Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to SillyGirl
Unhappy Help! Steering Groan

I've looked back through old posts and can't find all the info I need so I thought I'd just ask... hope someone can help this clueless DIYer....

My 1987 924S suddenly started making a horrific groaning sound when the steering wheel is turned at low speed. I understand this is a power assist system. Fluid level looks ok, but god know how old the fluid is. The owners manual is missing and I will order one, but until then can someone explain (in exhaustive lay-man's detail, pretty please) how I would drain the fluid?

I gathered I should start there as there are no evident leaks.

Also, what lines should I check?

Should this fail, what should I try next? Is there anything I can do to stop further damage(?) until I fix it? Like pull the belt and disable it?

Just trying to keep my loyal little beast in shape myself the best I can!

Old 11-05-2003, 11:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

First of all,wellcome here! I hope to see lots of post from you!

I can help you little with your problem,but....it sound always,or only sometimes?

Mine´s is often ok,but sometimes does a terrible sound...Steering belt was changed and helped a little,but sometimes still sounds. Not important,only annoying...If it does always in yours,IMHO,check the belt.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to SillyGirl
It's *always* and loud! But at low speed, then it fades out. That's what has me thinking it's dirty fluid, cavitation, hole in a line... (see, did my research! :P )
Old 11-06-2003, 12:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

imminent pump failure, perhaps?
Old 11-06-2003, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

hey Sillygirl,

that sounds a little roode !

ok,
the problem you say is common on 44's and there are a few comments/fixes.

1> at low RPM the pump is under more preassure especially when the car is staionary (I get that noise too), reving your engine a bit should make the noise go away as there is more RPM driving the pump motor.

2> hydralic fluid looses it properties with time, generally if you dont have any leaks you should never loose any fluid, and all that is generally needed is a top up every now and again (Ive never done mine!) however, most people NEVER think of changing there fluid, unless they replace the rack. Think about it that oil could be years old, 4 5 years ?? Try and change the oil, will (accpording to one of my members) make a world of difference !

3> Also any air in the system could cause problems, I think the best way to bleed, is to remove the filler cap, run engine at about 2000RPM and turn the wheel slowly but steadily from lock to lock, looking for any bubbles

4> also and last resort is a worn pwer stearing pump

there you go you "sillygirl"

let us know how you get on

Ade

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 11-06-2003, 01:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

This is what I would do. No doubt someone else will chime in if I've got it wrong.

To drain the fluid out of the power steering system, you will need to undo one of the lines from the power steering pump to the steering rack.

The easy one to get to is the feed line. At this point the fluid is under obnoxiously high pressure, so the seals are rather important. The seals on this bolt are a pair of bronze crush washers that should be replaced. Rennbay has them check - http://www.rennbay.com/pump.html

So, jack up the front of the car. Remove the lower shield.

Put a catch pan under the bolt.

Clean the bolt and surrounding area - the last thing you want to do is loosen some dirt and have it find its way into steering rack.

Undo the bolt.

Get inside the car, start the engine and slowly turn the wheel from left lock to right lock and back again. Hold the wheel at each extreme for a few seconds. Repeat. Repeat again. Turn the engine off.

Replace the bolt, using the new washers. Add fluid to the reservoir. Start the engine. Add more fluid. Do the lock to lock thing again. Wait for the bubbles in the reservoir to go away.
Add more fluid. Do the lock to lock thing again. Check the fluid level.

Put the shield back on, lower the car and clean up.

Nigel
Old 11-06-2003, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
The banjo bolt that Rennbay supplies is awesome.....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-06-2003, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

May I add that the system uses ATF vs. pwr steering fluid(commonly overlooked). Also, the sytems reservoir has a built-in non-replaceable filter, I'd recommend anyone to replace it if doing any work on the system. best of luck
Old 11-06-2003, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Definately sounds like air in the system. I had exactly the same symptoms when my resevoir hose leaked and the level dipped to below acceptable. Bleed as above - takes ages to clear and may well require a few attempts to get it all out. Driving between bleed sessions seemed to help dislodge stubborn air pockets.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 11-06-2003, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

damn it's amazing how many helpful gentlemen we get whenever a female posts on the boards; something about a girl...er, woman interested in and willing to work on a car definitely makes my boat float
Old 11-06-2003, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

goodness, a girl on the BBS.
tell me the name isnt a Descendents reference?
Old 11-06-2003, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by highboost951
damn it's amazing how many helpful gentlemen we get whenever a female posts on the boards; something about a girl...er, woman interested in and willing to work on a car definitely makes my boat float
Not at all. I think women should be encouraged to work on their own vehicles. I look forward to the day my wife will be the one stuck out in a poorly lit, cold garage rolling around under a dirty car, desperately trying to get it sorted for the road in the morning whilst I get to watch the telly and roll a few J's.

Old 11-06-2003, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I think you misunderstood me darkskies, I was in london in late July for a week(loved it!), we may speak the same language but we definitely use it differently, ex. a poof, a wanker, a bugger were all new words for me but crisps vs. chips vs. fries, etc. I was saying that it's awesome what "sillygirl" is up to(if she really is a girl??), could just be some fruity guy or a bugger!

btw sillygirl, as a temp fix, yes you can cut the belt until you have really have time to fix it. it's inexpensive, just plan on cranking the wheel a lot harder, especially at slow parking lot speeds.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

whoa, let me edit myself there, they were not words for me!!! they were new words to my ears!!! definitely need to get that one straight!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by highboost951
whoa, let me edit myself there, they were not words for me!!! they were new words to my ears!!! definitely need to get that one straight!!!
Oho - a Freudian slip? Methinks the gentleman doth protest too much.

Old 11-06-2003, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
highboost951.......... you silly girl you....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-06-2003, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by ae1969
highboost951.......... you silly girl you....
He's not gay - honest!

Old 11-06-2003, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

thank god I'm laughing right now!
Old 11-06-2003, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

dark skies, did I spell/say bugger right?
Old 11-06-2003, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

it's funny that I can say that on here but if I wrote the U.S of A version I'd be censored! this is too funny.

Old 11-06-2003, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: