If you ever need more traction, switch to part-time, and you have locked the front and rear axles together. Now you have quite the snow machine!
Enjoy.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Dantilla is correct. Full time 4wd can even be used on dry pavement. Look on the back of your sun visor, there should be instructions about your 4wd system.

rben
Old 11-03-2003, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks Dantilla!
But really, thats a quit "bad" defintion for "Full time". I thought it was what the other also thought. But in the German manual It stood like you described it Dantilla. But I got veru unshore. The only thing, which I forgot to mention is that "Full Time" is in Green letters and Part Time is in Red. But then again, is the Part Time option closest to the 2W drive option. To go to "Full Time" I need to "Cross" Part time which again confuses me.
P.S Eric
The level is placed in the middle of the car next to the automatic gear shift level(On the ground almost, next to me right leg). As I understood it in the manual, I can shift from 2W to FUll Time/Part time whenever I want to during driving. The only prerequsite is when I want to drive with Part Time LOW gear. Then I need to drive VERY VERY Slow.

Thank for showing so much interest all, for helping me.
And all the nice words about the vehicle.
You know its a small dilemma owning a JEEP in Sweden. Shore you need the 4w drive sometimes, but the fule price is VERY high.
One litre of fuel costs ~$1.2 dollar

Have a Nice Winter all.

Old 11-03-2003, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Just in any one was courius :

4W drive switch :

The Jeep:

Old 11-05-2003, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Smile
Hmmm, MRpants.
I have a German instruction book for the car and I can a little of German....
if you can scan it in, post that part of the manual and I shall translate

Old 11-05-2003, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: