Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
Cool long time no post

WuZ Up!!!!!!!!!!!! anyways its been a while since ive either read or posted on here for a few reasons. 1) new job with 13 hour days, funstuff.... 2) you all know those pics of that kitten thats running away from the timing belt demons that are released when you snap the belt well i just got 2 that look just like that. and finally im plain broke and hearing of all the things that all you guys get just makes me want to go parts shopping.

anyways ive was a thinkin.... how much does a 944 with a good body and no motor cost? and is it had to put a functioning motor in one? heres the scenario.... i have my 88 ( yes 1988... every time i say it someone always says 5 min later 87 right?) 924S with a decent motor but the body isnt in that great of condition (drivers side gone). i love the body of the 44 too would rather have that than the 924S body. besides the body work there are lots o little things on the 24 that would nickle and dime me to death. would it be worth it to get a cheap 44 with no motor and just swap the motor over? tranny in my car is fine too. from everything ive read they are the same motor. suggestions? im open to all (execpt my tbelt would snap before i could afford a 951 so no im not getting one o those:-( )

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Not too difficult. Have to catch one before it hits the junk yards and the title changes.

Call around all of the Porsche shops and see if a customer doesn't want to fix a blown engine on a 944. Could be an 'S' model too. Or a turbo. Include the dealer too. If no one has a shell offer a reward if one comes in you can use.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-11-2003, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
well at the place i just started working at the first few days i was there i saw a white 944 in the lot... the other day as i was getting out of mine a mazda 626 pulled up behind me and say said excuse me?! i was like yes? to make a long story short it was the owner of the white 944... she wanted to know if i knew any good mechanics for the 44. first thing i said was broke your timing belt didnt ya?.... her answer "yeah, i didnt know it was that big of a deal though, after it broke i tried to drive it for about 10 more minutes..." my answer was "are you serious?! youre going to need more than some work done to it youre going to need a new motor probably" i informed her that not only did just a little piece of rubber break but god also killed a kitten and that it might be cheaper for her just to get another car. i think im ganna find out if shes willing to part with the shell for cheap. i might get lucky and get a good body tranny and everything else but a good motor, which of course i have in my car :-)

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
$500 for a non running 944. The uninformed owners will think it's worth six times that much. If the car is really clean then at the most $1,000. If they sqauk about expensive rims and tires then tell them they can keep them and go no higher than $500.

Don't know how she could have driven it ten more miles if the timing belt was broke.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver

Don't know how she could have driven it ten more miles if the timing belt was broke.
My thoughts exactly, engine won't run (even poorly) if the valves aren't opening and closing. Maybe they broke their balance belt?
Old 11-12-2003, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i asked her the same and she said it was 10 min not miles and that it really didnt drive, it just sorta coasted

Old 11-12-2003, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Coasted 10 minutes...

One long hill. Don''t think that Florida has any.

Old 11-12-2003, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: